The Student Room Group

Is Psychology worth taking at A-Level?

I think i've published this in the wrong section but im new so i'll apoligise now!

I want to become a Physiotherapist in the future and we are in the middle of picking out A-Levels at school at the moment.
As it stands I have currently chosen Biology and Physical Education. Would Psychology be worth taking or no?

If not, what other subject do yoyu guys suggest taking?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
waste of a subject.
Reply 2
Taking Psychology could be useful, as many injuries do have a psychological aspect. It could be good to have at least a basic understanding. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Amuroray
waste of a subject.

what do you suggest then?
Reply 4
Original post by bethany_gill
what do you suggest then?

Biology
chemistry
physics
English lit
economics
maths
History
Original post by Amuroray
waste of a subject.

Why is that, exactly? Do you have any knowledge of how it may or may not be relevant to physiotherapy?
There are much worse things to take at A Level looking towards a career in physiotherapy, I think. What's good about Psychology is that it's quite a nice mix of an art and a science subject, and there's a lot of variety, so you're bound to find at least one topic interesting.
Reply 7
TBH you're probably better off taking history, classics, philosophy, English lit, RS or a language but if you got full marks and **** that's gotta be better than getting a C in one of them.

Having done a psychology A level I do find it kinda lulsy when people bring up this 'mix of science and art'. Great, you used learned some basic statistics, that really isn't **** compared with physics, maths or chemistry and, given that most people are taking their A levels to get into a uni, you're again better of going with one of those subjects. A real science.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I think it would be good to have an understanding of the mental impact of health problems as a physiotherapist.

Also it is a really interesting subject and I'm sure you will enjoy it!
Reply 9
Original post by bethany_gill

The problem with A-Level Psychology is that it isn't set out well, and therefore if you're not very interested in the subject it can become incredibly tedious. I'd choose four subjects (from your original post it seems that you're taking three) so that you have the chance to drop it at AS-Level if you dislike it. Maybe English or Philosophy.
its useful for universities and jobs...but when you're actually studying it its the most boring subject ever!
i have my first exam on unit 1 next week and I havent even prepared :frown:
its not bad actually..really comes into good use later on at university and things. But when you;re actually studying it it can be the most boring subject ever!
I have my first exam next week and I havent even prepared! :frown:
Reply 12
Even though history, economics and all that seem like smart subjects, they're not always best for your subject! I do P.E, psychology, teacher education and philosophy - lots of sports courses (such as physio) even require and definitely favour that you do psychology because sport is so massively impacted by the mind too! Even though it may hav the rep of being a dossy subject, if it's relevant to your course and something that interests you then go for it!! I really enjoy it and I'd definitely recommend it! (plus you have to think of the grades at the end of the day - uni's would rather an A in psychology than a C in history!!)
It's completely upto you. I have heard of people studying psychology of sport and sport related things so it could be useful if you ever encounter that in your degree as it might provide you with a basic understanding of psych.
Reply 14
Take it, if you think you can cope with the work load, many people can cope in AS, but I know lots of people at my college who are stuck on psychology because there is just a ridiculous amount to memorise
Sports Psychology is just an application so you might feel it a waste of time studying different approaches such as the Social Approach, Cognitive Approach etc. However, The Biological approach will link up directly with biology and studying the various approaches will enrich your understanding of Sports Psychology.

I know someone who has a degree in Chemistry and is a Physiotherapist. So Chemistry might be useful.

If you want to approach your decision in a different way, Maths might be useful. If you have good foundations and you enjoy Maths then you should do that. You don't have to write as much, and i'm guessing since you have to write alot as a Biology student you can balance it out like that.
History and other subjects like History involve alot of writing (30 marks answers!) and they don't link up with your aim, but this will differ from person to person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending