The Student Room Group

Society VS. Technology

The social aspect of our society is headed in the wrong direction. Technology makes it easier for us to communicate, but as a byproduct it eliminates a huge amount of the real, human interaction that was commonplace back before we had text messaging and the internet.

There's nothing like standing in front of someone and looking them in the eyes when you're speaking to them, not even video chat can capture the true essence of it. Nowadays we can communicate much faster, but is the trade-off really worth it? Using all of these "instant gratification" forms of communication makes me feel more like a robot than a human being. Sure, many will argue and say "get with the times, dude!"... but the real question is, are we really ready for the "times"? I think technology is moving very quickly, and eventually we are going to find out that we aren't fast enough to keep up. I'm confident we will adapt to it all over time, but what will we lose along the way?
Reply 1
get with the times, dude!
Reply 2
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
But look at the benefits of technology; faster and more effective communication, interactive entertainment etc.

I like making an effort to see people and there is nothing more satisfying than going to any length to meet someone in person you want to. Onto 'interactive entertainment' fair, playing computer games off or online is a good laugh and its good to catch up with whatever on i player or have a laugh on youtube, but like OP said it might be too much...more and more people are limiting themselves and their 'fun' online rather than being outside... be it an hour a night or a whole weekend the real funs outside and nothing technology will ever reproduce even if its a holographic dream simulator or some sort nothing will match it (although it goes without saying that would be damn fun lol)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I think the benefits far outweigh the costs. There was an interesting documentary on this (Michio Kaku) and it examined how we may begin to lose our identity as we became more closely intertwined with technology both biologically (machines that can control or tackle depression by changing moods with a switch) and other means like Virtual Reality and the idea that you can be anyone you want to online. But look at the benefits of technology; faster and more effective communication, interactive entertainment etc.

I don't think we will ever fail to adapt to technology or be too 'slow' to keep up. Anything that we fail to adapt or which fails to implement itself successfully into the mainstream is deemed to be a failure and loses itself in obscurity because the masses do not understand it or use it.

Whilst these 'artificial' non-physical forms of communication may be commonplace and the usage may drastically increase in future, I don't think it would ever really replace real human interaction. A sort of similar analogy would the effect of cars, buses, planes, trains on walking.

I love Kaku!
Reply 4
You have a point. However, technology has helped people stay in touch and communicate while in the past, day to day conversations with friends was rare.
Reply 5
As an aside, it's also satisfying when technology (Facebook or other social networks) manage to connect you to people you've missed for years our who are too far away to just go out and meet.

I see what your saying and i do agree, there is a fine line between catching up and stalking however :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending