The Student Room Group

To get an A* at A2, all you need is an A in AS, right?

So, if you want to get an A* at A2, you need to get 80% in all AS modules and 90% in all A2 modules, don't you?

I'm only asking because I got a low A in my philosophy paper last year (81%), and am unsure if I'd still be able to get an A* (not that it's likely I'll get 90% this year)... but I'd still like to know.

I've heard that you need to get 80 UMS, rather than 80% ... and I understand UMS to be a mark based on the national grades or something *unsure* :s-smilie:

Can you get an A but still get lower than 80 UMS? I've lost my sheet of paper with my grades on so I can't check how many UMS I was awarded...

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in the area. This has probably already been asked... but I decided to ask again anyway.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Yes but 90% in A2 overall.

Move along.....

And wrong section.....

EDIT: nice one mods
(edited 13 years ago)
If you get 100% in the second year, and 60% in the first year you'd still get an A*. As long as you have at least 80% overall, including at least 90% in the A2 modules, then you're fine.
Not even that.

90% average in A2 (180 across C3 and C4 in Maths) and 80% average (480+/600) across all 6 modules.

AS could be 210, A2 270 = AS B, A2 A*; overall = A*
Reply 4
you can still get an A* but why bother? just take things easy, coast a bit, don't work and you'll enjoy college more.
Reply 5
I got two As in AS History. A2 History coursework I got an A which turned out to be a B, then another B in the A2 exam which I contest to this day, and ended up 2% away from an A.
Reply 6
Original post by TWF
Yes but 90% in A2 overall.

Move along.....

And wrong section.....

EDIT: nice one mods

Sorry. I'm horrible with choosing sections... I just thought that I couldn't go wrong posting in General Discussion

:colondollar:

Original post by ChestHair&SmallTum
Not even that.

90% average in A2 (180 across C3 and C4 in Maths) and 80% average (480+/600) across all 6 modules.

AS could be 210, A2 270 = AS B, A2 A*; overall = A*

Oh, so it's an average of everything that has to be 80%. Cool.

Original post by ViralRiver
If you get 100% in the second year, and 60% in the first year you'd still get an A*. As long as you have at least 80% overall, including at least 90% in the A2 modules, then you're fine.

Really? So somebody with 80% in AS, and 89% in A2 would only get an A, but somebody with 70% in AS, and 90% in A2 would get A*... seems a bit unfair.
Yep, that's correct. Annoying as it is, but a mark could be the difference between a B and an A* :wink: .
Reply 8
Original post by Liam_G
Really? So somebody with 80% in AS, and 89% in A2 would only get an A, but somebody with 70% in AS, and 90% in A2 would get A*... seems a bit unfair.

Surely if you got 70% and 90% that would even out to 80% which is only an A (because an A* is 90%)? Or am I not understanding how the grade is given? I thought you just get a percentage over two years, and 90% overall is an A*... Please correct me if I'm wrong. :biggrin:

EDIT: Ahh I googled it, and I'm completely wrong. I get it now!
(edited 13 years ago)
You can get a B at AS and still an A* at A2.

AS=70
A2=90

70 + 90 = 160
160/2 = 80

average of 80, A2 scores of 90 = A*
Reply 10
Original post by ballsack
you can still get an A* but why bother? just take things easy, coast a bit, don't work and you'll enjoy college more.

If your highest offer is 3A's like me then yeah you can do that.
Reply 11
Original post by ViralRiver
Yep, that's correct. Annoying as it is, but a mark could be the difference between a B and an A* :wink: .

So, correct me if I'm wrong but...

Say, hypothetically, you have a course, and each year is split into two grades (exam and Coursework). If you get 60% in the first two AS scores, and then two 100% grades in A2... You'd get an A*? Even though you got really low Grade Cs in first year?

And if you got 60% in both your AS grades (like above), and 100% in one of your A2 scores and 99% in the other (just one percent below the case above) You'd get a B?!

Is that right? It doesn't seem right...
Reply 12
Original post by Liam_G
So, correct me if I'm wrong but...

Say, hypothetically, you have a course, and each year is split into two grades (exam and Coursework). If you get 60% in the first two AS scores, and then two 100% grades in A2... You'd get an A*? Even though you got really low Grade Cs in first year?

And if you got 60% in both your AS grades (like above), and 100% in one of your A2 scores and 99% in the other (just one percent below the case above) You'd get a B?!

Is that right? It doesn't seem right...

You're right.
Reply 13
Hey, okay so it is possible to get an A* in a subject even if you got a B at AS level?

At AS Psychology (CIE), I got a B in one paper and an A in the second paper and I got a B overall: a high B technically.

So it is possible, if I work extremely hard, to bring it up to an A?

Yes, as long as you achieved a C at AS, you can get an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest