The Student Room Group

AQA History Totalitarianism - Exam Technique?

I've never had a problem with understanding history, but I've difficulty in expressing myself. Especially when it comes down to timed essays. I'm a slow worker, and it kind of sucks but I'm trying to work on it. Could anyone here who has done AQA history please comment on my exam technique?

First Question (Question A) - 12 Marks

Usually "explain...." or "how did...." style questions. My attempt is to write 3 detailed points (Resulting in about 3 paragraphs) and trying to link them together. Often opening with a sentence or two summarizing the situation at hand and concluding with a few setences, mostly trying to link the factors together. I also use PEE. I make a point, explain and/or elaborate the point and evaluate how effective it was. I hope this gets to about one side of paper.

Second Question (Question B) - 24 Marks

I hate these kinds of questions. This is where you have to argue perspectives and such. "How effective was....." or "To what extent was ..... detrimental towards...." etc. I try to make two points (Two paragraphs) against the statement and two points (Two Paragraphs) for the statement; trying to make it as balanced as possible. Again, trying to link the factors together and argue for and against, discussing which factors were more effective or detrimental or important or whatever. Once again, I try to make a point, elaborate/explain and evaluate it's significance to the topic. I'll try to conclude, giving my personal opinion and explaination. Seeing as it's double the first question in marks, I hope it would be two sides.

Also, I'll try to plan answers at the back of the paper. This might waste some time in the exam I guess, but hopefully it's worth it because I think it's more organised than trying to remember the whole plan in your head.

This is an improvement to my old exam technique, which was just write down a load of crap and hope for the best. Can anyone find any ways to improve on this exam technique? I'm hoping for a B at the least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending