The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL CHEMISTRY INTERVIEW, please help.

I have an interview for Chemistry and business management at UCL in February, have to stay there all day and I have no idea what to expect!
What type of questions will I be asked? Do I have to bring any projects or work that I've done? Anddd they apparently give you a general scientific knowledge question does anyone know what they're like?!
And I don't suppose anyone knows the ratio of students that they interview to the amount of students they make offers to?
Any answers to any questions would be reaaaallly appreciated! x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I had my Chemistry UCL interview in November and got an ABB offer. According to the students who I spoke to there, if you've been called for interview you're already pretty close to your offer and you've got a good chance. I can't offer any statistics, but my interview performance was pretty average and I got in! I didn't bring any written work but I was applying for Chem with European Language, it might be different for Business Management. Questions asked had no pertinence to language and they were general chem questions which you should be able to answer with a sound understanding of the subject and a bit of common sense.

Hope this helps :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by sebbus

Original post by sebbus
Hi,

I had my Chemistry UCL interview in November and got an ABB offer. According to the students who I spoke to there, if you've been called for interview you're already pretty close to your offer and you've got a good chance. I can't offer any statistics, but my interview performance was pretty average and I got in! I didn't bring any written work but I was applying for Chem with European Language, it might be different for Business Management. Questions asked had no pertinence to language and they were general chem questions which you should be able to answer with a sound understanding of the subject and a bit of common sense.

Hope this helps :smile:

did they ask you any specific questions about your personal statement?
Reply 3
Yeah, there were a couple of questions loosely based around the Personal Statement, for example I mentioned my interest in thermodynamics so he asked me about entropy. Make sure you can talk comfortably about what you've written down, and it doesn't hurt to do a bit of further reading. They're not trying to catch you out, the questions are generally quite simple if not challenging, they just want to see how you approach a situation. It helps if you think aloud rather than sit silently after being asked a question, to show you're giving it a go with what you know. Also, prepare yourself to be asked "Why Chemistry?", as I'm sure you have.
Reply 4
Thankyou so much for replying to this; I have been stressing out an unbelievable amount!! Hahaha, well done for getting your offer, absolutely amazing opportunity! Ahhhh feel so much better already, thankyou thankyou thankyou :smile: xxx
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
When I applied (2007) they also gave you a tour and an interesting lecture as part of the day, so I would just be relaxed about it!
Reply 6
Okay! I will trrrry chill out abit hahaha, thankssss very much! :smile: xx
Reply 7
I have an interview at UCL too, but for the Msci pure chemistry course. I'm really nervous as well! I was just wondering how much we need to be clued up on what's new in the world of chemistry at the moment; current issues etc. My interview is on monday :-S When's yours?
Reply 8
Original post by el jaco

Original post by el jaco
I have an interview at UCL too, but for the Msci pure chemistry course. I'm really nervous as well! I was just wondering how much we need to be clued up on what's new in the world of chemistry at the moment; current issues etc. My interview is on monday :-S When's yours?

i have two on the same day, 9th feb, is this a mistake from them cos theyre in both different departments??
Reply 9
Original post by el jaco

Original post by el jaco

that's so weird mine's on the 8th? and it's a masters course too, I assumed that there would just be everyone one the same day but maybe it's more private?!
Reply 10
You'll be absolutely fine... However in terms of questions asked, it's a real lottery that depends on your interviewer. For instance, I didn't get asked much Chemistry personal knowledge, in fact the most I was asked was the electrophillic addition of Hydrogen Bromide onto an alkene. However I know others were asked the bond angles of different molecules. Like people above have said, ensure that you know everything you have on your personal statement, to such an extent that you could answer questions on them.

I'm not trying to scare you, as it really is a relaxed day in a very friendly environment. Just make sure you know your stuff, the fact that you have an interview proves that you do! I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 11
Original post by haydyb123

You'll be absolutely fine... However in terms of questions asked, it's a real lottery that depends on your interviewer. For instance, I didn't get asked much Chemistry personal knowledge, in fact the most I was asked was the electrophillic addition of Hydrogen Bromide onto an alkene. However I know others were asked the bond angles of different molecules. Like people above have said, ensure that you know everything you have on your personal statement, to such an extent that you could answer questions on them.

I'm not trying to scare you, as it really is a relaxed day in a very friendly environment. Just make sure you know your stuff, the fact that you have an interview proves that you do! I wish you the best of luck!

Okay, sounds I'll just have to do a bit of revision before hand then! Thanks for your help! :smile: x
Reply 12
Mine's on tuesday actually. That's still kind of weird. I doubt very much that they would have made a mistake though! Should be fine. Thanks for the advice, I'm moderately confident now :P Good luck to all!
Reply 13
Original post by el jaco

Original post by el jaco
Mine's on tuesday actually. That's still kind of weird. I doubt very much that they would have made a mistake though! Should be fine. Thanks for the advice, I'm moderately confident now :P Good luck to all!

oh god see you there then, good luckkkkkkkkk!
Reply 14

Oh also forgot to askk, how many people are interviewing you? and are the questions just given to you like an exam paper or do you actually get asked them and have to speak the answers?!
Reply 15
Original post by almxo
Oh also forgot to askk, how many people are interviewing you? and are the questions just given to you like an exam paper or do you actually get asked them and have to speak the answers?!

1 interviewer, in a private room. Questions are asked verbally, pen and paper are given if needed! :smile:
Reply 16

1 interviewer, in a private room. Questions are asked verbally, pen and paper are given if needed! :smile:

ohh you're amazing thankyou ! :smile: x
Reply 17
Why have we all got it on different day? mine on the 15th feb......they sent a letter home but i dont know what time im supoosed to be there?? and do they send a letter bk to say where to go, because they only said that i should go to the Christopher gold lab.... Anyone else on the 15th?
Reply 18
I have an interview on 15th Feb as well. It's for medicinal chemistry though!
Reply 19
Original post by lin1
I have an interview on 15th Feb as well. It's for medicinal chemistry though!

What time do you have to be there? i applied for pure chemistry .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending