The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kevmeister
Order a dominos to cheer yourself up, just don't forget you have to pay for it up north, k?

Good lad. :smile:

How are you still making jokes about this? It's been months! Months!
Reply 1121
Bill Hicks is :coma:
Original post by Mess.
Bill Hicks is :coma:

Agreed. :yy:
Reply 1123
Original post by R-KAM
Go on.

I don't know, I was hoping you'd suggest one :rofl: Zombie fight?
LEGEND

Original post by Christien
How are you still making jokes about this? It's been months! Months!

As long as it still gets on your nerves I shall make the odd joke about it. And I know it'll always get on your nerves, ergo I'm in a win-win situation. :pierre:
:worm2:
Reply 1127
I am going to do a eulogy for my nan and I was thinking of ideas. I think doing a more general one that incorporates memories from everyone close to her would be better than making it over personal. Especially if, at the time, I don't feel able to read it.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips for such a thing as I have absolutely zero experience in this sort of situation.
Original post by Mess.
I am going to do a eulogy for my nan and I was thinking of ideas. I think doing a more general one that incorporates memories from everyone close to her would be better than making it over personal. Especially if, at the time, I don't feel able to read it.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips for such a thing as I have absolutely zero experience in this sort of situation.

I did one for my grandfather in the summer. :yy:

It's best to try and personalise it, and make it suited to what she was like as a person (if she was pretty serious then it wouldn't be worth trying to crack wise for the sake of it).

Apparently mine went down really well (probably helped that I'd had a fair amount of whiskey before I went into church that day to calm my nerves, but oh well), and the way I went about it was:

- General opening statement expressing grievance
- Earliest memory
- Other memories that will live on
- Common interests
- Recent events/memories
- Closing statement of grievance
Mess.
x

Colbert
x

RobbieC
x

I have a flat :awesome: I am SO EXCITED
Reply 1130
Original post by marcusmerehay
I did one for my grandfather in the summer. :yy:

It's best to try and personalise it, and make it suited to what she was like as a person (if she was pretty serious then it wouldn't be worth trying to crack wise for the sake of it).

Apparently mine went down really well (probably helped that I'd had a fair amount of whiskey before I went into church that day to calm my nerves, but oh well), and the way I went about it was:

- General opening statement expressing grievance
- Earliest memory
- Other memories that will live on
- Common interests
- Recent events/memories
- Closing statement of grievance

Thanks for the help :yy:

The opening is what I was really worrying about. I was thinking with opening about how it was incredibly sad that she has now passed away but it was a beautiful and dignified end with all of her children at her bedside.
My general memory of my nan is always making everyone feel beyond welcome at her home. Feeding you goddam tonnes of cocoa, crackers, toast and ice cream :mmm: So I was thinking of getting a few memories from the older grandkids and her four children and making them into this section. I was thinking of doing this as she has had alzheimers pretty severely for the last 5 or so years so she hasn't been too active recently :sad:
What type of thing would a closing statement be btw?

Edit: I was thinking of perhaps putting a short poem in. Maybe that could be the end?
Reply 1131
Original post by isawsparks89

:awesome: Didn't take you too long! Have you celebrated yet :woo:
Original post by Mess.
:awesome: Didn't take you too long! Have you celebrated yet :woo:

It's cos my erasmus guide was FANTASTIC although we are kinda in the middle of nowhere but it's cool...also I am goig to get lost tomorrow :s-smilie: (if i decide to leave teh house, my arms are DEAD i do not even know why im still typing...)

celebrated? nahhh man not yet. Although theres a ****load of beer and wine in the kitchen (which they were :colondollar: about, like im gonna JUDGE THEM BAD SELVES :h:)

How are you doing man? I may collapse in a bit in a heap cos my arms are dead and my brain is mush but if thatrs the case iill reply in the morning
Original post by Mess.
Thanks for the help :yy:

The opening is what I was really worrying about. I was thinking with opening about how it was incredibly sad that she has now passed away but it was a beautiful and dignified end with all of her children at her bedside.
My general memory of my nan is always making everyone feel beyond welcome at her home. Feeding you goddam tonnes of cocoa, crackers, toast and ice cream :mmm: So I was thinking of getting a few memories from the older grandkids and her four children and making them into this section. I was thinking of doing this as she has had alzheimers pretty severely for the last 5 or so years so she hasn't been too active recently :sad:
What type of thing would a closing statement be btw?

Edit: I was thinking of perhaps putting a short poem in. Maybe that could be the end?

Imagine my horror at hijacking the thread with my stuff, I'm so sorry :frown: Hadn't seen this till just now. That's really sweet.

How about this...? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_stand_at_my_grave_and_weep
Sorry to hear about your gran, Mess. :console:
Reply 1135
It's cos my erasmus guide was FANTASTIC although we are kinda in the middle of nowhere but it's cool...also I am goig to get lost tomorrow :s-smilie: (if i decide to leave teh house, my arms are DEAD i do not even know why im still typing...)

celebrated? nahhh man not yet. Although theres a ****load of beer and wine in the kitchen (which they were :colondollar: about, like im gonna JUDGE THEM BAD SELVES :h:)

How are you doing man? I may collapse in a bit in a heap cos my arms are dead and my brain is mush but if thatrs the case iill reply in the morning

By middle of nowhere, do you mean Hostel-esq :mmm: You best not try and kidnap us when we visit. I will not be amused ffs :colonhash:

They will figure out soon enough that lots of alcohol is nothing to be :colondollar: about :awesome:

How long have you been up for today? I am glad to hear everything has gone well and you got there safely though :h:

Imagine my horror at hijacking the thread with my stuff, I'm so sorry :frown: Hadn't seen this till just now. That's really sweet.

How about this...? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_stand_at_my_grave_and_weep

That is one of the poems I was thinking of atm.

The other is:

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul set free

Miss me a little - but not too long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss me - but let me go

For this is a journey that we must all take
And each must go alone
It's all a part of the Master's plan
A step on the road to home

When you are lonely, and sick of heart
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds
Miss me - but let me go

I don't think my mum wants me to do a euology because of the strain it can put on a person. But I am not very expressive emotionally, so I think this is my way of grieving :beard:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY good work indeed. Efficient too wtf, how was it all sorted so soon? Are you living with any weird Spanish people btw :grumble:

Are you in that Alcala place, looked it up on Googlemaps the other day, not too far out but hopefully the trains run until late otherwise it's going to be taxis all the way :colonhash: Unless Rob is fit by then and can jog with us all on his back ffs :fan:
Original post by Mess.
By middle of nowhere, do you mean Hostel-esq :mmm: You best not try and kidnap us when we visit. I will not be amused ffs :colonhash:

They will figure out soon enough that lots of alcohol is nothing to be :colondollar: about :awesome:

How long have you been up for today? I am glad to hear everything has gone well and you got there safely though :h:

That is one of the poems I was thinking of atm.

The other is:

I don't think my mum wants me to do a euology because of the strain it can put on a person. But I am not very expressive emotionally, so I think this is my way of grieving :beard:

That one's lovely. And I think a eulogy is a lovely idea, we had one at my granddad's funeral but I stupidly kept an eye that other people were ok ('stupidly' as in DO NOT people-watch at funerals. It made me cry lots to see others wipe tears :s-smilie:). There's also this one http://www.bigeye.com/donotgo.htm but I think the other two are better. Although EVERYONE picks the 'do not stand at my grave...' and all. I just really really like it though. Used to be in my sig and nowww katy perry is there with her boobaloobas, i am a disgrace

Don't be so silly :colonhash: I'd describe where it is...but I'm not TOO sure myself where i am - it's not madrid though, madrid is half an hour away by car but we can get trains there...I have *some* ideas of where to go and stuff but we'll sort that out when you guys get here, ive got travel guides with me and stuff....ANYWAY WHAT WAS I SAYING yeah we're staying in alcala, the flats about a 20min walk away fromt he centre. Also I will not kidnap you, i can barely carry my suitcase ffs let alone you guys....

Well...I slept weirdly. Coat for a pillow which still wasnt enough, slept for about 2 hours waking up once, then was woken by the PSYCHO ALARM which always shocks me, put off getting out of bed for a while, but ive been walking around with a heavy bag all day, and then had to drag suitcase around for a good few hours (ive got dry skin and its ruined my hands) so im an achey mess. Was nearly asleep in the pub earlier oh my. Been up since 8am UGHHHH i should really to bed.
Original post by Colbert
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY good work indeed. Efficient too wtf, how was it all sorted so soon? Are you living with any weird Spanish people btw :grumble:

Are you in that Alcala place, looked it up on Googlemaps the other day, not too far out but hopefully the trains run until late otherwise it's going to be taxis all the way :colonhash: Unless Rob is fit by then and can jog with us all on his back ffs :fan:

A taxi from madrid to alcala is about 40euro so 10euro each which I PERSONALLY dont find too bad. Otherwise, ive got a mate in salamanca and we can hopefully kip on her floor (they have this theatre-turned-pub thing the last time i went which is awesome, so I think that maybe a day in sally is on the cards? beautiful city. ALTHOUGH thinking now, spanish night life starts late and ends late (say, 7am?) which I have never done, so we could do that and just get the first metro back and look like utter states? also up for that - no one knows us, it's fine.

Sorted out by my erasmus guide who had a friend with a spare room :suith: I live with a pedro and a monica, they seem nice :smile:

I also just read 'pedro' as 'p(a)edo' i am actually going to bed now.
Reply 1139
That one's lovely. And I think a eulogy is a lovely idea, we had one at my granddad's funeral but I stupidly kept an eye that other people were ok ('stupidly' as in DO NOT people-watch at funerals. It made me cry lots to see others wipe tears :s-smilie:). There's also this one http://www.bigeye.com/donotgo.htm but I think the other two are better. Although EVERYONE picks the 'do not stand at my grave...' and all. I just really really like it though. Used to be in my sig and nowww katy perry is there with her boobaloobas, i am a disgrace

Don't be so silly :colonhash: I'd describe where it is...but I'm not TOO sure myself where i am - it's not madrid though, madrid is half an hour away by car but we can get trains there...I have *some* ideas of where to go and stuff but we'll sort that out when you guys get here, ive got travel guides with me and stuff....ANYWAY WHAT WAS I SAYING yeah we're staying in alcala, the flats about a 20min walk away fromt he centre. Also I will not kidnap you, i can barely carry my suitcase ffs let alone you guys....

Well...I slept weirdly. Coat for a pillow which still wasnt enough, slept for about 2 hours waking up once, then was woken by the PSYCHO ALARM which always shocks me, put off getting out of bed for a while, but ive been walking around with a heavy bag all day, and then had to drag suitcase around for a good few hours (ive got dry skin and its ruined my hands) so im an achey mess. Was nearly asleep in the pub earlier oh my. Been up since 8am UGHHHH i should really to bed.

I have heard the 'rage' one before. I like that poem on its own merits tbh, but for a funeral I think it could be too agressive for some people :unsure:
I think at the moment it is a choice between the one I posted before and this one
When I come to the end of my journey
And I travel my last weary mile
Just forget if you can, that I ever frowned
And remember only the smile

Forget unkind words I have spoken
Remember some good I have done
Forget that I ever had heartache
And remember I've had loads of fun

Forget that I've stumbled and blundered
And sometimes fell by the way
Remember I have fought some hard battles
And won, ere the close of the day

Then forget to grieve for my going
I would not have you sad for a day
But in summer just gather some flowers
And remember the place where I lay

And come in the shade of evening
When the sun paints the sky in the west
Stand for a few moments beside me
And remember only my best

I am going to scout about though, read a few things and see if I can see anything I prefer.

The funeral isn't until the first week of February :lolwut: So many people waiting due to the snow :sad:

I am sure after a month you will figure something out :h: Make sure you find some 80's place or at least something that isn't europop and the Black Eyed Peas :facepalm2:
Something Katy Perrys boobs would be great though :yep:

Psycho alarms are always amusing :mmm: They do not let you sleep in though the selfish gits :colonhash:

Latest