The Student Room Group

When can you say "I am fluent in X" ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hannah_dru
Actually you'd probably say: Weil du ein Arschloch bist.

The one achievement I had over my whole life was being able to say dickhead in German and you took that away from me..........

seriously though, why would it by arschloch? why not penis head?
Original post by adam_zed
The one achievement I had over my whole life was being able to say dickhead in German and you took that away from me..........

seriously though, why would it by arschloch? why not penis head?

I'm sorry!

I've honestly never heard that be used. It's got results on Google but Arschloch seems more common (or Schwachkopf).
Reply 22
I'm sorry!

I've honestly never heard that be used. It's got results on Google but Arschloch seems more common (or Schwachkopf).

well I think I would be a bit of a mug to deny your superior knowledge here considering your degree! Nonetheless, I will use your words when I go to Munich in Feb, and I will exit the beer hall at closing time screaming "Arschloch" or "Shwachkopf" purely because I am British, and its like the law or somink to go abroad, get drunk and act like a douche?
Original post by Lizia

I'd also say the accent is quite important as well. Not that you can pass as a native speaker, but that you're good enough that a native would struggle to be certain exactly where you're from. After living in France, my accent went from "Oh hi, English girl speaking French. I'll talk to you in English all the time" to "I can tell you're not French, but where are you from?" I'd hesitate to call people fluent if they have a strong enough accent that it interferes with their conversations. And not in a cliché "PARLAY VOOO ONGLAY" way, but even just putting the stress on the wrong syllables, which throws native speakers off immensely and to me prevents you from being considered fluent.

I completely agree. Accent is a big part of fluency in my opinion.

For example, this chap here (a Foreign Office spokesman), has an excellent command of Persian vocab and speaks with confidence, but his accent is absolutely god awful. Whilst I'd say that he's fluent in the theoretical aspects of the language, i.e. grammar, vocab, etc, I think native speakers would be somewhat flummoxed by his way of speaking.
Tbh, I wouldn't claim myself fluent in any language until I was thinking in the language xD
well I think I would be a bit of a mug to deny your superior knowledge here considering your degree! Nonetheless, I will use your words when I go to Munich in Feb, and I will exit the beer hall at closing time screaming "Arschloch" or "Shwachkopf" purely because I am British, and its like the law or somink to go abroad, get drunk and act like a douche?

Enjoy :biggrin: I lived outside of Munich and I went there. Tbh they probably won't notice cos they can get just as bad when it comes to the Oktoberfest!!
Reply 26
Enjoy :biggrin: I lived outside of Munich and I went there. Tbh they probably won't notice cos they can get just as bad when it comes to the Oktoberfest!!

Really? Was that on a placement? One of my favorite Euro cities though I went there when it was sunny and warm. Ha I have heard, I met a guy from Munich on an italian course i went on and he said they love clubbing there!
Really? Was that on a placement? One of my favorite Euro cities though I went there when it was sunny and warm. Ha I have heard, I met a guy from Munich on an italian course i went on and he said they love clubbing there!

Yeah I was on my placement year last year. They do but some of their taste in music is a bit old :biggrin: The pub I was in started playing stuff like Bomfunk MC's and Limp Bizkit.
Reply 28
When you can say "You are a dickhead" in that language. I consider myself nearly fluent in German bar a few grammatical/spelling mistakes .weil du bist ein pimmel kopf"!

I could say you're a dickhead in Spanish when I was in year 10 and I wasn't fluent then :smile:

And just for the sake of saying it, it's "Eres gilipollas" in Spanish
(edited 13 years ago)

Go for Arschloch, it's more stylish (I'm a native German speaker).
It's even worse when people say they "I speak the following languages" because that implies anything above a very basic standard but sounds deceptively impressive. For example, Arsene Wenger or something allegedly "speaks" 13 langauges. I wonder what his standard in each of those languages is.

There isn't really any set point where you are fluent, it's a spectrum. But I'd say the signs of higher fluency are when you are able to start thinking in the target language.

However, for people who may want to write "I am fluent in X" on a job application for example, it's far better to take a language qualification and then mention your score in that.

Original post by Lizia
But I find people who study languages tend to set the bar for fluency a lot higher than the average person. Most people would probably consider it "able to have a chat about most things".

Really? I've always seen it happen the other way around. I often see people who are studying/learn languages set the bar a lot lower so they call themselves "fluent".
Original post by cuche
Hi,

I'm on my gap year in Spain and am hoping I will be fluent in Spanish by the Summer. However when can you say "I am fluent in Spanish" (or in other matters for that language) as the boundaries for being fluent aren't that defined.

For me fluency means:

- No translation to or from English whatsoever
- being able to read knowing 99% of the words; perhaps one word you don't know every 400 words. Not only is it about understanding the words but also understanding everything that you're reading, no matter if some words are not understood.
- being able to understand everything which you hear, with the exception to some words as stated in the above.
- being able to speak confidently without translation using both colloquial and formal phrases and also idioms with an extensive vocabulary.
- being able to write with the above conditions.
- being able to think in the language almost constantly when speaking to others in spanish, writing etc.
- being fully understood by native speakers but NOT necessarily having a perfect accent.

More or less what I consider to be fluency is the above, more or less - what do you guys think of it?

With Spanish I'm able to talk/speak/write/listen to it without translating to or from English, I'm able to think in it sometimes randomly (even in England :s-smilie:) and also when I want to (frequently its when I can be bothered to put the effort in). A lot of the time I might speak to someone and forget if it was in Spanish or in English. (if the person speaks spanish and english of course). When I write in Spanish, its no longer possible to "explain what I wanted to say in English" because I wrote it in Spanish thinking in Spanish. When I go to the cinema in Spain I understand most of it, only about 15-30 words in each film (1.5 hours) that I don't understand (probably because its conversational Spanish). When I came back to Spain I've spoken a couple of times to my sister in Spanish.

I'm planning on learning idioms, reading newspapers and books to improve on becoming fluent.

So, when will I become fluent?!

Are you taking the piss? You understand everything apart from "15-20 words" during a 90 minute film and you don't believe yourself fluent in Spanish?

Seriously?!

Solo puedo hablar un poquito en espanol (lo siento, no estoy a tiempo de buscar para tildes en mi ordenador) pero me parece que entiendes mucho mas que lo que yo consideraria es el nivel de una persona quien tiene un conocimiento muy bien no solo de la lengua pero la cultura espanola tambien, y por lo tanto, soy del opino que eres fluido. Si quieres leer un periodoco espanol, obviamente, sus habilidades mejorara pero, como he dicho, ya tienes una destreza que es envidiable enormemente. El Pais, BBC Mundo y otros medios de comunicacion imparciales proporcionan una base desde que puedes perfeccionar

(hopefully that's all right, my current A2 Spanish is a little dodgy to say the least!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by cuche
Hi,

I'm on my gap year in Spain and am hoping I will be fluent in Spanish by the Summer. However when can you say "I am fluent in Spanish" (or in other matters for that language) as the boundaries for being fluent aren't that defined.

For me fluency means:

- being able to read knowing 99% of the words; perhaps one word you don't know every 400 words. Not only is it about understanding the words but also understanding everything that you're reading, no matter if some words are not understood.
- being able to understand everything which you hear, with the exception to some words as stated in the above.
- being able to speak confidently without translation using both colloquial and formal phrases and also idioms with an extensive vocabulary.
- being able to think in the language almost constantly when speaking to others in spanish, writing etc.
- being fully understood by native speakers but NOT necessarily having a perfect accent.

More or less what I consider to be fluency is the above, more or less - what do you guys think of it?

With Spanish I'm able to talk/speak/write/listen to it without translating to or from English, I'm able to think in it sometimes randomly (even in England :s-smilie:) and also when I want to (frequently its when I can be bothered to put the effort in). A lot of the time I might speak to someone and forget if it was in Spanish or in English. (if the person speaks spanish and english of course). When I write in Spanish, its no longer possible to "explain what I wanted to say in English" because I wrote it in Spanish thinking in Spanish. When I go to the cinema in Spain I understand most of it, only about 15-30 words in each film (1.5 hours) that I don't understand (probably because its conversational Spanish). When I came back to Spain I've spoken a couple of times to my sister in Spanish.

I'm planning on learning idioms, reading newspapers and books to improve on becoming fluent.

my current uni flat mate told me a couple of weeks back that she was a very good french speaker during year 13 and the exam period. she told me how she had many dreams in french...for me, this is a huge sign of being fluent. when i have dreams, everyone speaks english. when i speak german to my uncle i think in english. a couple of days after we had this conversation she told me the last two nights that she had dreamt in french again, despite not speaking much french in months (may exams till november at uni)...so yeah. involuntary thoughts in the language do it for me.
Reply 33
Original post by J1mjam
my current uni flat mate told me a couple of weeks back that she was a very good french speaker during year 13 and the exam period. she told me how she had many dreams in french...for me, this is a huge sign of being fluent. when i have dreams, everyone speaks english. when i speak german to my uncle i think in english. a couple of days after we had this conversation she told me the last two nights that she had dreamt in french again, despite not speaking much french in months (may exams till november at uni)...so yeah. involuntary thoughts in the language do it for me.

The problem with me is that I've never had a dream where people speak ... so for me I presume it not possibly. I think I'm strange.
Reply 34
Original post by J1mjam

Dreams mean nothing. Just because you think you're speaking a certain language in your dream, doesn't mean you are. People dream all the time that Person X did something in Place Y their dreams, despite it not looking anything like Person X or Place Y, they 'just knew it was them'. The same is entirely possible for languages. Involuntary thoughts, I would agree. But dreams, absolutely not.

Original post by innerhollow
Really? I've always seen it happen the other way around. I often see people who are studying/learn languages set the bar a lot lower so they call themselves "fluent".

I mean people learning them to a decent level. Sure, you get silly GCSE or A-level kids who think they're fluent, but I don't know anyone who studies them to degree level or properly outside of school who would call themselves fluent, even if they're near-perfect.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Buenas, no estoy tomando el pelo de nadie, es verdad que entiendo casi todo. Por que dices que solo puedes hablar un poquito cuando lo estudias para A Level? He leído lo que has escrito y no lo has acertado todo bien, intenta pensar más en español cuando escribes!!

Tengo suerte con los acentos ya que me compré un portátil cuando estaba en españa que lleva todas las teclas para escribir perfecto no sólo en español e inglés sino también en francés entre otros. No creo que domine el español por la razón simple de que no tengo mucha confianza cuando lo hablo - es decir que cuando tenga que hablar con hombres de negocio (uno de argentina y uno de cataluña, ej.) a veces tengo miedo que no me puedo expresar correctamente pero cada vez más esto lo voy superando. Además aun hay muchos modismos que no entiendo, ej. "mucho ruido y pocas nueces" no entendi pero ahora es unos de mis favoritos! Otro que no entendía: "Dani va a su bola como quien dice"... mi amigo me ha explicado lo siguiente: "Es una frase hecha que significa que dani actúa por su cuenta, sin tener en cuenta los detalles con los que alguien le ha dicho". Asimismo no creo que me vayan bien los periodicos ni los textos especializados (ya que no tengo un vocabulario muy grande). Acabo de intentar leer el artículo siguiente (he pegado los siguientes parrafos y he puesto en negrita las palabras que no entiendo):

Ya se había dicho que Facebook no pensaba integrarse al mercado accionario pero hoy se publicó en un memorando de la compañia su intención de cotizar en la bolsa neoyorquina

NUEVA YORK, ESTADOS UNIDOS (06/ ENE/ 2011).- La conocida red social Facebook podría llevar a cabo su salida a Bolsa en abril de 2012, según detalla un memorando que la compañía ha enviado a sus potenciales inversores, según revela hoy The Wall Street Journal en su web.

La firma, que está reuniendo fondos para aumentar su capacidad financiera, desvela en ese documento de cien páginas que 2012 sería la fecha elegida para convertirse en una compañía cotizada o, al menos, para empezar a hacer públicas sus cuentas a través de la Comisión del Mercado de Valores de Estados Unidos (SEC, por su sigla en inglés).

Por eso no domino el español o que?!

Original post by TheMeister
Are you taking the piss? You understand everything apart from "15-20 words" during a 90 minute film and you don't believe yourself fluent in Spanish?

Seriously?!

Solo puedo hablar un poquito en espanol (lo siento, no estoy a tiempo de buscar para tildes en mi ordenador) pero me parece que entiendes mucho mas que lo que yo consideraria es el nivel de una persona quien tiene un conocimiento muy bien no solo de la lengua pero la cultura espanola tambien, y por lo tanto, soy del opino que eres fluido. Si quieres leer un periodoco espanol, obviamente, sus habilidades mejorara pero, como he dicho, ya tienes una destreza que es envidiable enormemente. El Pais, BBC Mundo y otros medios de comunicacion imparciales proporcionan una base desde que puedes perfeccionar

(hopefully that's all right, my current A2 Spanish is a little dodgy to say the least!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
The points on your list are all important but I would add something about grammar.

IMO if someone makes grammatical mistakes then they are not fluent, even if they are communicating and making themselves understood.

The comments about being fluent when you can read broadsheets or watch films with no problem understanding miss the point IMO. It is definitely an achievement to reach a level where you don't need to make any effort to understand a foreign language, but language learners' passive skills (reading and listening) often develop to a higher level than their speaking and writing skills. For me, fluency means you can speak and write effortlessly with correct grammar, suitable vocab and can easily adapt your "style" to suit the occasion.
Reply 37
Original post by cuche
Hi,

For me fluency means:

The best way to prove your fluency in a language is to pass your CEFR exam at C2 level. Once you pass at that level, you can consider yourself as fluent as a native.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

Definition of C2 level:-

Can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read. Can summarise information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation. Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations.

I'll believe you're fluent in your target language when you pass this exam.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
if you can work in that country.
When you can express emotion in a foreign language. Very difficult thing to do. After 8 years of being a competent French speaker, living in Paris, I still struggle to express emotion and really explain my opinions about complex subjects i.e philosophy and politics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending