The Student Room Group

anyone here started a cs degree with no experience of programming?

hi all,

has anyone here ever started a cs degree with zero experience and knowledge of programming?

if so, how are you getting on at your cs degree??

thanks
Reply 1
One of my friends did and he found it rock hard but got better as he went on.
Reply 2
Original post by SPMS
One of my friends did and he found it rock hard but got better as he went on.

what uni?
Reply 3
Original post by bloomblaze
what uni?

Manchester
Reply 4
I have a friend at Bristol on the four year course who didn't do any programming before hand (except VB crap). He's doing fine and is in his second year.

That said, he's crazy good at Maths and the course seems very maths orientated which obviously helps him. No complaints though and to be honest, I think most universities don't expect that much since the programming taught in schools is pretty useless most of the time - no offence to anyone, you know what I mean though.
Reply 5
Over half of every year's intake at Imperial have never programmed before - but the course is ridiculously intense in teaching you the concepts and by the end of it most people are very good programmers. This is pretty much the same at a lot of universities - in that they like to train you from the bottom up. The first language we learn is Haskell - completely different in approach and style to the traditional C-like languages of Java, C, C++ and C# that most people who learn by themselves start on. This gives everyone a level playing field as hardly anyone has ever even heard of it let alone played with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending