The Student Room Group

When should you start revising for GCSEs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If your not very clever start it early, if your a natural do it like week before... I started ages before exam lol
Reply 21
Great tips
I started in the Easter holidays and revised much more intensively when study leave started. It does depend on the individual, but I think starting too soon would be v stressful, as would leaving it until the very last minute.
Also, it varies by subject. I revised far more for Sciences and History than Food Tech :closedeyes: and didn't really revise for French or Spanish at all.
Reply 23
I think it entirely depends on each individuals exam technique, memory and how much you know of the topic being revised.

but it's good that you start early. :smile:
Original post by Theconomist
2 weeks before the exam.
A*A*A*A*AAAB

woah that's what I wanna get you know except the B:colondollar: . any tips?
im going in yr 10 and currently in summer break. should I revise because Really want to do all my GCSEs especially math, English,science (??) early next year in yr10. Does this mean I still have to do theexams in yr 11 or is it my choice? And i know If you do the early exam the bestof TWO exams counts into your grade. Plz help.
yours Robs :wink:
Original post by Alex-hello
If your not very clever start it early, if your a natural do it like week before... I started ages before exam lol

lol maybe ill do the same. what did u get?
Original post by harry3
make notes really early, like 4 weeks then all you have to do it re read them! worked for me, 5A*'s 5A's!

what in yr 10?
Really want to do all my GCSEs especially math, English,science (??) early next year in yr10. Does this mean I still have to do theexams in yr 11 or is it my choice? And i know If you do the early exam the bestof TWO exams counts into your grade. Plz help.
I make sure that I understand things, and if I can be bothered make some flashcards or something. Come exam time is when real revision come into play - If you're insecure like me than start to revise lightly quite early feb/march and than do more and more such as past papers as the exam gets closer.
Original post by Strom
I make sure that I understand things, and if I can be bothered make some flashcards or something. Come exam time is when real revision come into play - If you're insecure like me than start to revise lightly quite early feb/march and than do more and more such as past papers as the exam gets closer.

Ok thank fo ur reply. im still in yr10 but an any advice, sites I can use for English and science coursework.
on urself, r u a student or finished ur exams (gcse) how u cope with it.any advice for soo to be 15 year old boy going into yr 10?
ps: I wooulnt say insecure but my weakness is I doubt myself. coincidence to my sign VIRgo. althought I don't believe in it.
Original post by robbylove
Ok thank fo ur reply. im still in yr10 but an any advice, sites I can use for English and science coursework.
on urself, r u a student or finished ur exams (gcse) how u cope with it.any advice for soo to be 15 year old boy going into yr 10?
ps: I wooulnt say insecure but my weakness is I doubt myself. coincidence to my sign VIRgo. althought I don't believe in it.

http://www.my-gcsescience.com/ Has ALL information required for AQA exams, but other exam boards can use it too.

I've just finished year 10. My advice is not to worry. Work hard and pay attention in class. If you don't understand something, ask straight away or revise it when you get home.
This means when your actualy exams come, you'll be revising rather than re-learning.
I was lazy at the beggining of the year, getting Ds and Cs. I realised that I wanted to go to Oxbridge, so I upped my game and came out of year 10 with As & Bs predicted. It isn't perfect but it proves that progress can be made.

I recommend participating in class whenever you can, as it will help to build your speaking confidence.
I'm not a confident person either, but working hard, participating and believing in myself has benefited me greatly
Good luck with your gcses.
Reply 30
I just got into year 10.
I revise currently by doing things such as:
Doing my homework the day I get it
Going over my notes / Expanding them later in the day
Reading history and geography magazines
Using an app such as DUOLINGO! (For 25 minutes a day(The app is good get it))
I also write LOTS of notes in class, and revise during lunch
And I read through past papers and guides to get to know what I will have to do
Another good thing is underlining key words from your notes, so you are assessing your notes and going over them subconsciously whilst aiding yourself for future revision and study.

I do all of these things btw.
When your teachers tell you or when inverntion starts or when you get your exam time table........
Reply 32
I started at the start of Easter - about 6 weeks before the exams started. And then did past papers in the days leading up to the exam - if you have the knowledge and exam technique, you'll be fine.
Reply 33
I started on and off from March, and properly (6hrs a day) from Easter onwards. It's not as much as some people but I got some swaggy grades :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
go home and revise everything u do in school on the same day! and start revising about a month or two before ur exam so that u can just go over everything and just spend the rest of the time til ur exam doing loads and loads of practice tests
From day 1 of the GCSE course!

You're approaching November now. You should get your skates on. From GCSE you find revision is just a constant process throughout a course.

Whether its reading, rewriting notes or watching additional material outside of your usual.
Deffo start revising now,
I didn't until easter and I regret it major, don't go crazy but just do like half an hour or an hour a day and you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest