Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Putting money into someone else's bank account

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a silly question, but I need to be sure

I owe my brother some money and I need to put the money in his account and I've already got his bank details. He's with NatWest and I'm with Lloyds TSB. Can I just go into my local Lloyds branch nearby and fill in the slip? Or do I have to travel and go to a NatWest Branch and fill in the slip?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    id say try telephone banking or online banking... then you dont have to go anywhere
    (im tempted to say you have to go to natwest but i wrote that then went ahhh im not so sure any more lol know you used to have to... but now you can do amazing things like pay cheques into cash points!! (my new favourite thing to do it puts a little print out on n everything!!!) this was a pretty useless reply sorry )
    x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesLanek)

I owe my brother some money and I need to put the money in his account and I've already got his bank details. He's with NatWest and I'm with Lloyds TSB. Can I just go into my local Lloyds branch nearby and fill in the slip? Or do I have to travel and go to a NatWest Branch and fill in the slip?
    im pretty sure you will have to go to natwest
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ring them up and find out so you aren't making pointless trips
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Either go to Natwest and fill out a paying in slip with your brothers details and pay in the money as cash or a cheque or if you have internet banking you can just do it from there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle4)
    Either go to Natwest and fill out a paying in slip with your brothers details and pay in the money as cash or a cheque or if you have internet banking you can just do it from there.
    This.

I can't believe some of the responses above lol.

You can only deposit money from a branch of the bank where the account is held at. You just need sort-code, account number & name.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Easiest to do it online
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you have to go to Natwest as that's where his account is held. not tsb
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can do it at either.

If you pay it in at his bank, you'll need a cheque or cash and a paying in slip.
    If you do it at your bank you should be able to ask them to make a free BACs transfer over the counter which is the same system as with internet banking
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

How are you planning to pay him? Cash or by transfer? For cash you will need to go to his bank; natwest, and to transfer the money from his account to yours without withdrawing the cash you need to go to your own bank.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just do BACS transfer over phone, much easier.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can do it at Lloyds. However this would be a transfer and there may be a fee (Natwest charge £20 to do a transfer in-branch, not sure what if anything Lloyds charge).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Can you not do it online?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    You can do it at Lloyds. However this would be a transfer and there may be a fee (Natwest charge £20 to do a transfer in-branch, not sure what if anything Lloyds charge).
    Erm what? I've done transfers to various accounts and never paid :/

Try inbranch. Could you not write a cheque?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    id say try telephone banking or online banking... then you dont have to go anywhere
    (im tempted to say you have to go to natwest but i wrote that then went ahhh im not so sure any more lol know you used to have to... but now you can do amazing things like pay cheques into cash points!! (my new favourite thing to do it puts a little print out on n everything!!!) this was a pretty useless reply sorry )
    x
    woah how? go through the step by step
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Erm what? I've done transfers to various accounts and never paid :/

Try inbranch. Could you not write a cheque?
    Nope, this was in branch. Maybe it was just Natwest.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillipsherman)
    woah how? go through the step by step
    welll... tis only the ones in branch so doesnt really make a huge amount of difference... but its fun get a print out of cheque on receipt x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Nope, this was in branch. Maybe it was just Natwest.
    I'm with Natwest. How odd :/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 10, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.