The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Non-EU resident studying for the B64 NatSci BSc (Hons) at the OU?

This is my first post on this excellent forum (I've been lurking for a couple of weeks!), so warm regards to you all! :colondollar:

I'm seriously looking into studying with the OU, but first - some background...

1st piece of info, and as you'll learn in a minute it's a subsequent issue, ist that I'm a resident of Croatia, a non-EU country. :s-smilie:

I've always been very keen on science, with lots of bits and pieces of knowledge in physics, math, electrical engineering, electronics, programming and especially in general IT, and have already had 1,5 years of university education at the Faculty of Computing and Electrical Engineering in Croatia. But sadly I flunked out of that brick uni due to a strong upward career curve which took up all of my time (I started my career at the age of 19, I'm 27 now). I was always sad not to get a university degree, though, so I'd like to correct that issue now that I have a good CV and no longer have to prove my worth at work. However, any brick uni is out of the question while I'm employed.

I'm currently seriously looking into studying physics with the OU via distant learning (alongside my work), counting credits towards the B64 BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences degree (with a short detour towards the Professional Management Certificate along the way, through modules BZX628, BZX629 & B690).

However, while looking at the courses available for study from my country I can't seem to find any info about the nature of the newly announced S288 module, Level 2 Practical Science, which is (as I understand it) compulsory for the B64 degree. On this forum I've already found info that it's meant to replace the outdated residential courses, which are only available for UK (or in some cases EU) students - and that's what worries me.

I'd really like to know if anyone has any information on the possibility of either

a) studying this module from outside the EU or
b) getting the B64 named degree without this module?

There's nothing wrong with the Open degree, but I feel the B64 would be much more suited for subsequent studies of physics, astronomy or medical physics at different universities in the world. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, :smile:
Ivan
There will be another module SXE288. My best guess is that one of these will include some sort of residential school and the other will be for those who are unable to attend.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by OdinsThunder
There will be another module SXE288. My best guess is that one of these will include some sort of residential school and the other will be for those who are unable to attend.

Well, I sure hope so! Thanks for your guess... :smile:

On the other hand, am I correct in the assumption that the module(s) are compulsory? This web page is ambigous, stating "...and 30 credits from one of the following optional modules: S288 or SXE288". :confused:

and != optional ?
Original post by ipekarik
Well, I sure hope so! Thanks for your guess... :smile:

On the other hand, am I correct in the assumption that the module(s) are compulsory? This web page is ambigous, stating "...and 30 credits from one of the following optional modules: S288 or SXE288". :confused:

and != optional ?

Yes, you will have to do ONE of the modules.
Reply 4
Original post by OdinsThunder
Yes, you will have to do ONE of the modules.

Yeah, I figured - I was just grasping at straws, hoping they mistakenly omitted the "/or" after the "and". :-)

The OU student enquiry service is unable to tell me about the availability of S(XE)288 in Croatia, at this point they don't know themselves. So I'll just have to start studying the other courses and wing it until I get to Level 2 studies... by that time S(XE)288 will have already started.
S288 is Practical Science
SXE288 is Practical Environmental Science

The idea is that they both include practical work, some at residential weekends/workshops, but unlike the old 10 pointer weeks, you don't have to do any lab or field work if you can't, so looks like you'll be ok
Reply 6
I'm pursuing this degree. Will probably concentrate on the Physics and Astronomy side.

Quick Reply

Latest