The Student Room Group

Audiology advice anyone ???

Hey Guys,

Only just joined TSR :smile: but lemme get straight to the point lol :

Audiology isn't something I’ve always wanted to do, but it's now definitely interested me and ISN'T any back up for medicine. I wanted to do medicine, preferred this instead when I read more articles on the career and the issues on hearing problems on the NHS website.

I haven't got any experience at an audiologist yet, but only hospital volunteering with the elderly (who have dementia + other disabilities) and helping children at schools to build my communication skills and see what I'm like around... people :P I've learned how important hearing is.
I haven't really been inspired by a deaf member in my family, but I do have a friend who was deaf from birth, but can still study as she has a hearing aid and a microphone thing that the teacher puts around their neck. This really got me interested. I know this might all be vague information, but does Audiology seem right for me? I've already had a bad year at AS with family problems at home + revision skills.

Predicted grades ABB, Manchester Southampton, Leeds, de Montfort and Swansea.
Is maths and physics needed for this course? I didn't do physics but did AS maths.
I now have Biology, Chemistry and French. (Languages is a hobby and possibly helpful for future career plans abroad)
Do I have to get Audiology experience before my interviews?
What do I wear to the interview for Audiology?

So far I have a conditional from Southampton :biggrin:
I also have been offered a place at Leeds, but not an interview, instead invited me to an open day - do I still dress formally? [Specific clothing item? as my fashion sense is null] :confused:
and lastly: Why do YOU guys wanna do Audiology and what's happened so far? I can't find or meet anyone who's doing the same course as me :frown:

Now finally my blabber is over, and thanks in advance to whoever gives me advice and bothers reading this. I'm just in the state where I cannot fail more in life in terms of A levels and getting into uni + a career I want.

Thank You so Much =)
Reply 1
please help :frown:
Reply 2
You have convinced me that you want to do audiology! When I went to open days some of them did say that they wanted to see that you had spent some time in an audiology department but NOT all of them as they said that they knew it was difficult to get permission sometimes.

As for advice on what to wear I cannot help you as like you I have no dress sense at all!
Reply 3
Original post by nk.nk
Hey Guys,

Audiology isn't something I’ve always wanted to do, but it's now definitely interested me and ISN'T any back up for medicine. I wanted to do medicine, preferred this instead when I read more articles on the career and the issues on hearing problems on the NHS website.

I haven't got any experience at an audiologist yet, but only hospital volunteering with the elderly (who have dementia + other disabilities) and helping children at schools to build my communication skills and see what I'm like around... people :P I've learned how important hearing is.
I haven't really been inspired by a deaf member in my family, but I do have a friend who was deaf from birth, but can still study as she has a hearing aid and a microphone thing that the teacher puts around their neck. This really got me interested. I know this might all be vague information, but does Audiology seem right for me? I've already had a bad year at AS with family problems at home + revision skills.

Is maths and physics needed for this course? I didn't do physics but did AS maths.
I now have Biology, Chemistry and French. (Languages is a hobby and possibly helpful for future career plans abroad)

I also have been offered a place at Leeds, but not an interview, instead invited me to an open day - do I still dress formally? [Specific clothing item? as my fashion sense is null] :confused:
and lastly: Why do YOU guys wanna do Audiology and what's happened so far? I can't find or meet anyone who's doing the same course as me :frown:

Now finally my blabber is over, and thanks in advance to whoever gives me advice and bothers reading this. I'm just in the state where I cannot fail more in life in terms of A levels and getting into uni + a career I want.

Thank You so Much =)

Hi,
I'm also applying to do just audiology and am really looking forward to it :biggrin:
When did you apply? My ucas was sent off mid november and i have three interviews but no offers as of yet. I'm really hoping for Leeds, when did you apply and what was your offer?
I think dressing smart casual :smile: like smart trousers and just a nice top?
Original post by vevans
Hi,
I'm also applying to do just audiology and am really looking forward to it :biggrin:
When did you apply? My ucas was sent off mid november and i have three interviews but no offers as of yet. I'm really hoping for Leeds, when did you apply and what was your offer?
I think dressing smart casual :smile: like smart trousers and just a nice top?

Did you have an interview at Manchester? If so how did they go?
Reply 5
no i haven't any of the interviews yet. Manchester's on the 10th feb, Southampton 28th jan and UCL 23rd feb so with exams as well it's a pretty stressful couple of months!
when's your manchester interview?
Original post by vevans
no i haven't any of the interviews yet. Manchester's on the 10th feb, Southampton 28th jan and UCL 23rd feb so with exams as well it's a pretty stressful couple of months!
when's your manchester interview?

Ooh good luck! I'm actually a reapplicant - had my UCL interview and offer last year - missed out on the grades through various reasons though. So reapplying for Audiology again, and ATM only have Manchester (interview on march 24th) - literally have 2 days to add more choices - not sure which ones I want to add - especially seeing as it'll be narrowed down to two anyways.
Reply 7
If it's just an open day, just jeans and a t-shirt would be fine :smile:
Sorry to hijack, but if anyones interested in de montfort, my course does the exact same core modules as audiology so I can give advice on the course etc as i'm a second year :smile: Just quote me or PM me and i'll reply!

Good luck!
Original post by Miss_Rachel
Sorry to hijack, but if anyones interested in de montfort, my course does the exact same core modules as audiology so I can give advice on the course etc as i'm a second year :smile: Just quote me or PM me and i'll reply!

Good luck!

Not applying to De Montfort but hopefuly modules are universal wherever you study

So the obvious question here is do you enjoy it?! Is there a variety of subjects involved like ethics, biology, physics, psychology? What's been your fav thing to learn oh and how have you been assessed?

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by HumanNature1992
Not applying to De Montfort but hopefuly modules are universal wherever you study

So the obvious question here is do you enjoy it?! Is there a variety of subjects involved like ethics, biology, physics, psychology? What's been your fav thing to learn oh and how have you been assessed?

Thanks! :smile:

I love it, its a very broad basis in subjects! We study:
Maths, Stats and IT which is basically A Level maths;
Physics and Instrumentation in the first year, and Signal Processing and Imaging Techniques in the second year. General physicsyness and pretty good!
Biomedical Science which covers a lot of biology and thigns like immunology etc;
Anatomy and Physiology, which is fascinating and goes into good depth about human anatomy!

Then the audiology students do other modules, which I think are all audiology related.

My favourite is the Anatomy and Physiology cos its fascinating! And the teacher is one of the best i've ever had so I think that helps matters!

Been assesed by 2 pieces of coursework per year, and one exam.

Anything else anyone? :P
Reply 11
Just to update everyone :

Sorry guys, in the middle of exam season, so didn't think I get so many replies :biggrin:

Urm, Southampton interview is in march, and I have LOADS of forms to fill in. By the way, I'm doing deferred for this uni, but the strange thing is, on the forms, some parts refer to it being a 2011 entry, should I email them to ask? the interview is informal, but i'm still gonna wear shirt, tie but a jumper on top - and trousers lol.

Leeds - The open day is in march too. And also, I'm a guy, so don't start suggesting clothing items i don't get :tongue: I guess I'll wear suitable jeans and a top but nothing too casual haha.

I've had to change my leeds and manchester from a deferred entry to 2011 as they might not be doing the course next year, and it's all changing too.
The lady from manchester emailed me and told me to take time in making my decision, and i decided to go for this year's entry. But she won't reply, which is scaring me :confused:

I was rejected by swansea and I've heard nothing from De montfort. I STILL need to get experience though, so i'm in the middle of filling in forms for experience in february half term, i hope it isn't too late?!

Urm, yeah, so obviously, I'm not checking TSR as often, but I'll get back to you guys asap. Thanks for those who PM'ed me , really makes me feel better that there are people out there doing audiology. keep the advice coming ! :smile:
Reply 12
hi
i have got a interview at the university of manchester for audilogy.
im studying a national diploma in science.. it does say that they accept diploma and i need DMM to qualify.
thats Distinction.Merit.Merit.

Was jus wondering what would happen if i got lower marks than i needed? would i still have a chance to get in?

also...can anyone give me any tips for the interview! thanksss

:smile::smile::colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by nk.nk
Hey Guys,

Thank You so Much =)

yhh i felt like noone knew about the course cos it such a niche and i have a friend at southampton who does it and she has told me a lot about it and im planning to apply on ucas extra to southampton. im hoping i get in when i do apply but im planning to some work experience with an audioogist cos i think ill hav to write another personla statement.

does anyone have any advice on the course in gneral and in southampton?
Reply 14
Original post by nk.nk
Hey Guys,

Thank You so Much =)

:confused::confused::confused:

hi

i have a interview for university of manchester next thursday (24/3/2011).
i am really crapping itt!
i dont know what to expect!

im doing a btec national diploma in science...should be getting the grades needed....

can anyone give m advice on what i am likely to expect?
how long is the interview...
and hw many people? thanksss:colondollar::colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest