The Student Room Group

Japanese Studies - Sheffield v.s SOAS??

Sheffield V.S SOAS

Which is the better university for Japanese Studies?

Help!! Can anyone please fill me in with the main differences if possible too?

Footnote: I'm not the best at book reading!! Do they both require the same amount of book reading for the additional modules e.g. politics, economy, history etc?
(edited 13 years ago)
SOAS for academics, Sheffield for the typical 'uni' experience. It depends on what you want out of it.
Reply 2
As said above, Sheffield would definitely provide a more typical 'uni' experience. I went to SOAS for a year and then dropped out - I hated the place. I think you should visit both universities and then decide, because SOAS is tiny has a very specific 'feel' whereas Sheffield is more of a general uni where everyone can find something they like...

Can't offer any insight into the Japanese courses though, sorry.
Reply 3
I can't offer any insight on the Japanese at Sheffield yet, but I did do BA Japanese at SOAS for 2 terms last year.

BA Japanese and BA Japanese Studies are two different degrees at SOAS. As I'm not sure which one you've applied for, I'll give a quick overview of each :smile:

BA Japanese is mainly language focused and in the first year you have 10 hours of language class, 3 hours of Aspects of Japanese language and then a module of your choice. The language is very intense and you have to do at least 2 hours homework every day. It took me 2 hours as I had already studied the grammar but I know others who took 2 or 3 times as long to complete it as I did. The teachers are very friendly and willing to help you whenever you have a problem. This can't be said for the Aspects lecturer who I found incredibly incompetent - others seemed to like him though. BA Japanese includes classical Japanese in second year and the year abroad in third year.

BA Japanese Studies is a 3 year course without the year abroad as it is culture based. You do take language modules but they are nowhere near the intensity of the BA Japanese classes. I had a friend taking the Japanese studies language classes and they took about 3 - 4 weeks just to cover hiragana. This course would have a lot more reading/essays involved as it is very focused on history/culture.

As for SOAS itself, let's just say it's an acquired taste. I personally hated it there as I found it too niche - much like mimimimi above me :smile: There aren't a great deal of societies outside of religion, politics, campaign groups or subject areas. You do have the University of London Union to use for societies but in my opinion there is a much wider range available at Sheffield.
I don't know where you are currently living at the moment but I found London to be very expensive and it's not particularly easy to have the 'typical student' life on just the student loans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending