The Student Room Group

What is the comparison in terms of difficulty between French gcse and French alevel?

Hey :smile: I'm considering taking French for alevel and I was wondering how big the jump is between the two stages? Obviously I know alevel will be harder but by how much and in what ways?
Reply 1
Original post by Lucyycul
Hey :smile: I'm considering taking French for alevel and I was wondering how big the jump is between the two stages? Obviously I know alevel will be harder but by how much and in what ways?

Do a search for this in the foreign languages forum,this topic has already been asked.I can t answer it as i never did GCSE french,sorry

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=98
Reply 2
Hey!
The jump from GCSE french to a level is pretty big, i mean readings and listenings still follow the same principle, only the language gets more complex but they are pretty much like GCSE, so they're not too bad.
In terms of writing, most exam boards at a level do not have coursework so you have to a writing exam on a topic which you will get a choice of, this is obviously quite challenging as this requires knowing your grammar inside out... i personally find the writing quite tricky but once you practise and know the rules and grammar and all, it's not too too bad!
And, as for speaking, same sort of thing however you have to much more confident in speaking and have the ability to improvise a lot, and also debate on topics and have ideas! So speaking goes up a level too!

But despite all that, if you enjoy French and want to do it, go for it! It's quite fun! :smile:

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest