The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Mechanical Engineering - Imperial vs Southampton

This has to be close.

I'd say Imperial gets it on employability but everything else is nip and tuck between the two.

Oh yeh, I don't mean Southampton Solent if anybody's wondering.
As far as I know Soton excels in Aero due to it's aeronautical history (and they have some awesome wind tunnels). On Mechanical though Imperial would probably take it, not that you can really go wrong with either though.

What jobs are you looking for afterwards?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I want to work in Formula 1. Adrian Newey went Southampton, although I feel I have a better shot if I go Imperial. Well if Soutampton excels at aero then it's a good thing I applied for Mech eng with aerospace xD
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Well I've been to both departments, and chose Imperial as my firm and Southampton as my insurance. Everything about Imperial seemed bigger and better, but I can't really go into more detail than that. The entrance requirements for Southampton were lower (although they're AAA now, it's still lower), and barely anyone on the interview day had done further maths, because "regular maths was hard enough", so without wishing to be elitist, I think it's fair to say the Imperial course will be a bit more demanding.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I would choose Imperial. Since it's based in London and has very strong links with employers, getting a job is less of a hassle (I believe Imperial graduates have the highest starting salaries in the UK). They also have higher entry standards and have a notorious reputation for having rigorous and challenging courses.

A big question is also whether or not you want to be in London for the next for years. Both are great unis though, so congrats on getting those offers! =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending