The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It depends entirely on how you feel.
Go for another look around and decide what's best.
Original post by I<3Vans
Seriously. Calm the fudge down.

If OP feels they'll be better off at Manchester then so be it, just because you get an offer from Oxbridge it does not mean your obliged to accept it.

Jheez TSR's getting worse by the day.

I second this. Manchester is also a Russell Group uni too?

Also the possibility of doing a post grad at Oxbridge is to be considered aswell?
Reply 22
Not everything is about Oxbridge. And yes, not everybody there is a snob who got in through Daddy's connections but nonetheless, if you like Manchester more, go for it. At the end of the day, it's how well you perform in your exams that counts.
Reply 23
Original post by Retrospect
The day that 'im so academic' gets rejected from Cambridge or Oxford will be lulz.

When's that? I wanna be here to take a screenie.
I know someone who started at Oxford, but decided not to continue and went to Manchester instead. So I'm not saying that this should be formative or anything at all; it's just to let you know that not everyone does, in fact, enjoy Oxbridge and that it's at least possible for someone to prefer being elsewhere. :smile:
If you genuinely prefer Manchester, then go for it! People do tend down Oxbridge offers each year and there's nothing wrong with that (unless you're dead stupid/annoying about it like my not-quite-tutorial partner) :nah:
You would be stupid to turn down a university you want to go to in order to go somewhere you're not sure you'll like just because it is more prestigious.
Reply 27
Original post by im so academic
You can't get an accurate view of Manchester or Cambridge from within a space of a few hours on interview day.

Especially when he says "I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester". He's pretty much implying that he won't have fun at Cambridge - but where does he base that from? The "geeky stereotype" of Cambridge?

Yes, the only way to get a truly accurate view is to actually study at the uni for several months. However, since he doesn't have that option, looking at the course structure, location, departments and general impressions so far is the best that he can do, and since he prefers Manchester over Cambridge, it would seem like the better choice. He has obviously visited both locations, so he probably has a fair idea of what the social life is like.

When you reach the stage of applying in 3 years time, you'll realise that Oxbridge isn't always the best
(edited 13 years ago)
Sounds like you've already made your mind up. :wink:
Reply 29
Make the decision you want to, if you know Cambridge isn't right for you. I'm not just adding an opinion for the sake of it either, I am currently a secong year at Clare college Cambridge doing natsci. I applied for physics because I liked it and enjoyed it at the time I applied and was very good at it. I seriously considered turning down my offer and heading to Durham or Bath so there would be less pressure. I took the place in the end but have really not being enjoying my time, I don't want to drop out but I feel I would have had a much better time at a different uni. However, its NOT the social life that made me feel this, there is loads of stuff to do and I feel Ive made great friends there.
BUT: I know loads of people who are loving the coursess and getting firsts and still have great social lives too.
Original post by mummyperson
I think this is a troll. I know someone who thinks this way but they have Asperger's and for that reason would be happier at Cambridge which has a better physics course anyway. How can someone not want to learn physics in a beautiful college in a nobel prize winning physics department is beyond my imagining .
Perhaps success is too much for you ? A lot of people are in shock when they get their Oxbridge offer because the notion of success is so alien. I wouldnt make any quick or rash decisions and go and see both places again.:rolleyes:

:lolwut:

oxbridge =/= success
Original post by Blackspur
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

Bit in bold is possibly the only valid point - Manchester is a bigger city with a lot more to do, so if you'd rather live there for n years rather than a town then go for it
Reply 32
I feel Manchester is more for you than Cambridge.
Original post by dnumberwang
Bit in bold is possibly the only valid point - Manchester is a bigger city with a lot more to do, so if you'd rather live there for n years rather than a town then go for it

To be completely fair here, Cambridge is also a city.
Reply 34
op all i can say is do not make a decision now. currently it might seem like manc is 'funner' and you'll have a better time, but it is perfectly possible to have an awesome social life here as well. it would be incredibly annoying to turn down the offer now and regret it in a years time. i would advise visiting again.
i felt the same as you about accepting, and i can tell you now that i would rather be nowhere else. the opportunities and facilities here are next to none.

basically, have a rethink and only turn it down if there is no doubt in your mind that you'd rather be at manchester.
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

You're 14. Who are you to give an opinion on the matter?
Reply 36
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

You are, perhaps, my favourite person on TSR. Just sayin'.
Original post by Calumcalum
I know someone who started at Oxford, but decided not to continue and went to Manchester instead. So I'm not saying that this should be formative or anything at all; it's just to let you know that not everyone does, in fact, enjoy Oxbridge and that it's at least possible for someone to prefer being elsewhere. :smile:

Likewise, although she was an engineering student who moved to Manchester to do Physics as opposed to Physics at Oxford. I also know someone who had Physics offers from both Manchester and Oxford and chose Manchester purely because he preferred it.

Take your time and choose carefully. I'd recommend visiting both universities and their departments just to be sure. Not everyone who has an Oxbridge offer is obliged to take it.
Original post by Blackspur
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

Not in the slightest. The way you talk you would regret going to Cambridge. Do what you want. Plus Manc is pretty good :biggrin: (before people neg me-I'm not saying that Cambridge isn't-I grew up round there).
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

Jeez, you act like Oxbridge is some almighty God. Stop being so pathetic yourself. How old are you? 15? I hope you man up some time soon and stop being so rude to people on here, and I also hope that you get rejected from Oxbridge and that not even Crew Ex-Poly will touch a twit like you with a barge pole. :biggrin: