The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muffinz
When's that? I wanna be here to take a screenie.

It's unfortunate that she will probably throw herself off of the nearest building before getting round to posting on TSR. :frown:
Original post by Retrospect
The day that 'im so academic' gets rejected from Cambridge or Oxford will be lulz.

This is the one of the best posts I have ever had the pleasure of reading on TSR. LOL :biggrin:
Reply 42
The thing is, if you end up hating Manchester (and you might, you never know), then you'll always be thinking "and I could have had Cambridge".

If you hate Cambridge, you could drop out and would probably be able to get into Manchester again.

I was apprehensive before starting at Oxford that the social life would be awful and there would be too much work- but in fact the social life is amazing and I've got used to a work-hard play-hard culture.

So, my advice: give Cambridge a chance.
Original post by TheSownRose
To be completely fair here, Cambridge is also a city.

Fair enough, I was just trying to emphasise the difference, and it's a pretty big difference
Reply 44
Original post by mummyperson
How can someone not want to learn physics in a beautiful college in a nobel prize winning physics department is beyond my imagining .

A study group at Manchester won the 2010 Nobel Physics prize and Manchester has more Nobel prize winners working on the staff than any other department in the country...

Perhaps success is too much for you ? A lot of people are in shock when they get their Oxbridge offer because the notion of success is so alien.

As it happens I've been fairly successful so far in life! Thanks for your concern though

I wouldnt make any quick or rash decisions and go and see both places again.:rolleyes:

I don't intend to make any rash decisions - this is something I have been thinking about since November and I don't intend to make a final decision for a few weeks yet.

Thanks to everyone who has offered helpful advice!
Original post by im so academic
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

Listen to this person. As they haven't finished their A levels yet, they are the perfect person to advise on this.

It's not all about Oxbridge. If you think you'll be happier elsewhere (and yes, it is acceptable to go elsewhere for any reason, including social life) go elsewhere. Yes, Cambridge students do go out and have fun, but they also have considerabley more work, which is not to everyone's taste.
Reply 46
I wouldnt turn it down.
Reply 47
I think this is a troll. How can someone not want to learn physics in a beautiful college in a nobel prize winning physics department is beyond my imagining .
Perhaps success is too much for you ? A lot of people are in shock when they get their Oxbridge offer because the notion of success is so alien. I wouldnt make any quick or rash decisions and go and see both places again.:rolleyes:

The fact that other people would love to have an offer to study at Cambridge doesn't mean the OP wants to go there--any more than it means the people who wanted (and didn't get) offers deserve them. That's not how it works. There are people who could get incredibly stressful jobs in law or finance who decide to focus on other things--like having families or hobbies or (gasp) a life. Academics/work are not all there is to life. (And I say this as someone who puts a lot of stress on both of those--but that's not everyone's cup of tea, and it doesn't have to be.)

I should also note, many people believe Manchester is a beautiful university. There is no question it has a Nobel prize-winning physics department. In any case, undergrad physics is unlikely to get very close to the work that's currently winning nobel prizes, at least in the early years.
Reply 48
You sound like you like manchester better.
I'd say firm Manchester. If that's where you like, go for it. And it's still a good university. There's nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy yourself. At the end of the day, if you don't like the uni, you'll perform worse anyway and will just want to leave.

Go to the UCAS days if you're still unsure, so you can make a final decision. At the UCAS days you can find out more and decide what you really want if you still don't know. You have a while to make your decision, so don't stress too much.

Good luck, whatever you decide, and choose based on what YOU want, not for prestige or whatever. Both are very good unis.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by modgepodge
Listen to this person. As they haven't finished their GCSEs yet, they are the perfect person to advise on this.

It's not all about Oxbridge. If you think you'll be happier elsewhere (and yes, it is acceptable to go elsewhere for any reason, including social life) go elsewhere. Yes, Cambridge students do go out and have fun, but they also have considerabley more work, which is not to everyone's taste.

Correction
Reply 50
Original post by Retrospect
The day that 'im so academic' gets rejected from Cambridge or Oxford will be lulz.

Latest research suggests 'im so academic' is approximately 8.3 years old, so it could be a while, but oh my ****ing god, it's gonna be worth the wait.
Reply 51
Just choose for whichever you'd prefer - only you can decide this! Manchester is a very respectable university and I'm sure you'd have a great time and do well there.

That said, don't turn down Cambridge lightly. It's a truly fantastic place to study and you're very fortunate to have the opportunity to make the most of it. Please take your time until the situation sinks in before making any decisions. Research both well and think about which style of course and lifestyle you'd prefer (but take care not to loose focus of the academic side of things, A*AAA is not easy). In the end just go with what you want, not necessarily what people will expect.

Good luck :smile:

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

Firstly, there is a big difference between a NatSci degree and a physics degree (not that you'd know since you're about 10. Oxbridge don't tend to offer much choice of modules or industrial placements so that you can 'customise' you degree - I know this because I am also a physics applicant who considered both universities (just to shock you I'm not trying to decide between Southampton and Sussex on my A*AA predictions).

You don't know he could definitely transfer to Manchester so that is just stupid.

Oh and yeah, it IS quite important that you like the place you're going to be living for 3 or 4 years and a big city like Manchester is very different to a large town/small city environment like Cambridge.
(edited 13 years ago)

I wish you'd... well, not die, but be seriously injured at least.
:h:

Be judgemental when you actually have some qualifications. Right now you have **** all right to be condescending.

OP, do whatever suits you. You'd probably learn physics to a higher level at Cambridge, and get better job prospects. The former is a point I'd disregard, since you've said you wouldn't like pressure; the latter, however, is one I'd think on.

However, a Manchester degree is hardly going to be restrictive career wise. So if you like the course and stuff better at Manchester, and you don't particularly wish to work at CERN or NASA, go for it.
Original post by Blackspur
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

Sure, Cambridge has the "name" and will undoubtably offer a completely unique university experience, but there are PLENTY of hugely successful people out there who applied to Oxbridge unsure of what to expect, got in, realised that it perhaps wasn't for them, and went on to great things.
At the end of the day, if you want to go to Manchester, go there :smile:
You still have time to make your decision, but don't worry too much about what people think if you reject Cambridge. It's a huge thing in itself to be accepted. My brother was in the same situation two years ago with oxford (He got a place to read Computer Science, but then fell in love with Imperial on an open day and decided to go there - He's now absolutely loving it, and is on his way to getting a First) .
At the end of the day, it's your decision, and do what you think will make you happiest.
All the best!
I'm I the only one who is actually going to say this?:
Of course you'd be ridiculously stupid to reject a place at Cambridge! (no offence intended)

- Rationally it would give you much better job opportunities and unfortunately 'I got a place at Cambridge but turned it down for Manchester' doesn't really put you at the top of this list of 'good common sense' during a job interview!

Sorry, but it had to be said.
Reply 56

This post has been impressively negrepped.

Just to rub a little salt into your ever-so-academic wounds: it doesn't beg the question. Something which begs the question is reasoned in a circular way, such that the premise is the same as the conclusion ultimately derived. You mean to say that it raises the question, and it does not for the following reason. Almost everyone doing an undergrad degree at Cambridge has A*AA or better, and a good chunk of them struggle. There's a discussion going on in the Cambridge chat thread at the moment about the fact that making an offer is far easier than actually studying at Cambridge--the pressure, intensity, and demands are drastically different.
I Know this isn't an answer to the OP but I have always wanted to go and see the Cavendish lab at Cambridge. It isn't open to the public though.
Anyway if I was being selfish OP I would ask you to quickly turn down your Cambridge place so as to give a chance to my nephew who is in the pool for your subject as we speak :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I wish you'd... well, not die, but be seriously injured at least.
:h:

Be judgemental when you actually have some qualifications. Right now you have **** all right to be condescending.

OP, do whatever suits you. You'd probably learn physics to a higher level at Cambridge, and get better job prospects. The former is a point I'd disregard, since you've said you wouldn't like pressure; the latter, however, is one I'd think on.

However, a Manchester degree is hardly going to be restrictive career wise. So if you like the course and stuff better at Manchester, and you don't particularly wish to work at CERN or NASA, go for it.

Prof. Brian Cox did his degree at Manchester and now works at CERN. Loads of physics departments have links with the LHC...
Reply 59
No. You're not stupid at all.

Both have excellent, world leading departments, and if you think Manchester is better suited for you, you should go there. I live in Manchester and I love it. Turning down Cambridge may be closing doors for you, but Manchester is opening others. You don't go to uni just for the degree, you go for the experience too.

Latest

Trending

Trending