The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Othy
Go to where your heart tells you to.

Wish I'd listened to that 'inner voice' a bit more often

/old bloke advice

-----

Have we ever had a thread for people who seriously considered not going to Oxbridge with an offer in hand (like our OP), went anyway and then had an amazing time socially & academically and were ultimately really pleased they went there?

Jus' askin.
Original post by gewelz93
Obviously it is your decision, and if you are going to spend the next 3/4 years of your life somewhere, you need to go somewhere you are going to enjoy and have a good time in, no point going soemwhere you will be miserable..but as somone who is anxiously waiting for their reply from cambridge (coincidentally aslo from clare) this kind of breaks my heart, Id LOVE to go there, not just cause of the reputation and amazing opportunity it would give me to learn from incredible people, but also because I love clare, I love cambridge as a city and think I could have hte most amazing time there. Obviously its hard work, but if you are doing what you love then its worth it isnt it? And would you really have gone through all the trouble of applying and prepping for the interview, stress of interview etc just to turn the offer down?
Just some thoughts :smile: I hope wtevs decision you make is the right one for you, dont worry about ppl being shocked..but just remember it IS " jst cambridge" for a reason, and there are many people out there who would give anything to be in your place..(myself included)
xx

I sympathise that waiting to hear from them is agonising and hope you hear soon ... but it's pretty low to try and guilt OP into accepting Cambridge because you and other people would give anything to have an offer. That's going to be true of any university, some people will have applied for it as their firm and some will have applied because they just liked it, or were unsure, or just because they were paying for five choices so they may as well have five.

And yet, you very rarely see people making this same 'give anything to have your place' comment if someone rejects 'lower' but still good unis like Sheffield and Birmingham. Cambridge doesn't make it special; it's a uni that anyone can apply to, even if they're not 100% sold on it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

A lot of the essay-based subjects at Oxbridge have a workload of at least 25 essays every 8 weeks. And university level essays are bloody hard to crack off quickly, unlike GCSE essays which can be done to A* standard in about 2 hours. I hate to think what the workload for Cambridge physics might be, considering science subject are inherently more demanding than arts/humanities subjects.
Reply 123
Original post by Blackspur
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

The answer to this question, believe it or not, is relatively simple:

Make Cambridge your firm and Manchester your insurance.

Why? Because you may decide to change your mind later in the year, and if you do, you won't have to worry about anything because, assuming you get the grades, you'll get into Cambridge automatically.. If you don't change your mind and still want to go to Manchester, then you can easily phone Cambridge and ask them to release you so that you can go to Manchester.

Best of luck.
Reply 124
Original post by Joinedup
Wish I'd listened to that 'inner voice' a bit more often

/old bloke advice

-----

Have we ever had a thread for people who seriously considered not going to Oxbridge with an offer in hand (like our OP), went anyway and then had an amazing time socially & academically and were ultimately really pleased they went there?

Jus' askin.

Peoeple don't normally make threads like that for anything.
Your not here to fulfil other people's expectations. Do what you want to do, be your own man.

Check me, balance me, I'm out of here. Because that is the right thing to do.
Yesterday I received an offer from Clare College, Cambridge to study Natural Sciences. I wasn't really expecting to get an offer (though obviously I'm happy that I have done) and I was already really looking forward to doing Physics at Manchester.

I loved Manchester when I went there for my interview and knew that it would be one of my final two choices, but now I have to choose between there (A*AA offer) and Cambridge (A*AAA).

I know to some people it would seem like a clear cut choice and a lot of people wouldn't even think about rejecting an offer from Cambridge. However the only reason I can think of going to there is just because "it's Cambridge". I prefer the course at Manchester, the city, the department...
The high pressure working environment doesn't really appeal to me and I just think I'd have a lot more fun at Manchester. Would it be a stupid move to turn down Cambridge's offer and put Manchester as my firm? Would I be wasting what is potentially the chance to get an education that will hold me in much better stead later in life?

tl;dr would it be stupid to blow off Cambridge and go and have a good time at Manchester instead?

You should go to whichever uni you think'll be best for you, and if that's Manchester, it's Manchester. But just don't write off Cambridge until you've been and had a really good look around both uni's and the surrounding area. You've gotta be there until the end of your degree, so you need to make sure you've made the decision that's right for you.
Original post by Firaila
My point was maybe her age means she is naive, that's it.

Well she is quite overtly naive, the cause of it seems irrelevant.

And if that was your only point the sentence - "It strikes me as kinda sad to see a forum full of teenagers gleefully taking down a younger girl" - seems awfully ill placed.
First of all, you're decision is far from being stupid. Go for the university you love, not the one you like. A couple of friends rejected Oxbridge to end up at Manchester for pretty much the same reasons, they wanted the social life, and I have to say it's amazing. I can say I have lived like a student in Oxbridge (spent entire weeks, there, went to balls, social events, even revised for my exams at Manchester), and I did also love it, but they're two different social life. If you're a party animal, that you love crowded clubs with greats music, Oxbridge doesn't even begin to compare. The music scene is also far more impressive in Manchester than in Oxbridge, and if you support United, you can even work at Old Trafford (a friend saw Beckham there :p:).

You seem to know full well how good the Physics department is at both universities. A hell of a lot of money is invested in it at Manchester, and it's always improving. The university is now in the top 5 for research, and it attracts great lecturers to teach you modules you apparently prefer to Cambridge papers. You also seem to think that the workload at Cambridge won't suit you, and I'm not sure you really want to experience it to then discover that it was a mistake.

Some people seem to think it's easy to transfer to Manchester, and it might well be for Art subjects or changing your course in 1st year, but transfering universities to go directly into second year is not that easy, it may not even work with a subject like Physics, and there's no guarantee Manchester will accept him. It's also a difficult time to live and study in a place you really dislike and hope you'll be able to change. What if it's impossible? You will have wasted a year of your life and will be even more at loss. And saying that Manchester will bring you fewer career opportunities is a ridiculous statement. It's the 1st university targeted by employers, and it's in the top-whatever for the best salaries upon graduation.

You sound like you have already made your choice, though, and are simply looking to be reassured. Talk to your friends and family to see what they think, maybe go back to both universities if you still aren't sure, but if you are, and really want Manchester, don't let anyone tell you to do otherwise. It's your life, and going to Manchester over Cambridge is definitely not gonna stop you to do anything.
Original post by HarryA

Why? Because you may decide to change your mind later in the year, and if you do, you won't have to worry about anything because, assuming you get the grades, you'll get into Cambridge automatically.. If you don't change your mind and still want to go to Manchester, then you can easily phone Cambridge and ask them to release you so that you can go to Manchester.

Best of luck.

Two problems:

1) Beyond a certain date, he can't.

2) It would leave him with no insurance.
No. You should go where you feel you'll be happy :smile:. Sometimes you just get a gut feeling, and it'll often be right. You shouldn't be pressured into going there just because of the prestige!
Reply 131
Again, thanks for all the replies!

We were told as soon as I started my UCAS application that we should first and foremost chose the courses we wanted to do, not the universities. At the end of the day doing NatSci was always going to be a compromise for me and I applied to Cambridge thinking that the compromise would be worth it, though now I'm obviously not so sure.

One thought I have had is that I think I would be far more likely to get a First from Manchester than from Cambridge (although this could be a complete falsehood!). Would a Cambridge 2:1 be considered better than First from Manchester by, say, an employer?
Reply 132
Original post by wilson_smith
Well she is quite overtly naive, the cause of it seems irrelevant.

And if that was your only point the sentence - "It strikes me as kinda sad to see a forum full of teenagers gleefully taking down a younger girl" - seems awfully ill placed.

Soz boss!
I fully understand you, as I have the same doubt - Cambridge or LSE, but I think I will choose Cambridge.

Fortunately you have still a lot of time, so think about it carefully, visit both cities if possible. I hope you will make a good choice :smile:

We were told as soon as I started my UCAS application that we should first and foremost chose the courses we wanted to do, not the universities. At the end of the day doing NatSci was always going to be a compromise for me and I applied to Cambridge thinking that the compromise would be worth it, though now I'm obviously not so sure.

One thought I have had is that I think I would be far more likely to get a First from Manchester than from Cambridge (although this could be a complete falsehood!). Would a Cambridge 2:1 be considered better than First from Manchester by, say, an employer?

You know what, in light of what other people have said, I was wrong.

Go to where you want. If you love Manchester, go for it! Reject Cambridge if you so desire.

If you want a "vibrant social life" or you prefer Manchester (as a city) over Cambridge then go to Manchester. Go to where you want.

I was wrong, go to Manchester. Though it begs the question - what's stopping you from firming Manchester right this minute? Prestige? (Not worth it). Better employment prospects? (Even Oxbridge graduates are on the dole).

Just firm Manchester and be done with it.

Absolutely, absolutely not.

(Also most employers, and I mean 95%+, want a 2:1 (Manchester or Cambridge or wherever) + extra-curriculars/positions of responsibility. They would much rather you got a 2:1 and did things than got a 1st by spending your whole life in the library. A lot of companies' graduate websites even explicitly say that!)
Reply 136
Original post by mjtriggs
No. You're not stupid at all.

Both have excellent, world leading departments, and if you think Manchester is better suited for you, you should go there. I live in Manchester and I love it. Turning down Cambridge may be closing doors for you, but Manchester is opening others. You don't go to uni just for the degree, you go for the experience too.

That really is wonderful advice :smile:
Original post by HarryA

Best of luck.

When you are released, you're actually in Clearing, not released straight to your insurance, so you'd have to call them as ask them to take you. Of course it sounds like a simple thing to do and Manchester sounds like a crappy enough university to do that, but what if more people than they expected firmed it and got the grades? A friend of mine put SOAS are her firm, got the grades and got rejected, because they didn't have enough space and she didn't make the cut. Who's to say Manchester is really that desperate for students and will definitely take him, especially after they calculated their quotas and maybe finding out the squad will already be to big? Manchester is very popular, it's the university where the most students apply, and every year they get a bigger number of students - who in the case of Physics probably all got the grades they needed to get their firm choice.
Original post by im so academic
:s-smilie:

Aren't you 14?!
Your perceptions of Oxbridge is not due to attending the Unis but what you think it will be like.

You're extremely bias it's unbelievable.

OP think it through and remember you still have quite a few months until the deadline.

You seem really interested in Manchester so I'd say go there. There's no point in being miserable at a Uni for 3/4 years.

Manchester is a very respectable University for physics.
Reply 139
I think you seriously need to consider the positives and negatives face to face to loads of people.

Latest

Trending

Trending