The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nice work with the squats again. Fortunately I haven't had deadlift grip issues yet. :smile:
Buy chalk: it helps. Myprotein has liquid chalk which isn't quite as good as the real deal but works just fine for your purposes. It makes a big difference. The Mixed grip makes a big difference as well. Secondly I know you want results yesterday but give it time. Attempting to max after a new 5RM really isn't conducive to long term progress. Make as many workouts reasonably grind/failure free as possible while hitting your target weights.
Reply 82
Original post by Shawshank
Nice work with the squats again. Fortunately I haven't had deadlift grip issues yet. :smile:

Ty, only added 2.5 today and even with just the 2.5kg it was still a real killer...

Original post by Blutarsky
You'll be surprised at hoe much chalk helps.

Tempting...

Original post by The Blind Monk
Buy chalk: it helps. Myprotein has liquid chalk which isn't quite as good as the real deal but works just fine for your purposes. It makes a big difference. The Mixed grip makes a big difference as well. Secondly I know you want results yesterday but give it time. Attempting to max after a new 5RM really isn't conducive to long term progress. Make as many workouts reasonably grind/failure free as possible while hitting your target weights.

Cool, thanks for the advice, i always appreciate it. And i only tried the 90 because the guy i was sharing the deadlift bar had just done it and tbh my 85 went up really easily and i wanted to make up for my crappy attempt that was Benching today..

Am going to be on 2.5 rises from now on as i think i'm pretty much at my max in every lift , when you're lifting 100/200 + another 5kg is nothing extra but at the smaller weights i'm lifting it's a hefty chunk..

Still, my Targets of 100/70/130 are looking fairly reasonable... And they're getting close...:smile:

Once i get these it will be cutting time... :smile: Will maintain a large amount of weightlifiting though so i keep at least those lifts... and can rep them a load...

Next 3 hour offroad motorbike race is all booked up now for feb 20th which is a sunday so that will kill my workout progress a bit but i'll use the "mini break" to maybe go for some 1RM just for fun on the thursday before or something...

Hoping my slightly better strength will do me good. Also, going to be doing a 5k run either tomorrow or sunday. My previous PB(and only 5k ) is 26 mins but as i haven't been running in AGES i reckon i'll be lucky to get below 30 mins but i don't really mind.. My quads will still be sore from todays squats so i have an excuse...
You'll hit 90 no problem if you mixed grip it. I'm reasonably sure. I can't double overhand 130 for more than 2 reps but I've DLed 165 recently (mixed grip.)

The thing you have to appreciate is that maxing just shows strength: it doesn't really develop it. Constantly maxing 1RMs leads to stagnation and eventually your max going down, as a quick read through lots of the regular's blogs will probably show you.

Also, deload more than you think when you stall, especially when you are failing for non technical reasons. If you're failing because your setup is not very good, that's completely different from either having a **** day or just being too weak. You've got to learn the difference between the two. If it's a setup problem, fix that. If you're having a **** day: try again. If you're stalling repeatedly, take 10-20% off your weights and just get some momentum going to break your plateau. Or eat and sleep more. That works too :tongue:
Reply 84
Original post by The Blind Monk
You'll hit 90 no problem if you mixed grip it. I'm reasonably sure. I can't double overhand 130 for more than 2 reps but I've DLed 165 recently (mixed grip.)

The thing you have to appreciate is that maxing just shows strength: it doesn't really develop it. Constantly maxing 1RMs leads to stagnation and eventually your max going down, as a quick read through lots of the regular's blogs will probably show you.

Also, deload more than you think when you stall, especially when you are failing for non technical reasons. If you're failing because your setup is not very good, that's completely different from either having a **** day or just being too weak. You've got to learn the difference between the two. If it's a setup problem, fix that. If you're having a **** day: try again. If you're stalling repeatedly, take 10-20% off your weights and just get some momentum going to break your plateau. Or eat and sleep more. That works too :tongue:

Nice, will give mixed grip a test next workout. Will be on workout B soRows instead of deads but a few light ones just to try out mixed grip won't hurt...

Yea, i'm not planning on maxing often but i haven't done yet and by then i'd have been going for a month and a half so it will be interesting... And i do stalk every fitness blog on here atm...:ninja:

Yea, on press i tried just redoing the weight and it didn't work so am going to try a small deload on monday and try that... Also going to drop my Bench back to 55 next time i think as i really struggled...

Trying to get a good 8 hours every night on the sleep front
Reply 85
UPDATE

Cardio, 5k run(5.25 ish actually but whatever)

Bloody hell, forgot how difficult running was and how cold outside is even though it looks nice when i'm sat inside it's bloody freezing out there...

Average HR of 180 with a max of 196... Met a middle aged couple out running at the same time so ran with them for about 1k before they turned back back to town and i turned towards campus... This was actually my quickest part, mainly because i didn't want the embaressment of getting my ass kicked by old people... Peer pressure= good for exercising...

For the geeky people that love graphs etc
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/MHorman/6plcg9475kfvsmba

Probably rest day tomorrow and then hitting the gym for a workout B on monday... :smile:
Has my GPS tracked for the run with heart rate and speed
Reply 86
Looks like a decent track, level ground or a few hills?
Reply 87
Original post by RNBen
Looks like a decent track, level ground or a few hills?

The bit in uni campus is pretty much flat and then the rest is slighty uphill till the bit where i turn around but not much... Where i turn around the path goes to the left and gets a lot steeper. From now on every run i do i'll get slightly further up the steep bit of hill until the run is like 7/8k instead of 5k... Or i may just practise on getting my 5k time down a bit... Dunno...

85 Squat, 37.5 OHP, 57.5 Rows will be done tomorrow, then a bit of practising a mixed grip and/or hooked grip for deadlift on low weights, then the assistance of pull ups/curls...
Reply 88
UPDATE

Nice early morning session today..

Squats
20*6,
40*5,
60*3,
85*5*3(PB)

:biggrin: Another PB on squats, i do like squats...

Strict Press
20*6
37.5*5,5,6

Dropped the weight this week to ensure that i got all the reps as i was stalling.
did an extra rep just because i could, will try and hit 40 on friday...

Bent Over Rows
20*6
40*4
57.5*3
55*3,3

These sucked... Will drop it down to 55 again on friday and get a full 3 sets of 5 with decent form then try 57.5 again next week...

Pull Ups
BW*4
BW*4

Need to get better at these tbh, i find chin ups easy but pull ups impossible...

Didn't get my curls in as the rugby team was in there so every set of dumbells from 8 to about 20 was being used for curls...

Weighed in again and was still 69kg... Think i didn't eat enough over the weekend tbh...

Overall happy as i got my squats and OHP but the bent over rows sucked, even the ones i did get had terrible form...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 89
Hi and well done for your progress. I just signed up for the purpose of following this one thread, cos it's recent and so in line with my plans... so I've had a run-through of these and other lifts, but all I really want to do is follow Rippetoe, the MASTER. (Has anybody found a copy of SS available in England BTW?)

Anyway, plan for tonight is 3x5 Sq, 3x5 BP, 3x5 DL, maybe some chinups... wish me luck!

(Oh and maybe some cycling too... did 11 miles already this morning, but I could do with a few more otherwise it won't count towards my Eddington number.)
Reply 90
Original post by Beaves
Hi and well done for your progress. I just signed up for the purpose of following this one thread, cos it's recent and so in line with my plans... so I've had a run-through of these and other lifts, but all I really want to do is follow Rippetoe, the MASTER. (Has anybody found a copy of SS available in England BTW?)

Anyway, plan for tonight is 3x5 Sq, 3x5 BP, 3x5 DL, maybe some chinups... wish me luck!

(Oh and maybe some cycling too... did 11 miles already this morning, but I could do with a few more otherwise it won't count towards my Eddington number.)

Thanks, there are some others on here with similiar-ish number to me like Shawshank and Blutarsky(He's kicking my ass now though)...

I haven't got a copy of SS tbh, i just read the wiki and watch videos online for technique...

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

And i don't cycle much, my number would only be like 15 for the last year or so...
Reply 91
Original post by Beaves

Deads are supposed to be 1 x 5, 3 x 5 will be fine for the first few weeks but after that you will probably only manage 1 x 5.
Reply 92
UPDATE

Good and bad...

Squat
bar*5,
40*5,
60*3,
87.5*5,2(New 5RM PB but it was a killer, will repeat this weight next session...)
60*5

Bench
20*5,
30*4
40*3
55*4,5,3 (I officially hate benching, i suck at it...Think i psyched myself out as i had no spotter and could have made all of the reps but will definately hit them all next time then move up...)

Deadlifts
40*5
60*5 Testing out mixed Grip, it felt a bit weird but was a lot easier to grip the bar...
90*5 PB

Mixed grip helped i reckon but not sure.

Assistance

Chins
BW*8
BW*4

Curls
10kg Dumbell 5,5,5

Overall got 2 new 5RM today on squat/deadlift... So it's not a bad workout but my bench still sucks. Going to have to up my eating a load i reckon... Just had midmorning meal of tuna sammich whih is another 30g or so of protein and will eat a load more...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 93
You're beating me on deadlifts now!!

Get chalk seriously. I thought everyone was exaggerating about it, but it is like a zillion times easier with it. My 85kg PB the other day was actually easier than lifting 80kg had been the previous session!
Reply 94
87.5kg squat is hard isn't it! I squeezed out 3x5, but they were fuuaarrking hard. I'm reapeating 87.5kg tonight and HOPEFULLY moving onto the heady heights of 90 :smile:

I'm quite scared cos our squats are so close :wink: I can see you overtaking!
Reply 95
Original post by Becca
You're beating me on deadlifts now!!

Get chalk seriously. I thought everyone was exaggerating about it, but it is like a zillion times easier with it. My 85kg PB the other day was actually easier than lifting 80kg had been the previous session!

Yea, after Blutarsky announced to everyone we deadlifted the same i had to push extra hard today for an extra 5kg... :tongue: Although with mixed grip it was quite easy...

Gonna look into getting cheap chalk but i have no idea where to start... Knowing me i'd up up with a box of blackboard chalk if i tried buying some..

Original post by Blutarsky
87.5kg squat is hard isn't it! I squeezed out 3x5, but they were fuuaarrking hard. I'm reapeating 87.5kg tonight and HOPEFULLY moving onto the heady heights of 90 :smile:

I'm quite scared cos our squats are so close :wink: I can see you overtaking!

Nah, you'll be fine. I gotta repeat 87.5 again on friday... Will be monday before i even attempt 90 and i suck at all the other lifts. Think squat is my best one relatively...

Today killed me... I'm on my 4th meal of the day and it's a struggle to eat anymore... Never thought i'd be struggling to eat...
Reply 96
Original post by MHorman
Yea, after Blutarsky announced to everyone we deadlifted the same i had to push extra hard today for an extra 5kg... :tongue: Although with mixed grip it was quite easy...

Gonna look into getting cheap chalk but i have no idea where to start... Knowing me i'd up up with a box of blackboard chalk if i tried buying some..

Nah, you'll be fine. I gotta repeat 87.5 again on friday... Will be monday before i even attempt 90 and i suck at all the other lifts. Think squat is my best one relatively...

Today killed me... I'm on my 4th meal of the day and it's a struggle to eat anymore... Never thought i'd be struggling to eat...

There must be a shop or website somewhere. I got mine on a whim from this shop that sells protein shakes and supplements near where i work. Just wandered in and they had it! Don't you have a shop like that near you? Mine is magnesium carbonate, whereas I do believe blackboard chalk is calcium carbonate :fyi:

:holmes:
Reply 97
Original post by MHorman

ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gymnastic-Chalk-professional-grade-1-block-/150549542812?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Gymnastics_CA&hash=item230d73b79c

Buy that, stick in a bog-standard tupperware box. Job done.
Reply 98
Original post by MHorman

There a Decathlon near you? You can get 2 chalk balls for £3 or something like that.
Reply 99
Original post by Becca
There must be a shop or website somewhere. I got mine on a whim from this shop that sells protein shakes and supplements near where i work. Just wandered in and they had it! Don't you have a shop like that near you? Mine is magnesium carbonate, whereas I do believe blackboard chalk is calcium carbonate :fyi:

:holmes:

Dunno, going into town tonight so will has a look in the sports shops...

Ty...Will go check that out now...

Original post by RNBen
There a Decathlon near you? You can get 2 chalk balls for £3 or something like that.

None south of london... :/

I ate about a gazillion calories of food yesterday(about 3500/4000), i almost died... I was really struggling by the evening to eat more...

Need to go shopping again sat and stock up with a giant amount of the essentials... Smart price tuna, Asda chunky peanut butter, cashew nuts etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest