The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconCommander
I started lifting (squats and deadlifts) 2 months before this guy. I squat 160 kg x 5, Deadlift 220 kg x 4, Press 80 kg x 5, Bench 110 kg x 5. Obviously these numbers outstrip his considerably.

I doubt strength training has made him a signifcantly better biker and strength training hasn't exactly made him strong either. He should either get strong and put on some muscle, or spend less hours in the gym and more on the bike, to improve his biking.

And I started two months after MHorman, lost four stone and will still beat those numbers you say you are doing in four months time :wink:
Original post by BaconCommander
I started lifting (squats and deadlifts) 2 months before this guy. I squat 160 kg x 5, Deadlift 220 kg x 4, Press 80 kg x 5, Bench 110 kg x 5. Obviously these numbers outstrip his considerably.

I doubt strength training has made him a signifcantly better biker and strength training hasn't exactly made him strong either. He should either get strong and put on some muscle, or spend less hours in the gym and more on the bike, to improve his biking.

if you got that strong on ss props to that, but mh has taken alot of times off e.g. 3 months for backpacking which took another month to get back to usual numbers, Christmas off etc etc.
Who cares, not everyone makes the same progress on every routine. Too many idiots about who think that if you can't squat 3 plates on SS you suck.
Tbh when BaconCommander(SummerSofas) started he had higher lifts than i have now so not surprisingly he's got eve hgiher.

If he started with th exact same lifts as me then maybe i would care more about his progression. I am failry impresse by his deads etc though.

Also, i went running yesterday and had a mini asthma attack halfway which was annoying. Was a nice run that my mate was showing me...

Gym tomorrow morning to try and hit 82.5*5 on madcows, squat something terrible for 5*5 and then light db press and some db rows...
Reply 1044
Original post by Motorbiker
Tbh when BaconCommander(SummerSofas) started he had higher lifts than i have now so not surprisingly he's got eve hgiher.

If he started with th exact same lifts as me then maybe i would care more about his progression. I am failry impresse by his deads etc though.

Also, i went running yesterday and had a mini asthma attack halfway which was annoying. Was a nice run that my mate was showing me...

Gym tomorrow morning to try and hit 82.5*5 on madcows, squat something terrible for 5*5 and then light db press and some db rows...

He's also like 30kg heavier than you I think.
Original post by Mdawg
He's also like 30kg heavier than you I think.

True. Tbh i don't mind friendly competition with people the same level of training and weight/lifts as me but i know i can't compete with a much larger guy.

I don't mind looking small tbh. In fact i find it funnier at the gym when i look like it's my first time in the gym then go deadlift like 160/170+. Always entertaining to see the funny looks you get.
Weigh in 72.2kg,lightweight. I like being around this weight.

Bench
20*10,
40*5,
50*5,
60*5,
70*5,
82.5*4, high reps(3+) are hard as **** on bench.
60*7.

I find i just lose tightness on higher reps. I find the first rep or two really easily then they just get a LOT harder for later reps.

Squats
20*7,
60*5,
95*5,5,5,5,5

Ridiculously difficult considering i've 5*5'd like 15kg heavier in the past.
Meh.

DB press
16kg*10,10,5

Arms went to jelly on third set.

DB row
16kg*5,
46*3/4(r/l),
40*10

Was being optimistic with 46 probably but i want to get to doing 50*5 soon as that's the heaviest db my gym has.
Then the 40*10 was really easy. Was only going to aim for 6 or 8 but they were flying up with no body swing.
Weigh in 72.5.
Standard weight atm.

Press
20*5,
30*3,
40*1,
55*1,
57.5*1, Lockout was really difficult
50*4,
lockout is weak.
Was going to go for 55*3 but then decided to go for heavy singles for fun.

Push press
50*2,
60*3,3,3

Fronties
20*8,
40*3,
60*3,
85*3,2 bar slipped. Heaviest weight ever front squatted. Was going to go for more but my technique isn't perfect and i hurt my fingers.

Deads
60*5,
100*2,
120*1,
150*4,1,
Ffs 4th rep was terrible form. Only went for 1 second set to get 5 total.

Db bench
18*5,
30*6,5, 5.
Happy with that.

Chins
BW+15kg*4
How heavy people do chin ups i have no idea...

PT watching me for press said he thinks i struggle with lockout due to weak core so i did some core stuff.

Core work.
Planks etc.

Tl;DR Press heavy single, meh FS, only got 4/5 on deadlift, nice DB Benching
(edited 12 years ago)
Are you getting your head through in the press?

Defo work on some multiple sets of triples at a lower weight on FS, maybe 65 x 3 for 4-5 sets? Should help you sort tekkers for the heavier weight. Try and think "lean back" to stop the bar slipping down and hurting you.
Original post by Becca
Are you getting your head through in the press?

Defo work on some multiple sets of triples at a lower weight on FS, maybe 65 x 3 for 4-5 sets? Should help you sort tekkers for the heavier weight. Try and think "lean back" to stop the bar slipping down and hurting you.

Urm, now you say that i don't know.
It's hard to think back but probably not.

I'll add in some light stuff on a different workout.:smile:
And yea, lean back should help.

i do fronties once a week, tbf i have no method of progression for them well i do i just do 5 triples at different weights, third time doing them and hit an easy 90x3

i changed my pressing method no sets across do something like this

50,52.5,55,57.5 all for 5 reps then a triple at 60, following session i either set a new 3 rep max or 5 rep max.

do a ****load of dips only need bodyweight tbf, add weight once you hit 20 reps.
helped so much that after 3 months i did skull crushers and ended up doing 15 per side on the ez bar.
Original post by Gallium

do a ****load of dips only need bodyweight tbf, add weight once you hit 20 reps.
helped so much that after 3 months i did skull crushers and ended up doing 15 per side on the ez bar.

I could do that before I could do 1 bw dip :eek:

Stopped doing them though because they didn't really work for me compared to pushdowns.
Original post by Tango189
I could do that before I could do 1 bw dip :eek:

Stopped doing them though because they didn't really work for me compared to pushdowns.

i could do a ton a dips, but i find dips inconsistent as i do them at the end of a workout, depending on how knackered i get frm bench or press effects how much i get.

i do skulls 15kg per side for like 3-5 sets of 10, and i only do them once every few months so i expect if i did them every week they'd shoot up.

Yeah, thinking "head through" helps me on locking out all my overhead stuff. Try and get the bar to go as straight up as possible.
Original post by Gallium
i do fronties once a week, tbf i have no method of progression for them well i do i just do 5 triples at different weights, third time doing them and hit an easy 90x3

i changed my pressing method no sets across do something like this

50,52.5,55,57.5 all for 5 reps then a triple at 60, following session i either set a new 3 rep max or 5 rep max.

Start your blog again.

Although looking at how you're squatting lately you're kicking my ass and your press has always been good because you do it a load.
Start your blog again.

Although looking at how you're squatting lately you're kicking my ass and your press has always been good because you do it a load.

i only press once a week, i went through a small period of like 3 weeks were i did it often, i delaoded my squat just getting back to my usual numbers and it's feet easier, hopefully i'll hit 125x5 before i struggle, deadlifts being stupid tho ;( and bench is going up!
CARDIO

Went Running.

Original post by Gallium
i only press once a week, i went through a small period of like 3 weeks were i did it often, i delaoded my squat just getting back to my usual numbers and it's feet easier, hopefully i'll hit 125x5 before i struggle, deadlifts being stupid tho ;( and bench is going up!

If only there was some type of fitness log of some kind where i could read this stuff to keep me better informed...

Tbh my squat went terrible for some reason so working back up with no belt/better form. Will also be getting proper weightlifting shoes soon so that will help a lot.

My deadlift is also tempermental but only really goes up when i do it consistently and that's not what i've been doing lately. Want 200 before end of year and only at 180 atm and that was for a VERY tough single like 2 months ago.
CARDIO

Went Running.

If only there was some type of fitness log of some kind where i could read this stuff to keep me better informed...

Tbh my squat went terrible for some reason so working back up with no belt/better form. Will also be getting proper weightlifting shoes soon so that will help a lot.

My deadlift is also tempermental but only really goes up when i do it consistently and that's not what i've been doing lately. Want 200 before end of year and only at 180 atm and that was for a VERY tough single like 2 months ago.

i wanted 200 by july and 220 by end of the year, but thats not going to happen at this rate ;(, and i hate keeping a log my progress sucks bad!
Weigh in 72.5, Afternoon weigh in so expected to be 73+

Bench.
20*7,
40*5,
50*5,
60*5,
70*5,
85*3, easy
65*8.

Weird i failed on monday then found today easy.
It's just high reps i struggle with.

Squats
20*7,
50*4,80*1,
100*5,5,5,5, 5. (May be 5*5 PB, i dunno, not done it much until very recently)
72.5*17
Almost passed out after racking it... Wanted 20 reps at BW but nvm. Was knackered after 25 reps at 100 tbh.

DB Row
26kg*3,
46kg *5,pb,
42*7. Happy with these, Making progress doing them twice a week lately.

Squats were tough but back to a reasonable weight again at 2 plates for 5*5. Want to hit bw*1.5 for 5*5 and that would be just under 110kg.

Original post by Gallium
i wanted 200 by july and 220 by end of the year, but thats not going to happen at this rate ;(, and i hate keeping a log my progress sucks bad!

I wanted 200 by summer i think but never mind...

Keep a log then you can easily see what you've done when you get good progress. And i can make sure your bench doesn't catch mine.
How can you be arsed to weigh yourself every session?

Quick Reply

Latest