The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Blutarsky
What's your diet like?

Urm, breakfast is normally 4 wheetabix with whole milk+ a pint of whole milk...

Lunch is normally either a triple egg sandwish, a double egg+porkloin sandiwch or a massive Peanut Butter sandwich...

Dinner is normally some type of meat(chicken breast/chunk o fish/pork loin/tin of tuna with Pasta/Rica(Just moved to wholegrain on both of these this week) and a random bit of veg chucked in as well.

Snacks of random pints of whole milk. Averaging about 3/4 pints a day...

Also, snacking on Cashew Nuts a lot... And peanut Butter...

It's not perfect but i get a load of protein in which is what i need atm... Looking at it witten down i could use more veg/fruit...

Stole this from earlier in the thread when someone asked me.
I am trying to get in a 4th meal atm which i manage about half of the time (well, workout days) which is basically a very large snack mid afternoon so it;s like brekkie 8am, lunch noon, mid afternoon 4pm, dinner 8...

Tis hard keeping up though... And i've upped my portion sizes by about 30/40% on every meal since last time.

Gym this morning(labs are not on so i don't have to go at half 7 :smile: )

I will be attempting 87.5/52.5/100. :biggrin:

The 100 Deadlift will be tough as i am a n00b without chalk. Don't have an ebay account so couldn't get that one. When i'm in town at the weekend i will try and find a sports shop to get some...
Milk is good!

Good luck with the lifts. Don't fail :wink:
Reply 122
Original post by MHorman
x

I have an eBay account, so if you can't find any in town give me a shout and I will happily order it for you.
Reply 123
UPDATE

Good workout.

Squats
20*5
40*5
60*3
87.5*5,5,5

First time i've hit all 3 sets at 87.5.
90 next time. :biggrin:

Bench
20*5
30*4
40*2
52.5*5,5,5

Still not at my best but my bench and general upper body strength still sucks...

Deadlift
40*5
60*4
80*2
100*5(PB)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Mixed grip for the 100kg set and it was HEAVY!

Assistance

Chin ups
BW*8,
BW*4

Not good but they're just assistance anyway...

Bro-cep Curls
12kg*6,6,6

Gonna up the reps a bit more next session...

Hit everything today.:biggrin:
Reply 124
Nice work. How long do you spend in the gym per session?
Reply 125
Original post by RNBen
Nice work. How long do you spend in the gym per session?

About 45 minutes.
Well done on the PB :smile:
Reply 127
CARDIO UPDATE

Spinning at 11 and the new spin bikes have PC screens on now so your RPM is in big numbers for everyone to see and i may have got competitive with the girl next to me...

RPME Wise, Had to hold it at 128 for 4 minutes for one song and i was told to try and hit 160, i got 157... Grrr... Was good fun...
Not including warm up/cool down...
Total time: 42:32
Heart Rate Average/Max: 171/183

After that went for a casual cycle as i wanted to get mon haircut in town and see the new house for next year.
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/MHorman/58ktjh1eqmkuq3js
Still managed to averaged 154 and peak at 177 on the heart rate...

Tried taking photos of my new house but connection died whilst uploading so i have half of 1 pic...

Tl;dr I did cardio
Reply 128
You looking to do running for supporting cardio mate?
Reply 129
Keeping an eye on this thread. My progress has really kickstarted now since fixing my diet, looking to catch up to you sooner rather than later :wink: .
Reply 130
Original post by RobbieC
You looking to do running for supporting cardio mate?

Yea, atm i'm just doing cardio at weekends and have been running twice.

Next weekend is my 3 hour motobike race on the sunday so that will be my cardio and then after that i'll probably be out running again..

So far have been twice, a reasonable 5k in 27 mins and then a slow 6.5k in 40 mins... Will work up to about 10k runs by the summer...

Original post by mirin?
Keeping an eye on this thread. My progress has really kickstarted now since fixing my diet, looking to catch up to you sooner rather than later :wink: .

Nice one. I'll be keeping an eye on your thread as well...

60kg squat is a bit low though, come on... :tongue:

Oh and update yours more regularly, there was like a 2 week gap with nothing...

Today got woken up by my random drunk friends at 2am after i decided not to go out with them, when one of them lives in your accomadation block they will end up banging on your door. FML. I'm firing today on about 6 hours sleep which is annoying when i could have got a nice 10 or so...

Rest day though then hitting workout B tomorrow starting with a 90 squat then 40 OHP again(I reckon i'd hit about 1/2 reps of 42.5) then i dunno about the rows, i may move them to dumbell rows as my barbell rows seems to be all over the place...
Reply 131
I'd like to do squats and things like that, but my gym is full of some real 'meatheads', who would crucify you for doing a single thing wrong. Perhaps I'll just grab the thing one night when the gym is nearing closing...

Any videos for technique that you'd recommend?

And daaaaaaamn, your 5km is much better than mine. Obviously I need to slim down some more! Quit moving the goalposts!
Reply 132
Original post by RobbieC
I'd like to do squats and things like that, but my gym is full of some real 'meatheads', who would crucify you for doing a single thing wrong. Perhaps I'll just grab the thing one night when the gym is nearing closing...

Any videos for technique that you'd recommend?

And daaaaaaamn, your 5km is much better than mine. Obviously I need to slim down some more! Quit moving the goalposts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Is the video i started with.

Also, start fairly light and watch your technique in the mirror...

And don't worry about the "meatheads" half of them will be lifting with crap technique which could be corrected by watching 2 videos on the internet.

And my recent 5k time is actually slower than the one i did late last year.
My best is 26 mins and i did 27 mins a few weeks ago.

Hoping to get it sub 25 mins in the short term and in the long term start nailing 10k runs as well and get them nice and quick...

But when you're running 3 times a week and i'm running once a week/fortnight you'll overtake me within a month or so.
Reply 133
Original post by MHorman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Is the video i started with.

Also, start fairly light and watch your technique in the mirror...

And don't worry about the "meatheads" half of them will be lifting with crap technique which could be corrected by watching 2 videos on the internet.

And my recent 5k time is actually slower than the one i did late last year.
My best is 26 mins and i did 27 mins a few weeks ago.

Hoping to get it sub 25 mins in the short term and in the long term start nailing 10k runs as well and get them nice and quick...

But when you're running 3 times a week and i'm running once a week/fortnight you'll overtake me within a month or so.
Not while I'm a 20+ stone gentleman I won't!

Good goals though and cheers for the vid.
Just realised I haven't posted here yet.

Good work on the squats, mate. You'll soon be at two plates for reps - a huge milestone. I remember how ecstatic I was after I hit the big two plates mark.
Original post by RobbieC

Emphasis mine. This is simply not true. Nearly all the 'meatheads' I've ever met have been nice blokes with a reasonable head for training and are happy to help newbies. Everyone started somewhere.
Reply 136
Original post by The Blind Monk
Emphasis mine. This is simply not true. Nearly all the 'meatheads' I've ever met have been nice blokes with a reasonable head for training and are happy to help newbies. Everyone started somewhere.
Maybe it's an Essex thing.

They're all skinheads who talk about 'the missus' and lower their pitch to fend off the assumption that they are gay.

Perhaps they could just stop staring at themselves in the mirror and touching other men's arms and legs?

They make me lol.
Original post by RobbieC
Maybe it's an Essex thing.

They're all skinheads who talk about 'the missus' and lower their pitch to fend off the assumption that they are gay.

Perhaps they could just stop staring at themselves in the mirror and touching other men's arms and legs?

They make me lol.

Reply 138
UPDATE

Bit of a meh workout today tbh...

Squat
20*5
40*4
60*3
90*5,0,1(5RM PB)

Ok, i'll explain, on the second set i went down too far and one side hit the bars and put me off balance slightly i tried to push up anyway and got up about 3/4 inches then died so the weight slammed back on the bars... I unloaded, reracked and reloaded it but the stupid failure of a middle set took it all out of me...

I'll get it next time though...

Strict Press
20*5
30*3
40*5,5,5

Same as last time but this weight is still stupidly difficult, Was going to try and go for 8 on the last set but failed on my 6th...

Rows

AS usual the entire rugy team invaded the free weights room halfway through my workout so i went for dumbell rows instead of barbell rows today as they were using them all.

14kg*5
24*5/5/6

Assistance

Pull Ups
BW*3
BW*3

Still suck at these a lot...

Bro-cep Curls
14kg*5/5/4(Cheated the 5th rep)

Bit of a meh workout overall, got my 5RM on squats but then badly failed the other ones... Also did a new high on the curls at the end...
Not every day is going to go to plan. That's the nature of trying to make progress 3x a week on the same core excercises. But it also means you're learning your groove so eventually end up a lot stronger than you would otherwise.

That and the press is just a bastard. I've given up on it. I'd rather do push presses (at least for now.)

Quick Reply

Latest