The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrissyH
I'm at Edinburgh and they have a written test followed by a buzzer round with teams made up of the top 20 people from the written test :tongue:

It sounds fun. It was nice seeing Edinburgh on the TV special. Hope you make it into the team and enjoy yourself. :smile:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It sounds fun. It was nice seeing Edinburgh on the TV special. Hope you make it into the team and enjoy yourself. :smile:

Haha, maybe next year...

I only got about 6 questions right (I think) out of 45. When I got back and looked for the answers I saw that I should have got at least 20...Feeling a bit down at the moment but I tried my best :tongue:. The questions were so so difficult though, 15 questions on science and medicine and then most of the general knowledge ones were science :confused:
I'm at Edinburgh and they have a written test followed by a buzzer round with teams made up of the top 20 people from the written test :tongue:

I'm at a London uni and I'm also going through the team selection process ... and it's serious business here!

The first round had circa 150 people turn up - then we had a second round of like 35-40 people. Somehow I've managed to stumble my way into the top 10 and the final round, which is going to give us our first taste of buzzer action :biggrin:.

The only thing I am thinking of as I go through all this is how much easier it would have been at my undergrad uni (a Cambridge college) if I'd ever bothered to try out ...
I think that might be my best ever and it was a while ago. I'm going to start scoring myself regularly to see how I do. It's kind of a cheat though, I suppose really you should have a buzzer and score it properly in 10s and 5s, complete with deductions for prematurely incorrect starters. :cool:

Yeah, in reality I probably get quite a few starters incorrect - but I do also only count my score if I get it right before any of the competitors.

24 is by a fair distance my best score, I'm usually very consistent in the 12-20 range.
(edited 9 years ago)
My best score in a while... got 10! Was So Happy especially considering the fact i'm 15, Surprised myself by getting all the Music Questions right!
Maybe the questions were easier this week I think I had my best ever tally too.
Original post by ClickItBack
I'm at a London uni and I'm also going through the team selection process ... and it's serious business here!

The first round had circa 150 people turn up - then we had a second round of like 35-40 people. Somehow I've managed to stumble my way into the top 10 and the final round, which is going to give us our first taste of buzzer action :biggrin:.

The only thing I am thinking of as I go through all this is how much easier it would have been at my undergrad uni (a Cambridge college) if I'd ever bothered to try out ...

Got the news today, as I suspected, I wasn't successful. However, the pass mark to get through was only 17 out of 45...And I should've got that.
Got the news today, as I suspected, I wasn't successful. However, the pass mark to get through was only 17 out of 45...And I should've got that.

Oh, shame. :console: At least you tried though. A lot of those kinds of things are down to how you feel on the day. :smile:
Original post by Xphoenix
My best score in a while... got 10! Was So Happy especially considering the fact i'm 15, Surprised myself by getting all the Music Questions right!

You can only get better as you go along. It's so nice that you're interested, lots of peeps around here love the show. :colondollar:
Markedly easier this week, I managed 39. Not a very flattering photo of Mark Spitz, don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Markedly easier this week, I managed 39. Not a very flattering photo of Mark Spitz, don't you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, Actually Didn't think of him when I saw the Photo, but got the rest right!
7 today.

The Sussex team were dead cute!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester looking much better tonight, I started brilliantly but it was false hope :frown:
Manchester looking much better tonight, I started brilliantly but it was false hope :frown:

I do like good guessers :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
7 today.

The Sussex team were dead cute!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but looks aren't everything. :teehee: Manchester really blew them away though in the end. I am beginning to have thoughts about Manchester doing well again this year after a rather limited start.
thought JP was very harsh on the Solzhenitsyn answer.... :shakecane:
Original post by the bear
thought JP was very harsh on the Solzhenitsyn answer.... :shakecane:

I don't know... I thought the answer was some way off. That was probably the right call. :yep:
Yeah, but looks aren't everything. :teehee: Manchester really blew them away though in the end. I am beginning to have thoughts about Manchester doing well again this year after a rather limited start.

Not cute in the attractive way, but the awwww sort of way :biggrin:

Not spotted any cuties yet tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trinity were marvellous. For some reason bear™ thought that the dog from Oliver! was called Bullet :s-smilie:
Original post by the bear
Trinity were marvellous. For some reason bear™ thought that the dog from Oliver! was called Bullet :s-smilie:

Only got 4, but made it up to 7 by getting all the Japanese food ones right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest