The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Anastasia Reynolds is apparently from Leytonstone - hence it is hot news at the Epping and Waltham Forest Guardian.
http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/11860144.Leytonstone_student_s_team_knocked_out_of_University_Challenge/
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I really enjoyed the map question, partly because my Dad is originally from Ramsbottom! :teehee:

I was a bit embarrassed not to get Cleopatra's Nose, as I actually knew that. :angry:

So Magdalen to win then? Is that what we think? :smile:

nonononono Caius ftw :angry:
a very enjoyable show last night.

we shall miss Mr Trueblood.

bear™ beat the brains on these answers:

Turbulent Flow

Levi Strauss

Taiwan ( bear™ said Formosa which is even better :teeth: )

Men of Harlech ( even though bear™ is not Welsh )

:hat2:
Original post by the bear
a very enjoyable show last night.

we shall miss Mr Trueblood.

bear™ beat the brains on these answers:

Turbulent Flow

Levi Strauss

Taiwan ( bear™ said Formosa which is even better :teeth: )

Men of Harlech ( even though bear™ is not Welsh )

:hat2:

Haha, yeah, I got those last two, but I said "Taiwan" and I definitely knew it was Formosa. :frown:

I don't think Magdalen can be stopped now. :yep:
Haha, yeah, I got those last two, but I said "Taiwan" and I definitely knew it was Formosa. :frown:

I don't think Magdalen can be stopped now. :yep:

hehehe you have forgotten the mighty

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
hehehe you have forgotten the mighty

Spoiler

You're right. I've forgotten them.

Let's hope they turned up on the night, a final of only one team is so dull.
You're right. I've forgotten them.

Let's hope they turned up on the night, a final of only one team is so dull.

is it possible to bet on the outcome ?
is it possible to bet on the outcome ?

Doubtful if it is prerecorded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I bet Trueblood was annoyed that his team didn't get the medicine related bonuses... :biggrin:
Just watched tonite's show. G&C were on fine form, not showing any stress.

bear™ knew Permian and Ordovician/Silurian and Schumann and Manet :smug:

bear™ knew none of the American Revolutionary Ladies :colondollar:
I'm sure Twitter will be thrilled at another all-male Oxbridge University Challenge final. :p:
Backing Magdalen, in particular, Benny and Quinn to fire. Ngl it essentially is a two v two with them against Taylor and the Cambridge captain
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I'm sure Twitter will be thrilled at another all-male Oxbridge University Challenge final. :p:

Tumblr will no doubt crash :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The important thing is that Caius have already beaten Magdalen, so if they lose the final we can blame it all on the format.

I got the Permian one, but I didn't know the others. I was too busy wondering why Cretaceous begins with a 'C' and the boundary extinction is called 'K'-T. :confused:

I knew the revolutionary ladies! However, I was severely stumped by (but enjoyed nonetheless) the n+7 avant garde poetry. :teehee:
Original post by opaltiger
The important thing is that Caius have already beaten Magdalen, so if they lose the final we can blame it all on the format.

Or Paxman bias lol.

I still think Magdalen will win, Keys are good but they don't have quite the sharp edge needed I don't think. (Dons hat, waits for Bear to go into attack mode. :giggle:)

I figured out the Marvell, Donne and Milton, even though I had no idea what was going on with the word changes.
Original post by Birkenhead
I figured out the Marvell, Donne and Milton, even though I had no idea what was going on with the word changes.

Yeah, the Milton one was easier, but that was cool knowing the others, you'd have to be really into 17th Century poetry. :smile:
I got the Permian one, but I didn't know the others. I was too busy wondering why Cretaceous begins with a 'C' and the boundary extinction is called 'K'-T. :confused:

I knew the revolutionary ladies! However, I was severely stumped by (but enjoyed nonetheless) the n+7 avant garde poetry. :teehee:

It's from the German (Kreide), because there's already a C (Carboniferous).
Yeah, the Milton one was easier, but that was cool knowing the others, you'd have to be really into 17th Century poetry. :smile:

Not particularly. I studied the Marvell and Donne at GCSE and 'Paradise Lost' at A-Level.

Quick Reply

Latest