The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

I quite liked the element questions tonight. I wish we had more of the: 'if Nebraska is Neon and Arkansas is Argon, what is Missouri?' (I think that was it). Geography and science, perfect mix.

Tonight, I think Cambridge outclassed Leeds, but James (or Janes) on the centre left was particularly good. They're a very good team, and IMO, the ones to watch so far.

If there are any Leeds people on here, don't be offended, you're still amazing to be there in the first place :-)
Reply 961
Original post by AspiringGenius
I quite liked the element questions tonight. I wish we had more of the: 'if Nebraska is Neon and Arkansas is Argon, what is Missouri?' (I think that was it). Geography and science, perfect mix.

Tonight, I think Cambridge outclassed Leeds, but James (or Janes) on the centre left was particularly good. They're a very good team, and IMO, the ones to watch so far.

If there are any Leeds people on here, don't be offended, you're still amazing to be there in the first place :-)

His name was Janes, and yes he played brilliantly. A whopping score of 320 destroyed Leeds. Very entertaining episode :smile:
Clare, Cambridge were amazing today!

Possible finalists dare I say?

I'm still routing for one of the Oxford colleges though...
Reply 963
I like following the individuals. Last year's stars were Orr (the Dutch guy), the Canadian guy (Watson? That might be a massive guess), there was another great person with a double-barrelled surname and a few others. Janes looks like a fun guy this year.
22 right tonight, have applied to be part of the Bath team. Really want to get on!
Original post by paddy__power
It's just general knowledge really and I am sad enough to watch quite a few quizzes :dontknow:

I love quiz programmes!!! :biggrin: Im not usually any good at them but i love watching them....and the challenge channel on tv...

Mastermind, Eggheads, The Chase, WWTBAM, Pointless, Only Connect

I think these are the main ones these days but I have always watched and done quizzes ever since I did bamboozle every morning against my dad since I was like 5, lol. Needless to say I rarely won unless the questions happened to be about pop music or whatever :tongue:

Pointless is my favourite :smile: Im going off eggheads, rarely watch only connect, the chase i used to watch but its on the same time as pointless now :frown:, wwtbam is good too :smile:
Original post by Sagacious
Clare, Cambridge were amazing today!

Possible finalists dare I say?

I'm still routing for one of the Oxford colleges though...

I always routed for York as its my hometown and im not at uni yet so... but they got knocked out in round 1 this year after making last years final :frown:

Do lancaster ever have a team??

Original post by gumball
I like following the individuals. Last year's stars were Orr (the Dutch guy), the Canadian guy (Watson? That might be a massive guess), there was another great person with a double-barrelled surname and a few others. Janes looks like a fun guy this year.

Guttenplan is the best individual ever!!!!!!
Theres someone with a funny name this year but i cant remeber what it was...they're through to round 2 so...
Original post by BeccaCath94
I always routed for York as its my hometown and im not at uni yet so... but they got knocked out in round 1 this year after making last years final :frown:

:frown: I really enjoyed watching Durham in the first round :smile: They scored 325 points!

We need a University Challenge Christmas Special; Janes vs Guttenplan.

Edit; just checked Wiki, it was UCL that knocked York out..

Newcastle vs Birmingham next week. (Birmingham beat Trinity College, Cambridge in the first round).
(edited 12 years ago)

I hope so, If not I'll make one :tongue: I'd love to be on there,
agessss ago there was a guy on there that when they all said what they were reading he said "Reading furiously", I don't know why but it amused me :redface:
Original post by Sagacious
:frown: I really enjoyed watching Durham in the first round :smile: They scored 325 points!

We need a University Challenge Christmas Special; Janes vs Guttenplan.

Edit; just checked Wiki, it was UCL that knocked York out..

Newcastle vs Birmingham next week. (Birmingham beat Trinity College, Cambridge in the first round).

Woo!! :biggrin:
Oh definately!!! We could have an individuals uni challenge with 8 people (or 4 pairs) representing unis and they're all legends.......

Grrr i dont like UCL any more... :P

Ooh cool :smile: Newcastle were good werent they?

Original post by calamitysarah
I hope so, If not I'll make one :tongue: I'd love to be on there,
agessss ago there was a guy on there that when they all said what they were reading he said "Reading furiously", I don't know why but it amused me :redface:

Haha yeah you'll have to!! I'd love to be in the audience...i'd be a rubbish contestant!!

:eek: hahahah thats funny!! :tongue:
I love quiz programmes!!! :biggrin: Im not usually any good at them but i love watching them....and the challenge channel on tv...

Pointless is my favourite :smile: Im going off eggheads, rarely watch only connect, the chase i used to watch but its on the same time as pointless now :frown:, wwtbam is good too :smile:

Awesome.

I like multiple choice quizzes as they are much easier :yes:

I often beat people on eggheads but rarely on mastermind, for example.
Awesome.

I like multiple choice quizzes as they are much easier :yes:

I often beat people on eggheads but rarely on mastermind, for example.

:biggrin:

Yeah true....although pointless is my favourite and its not always multiple choice....

Well done :biggrin:
:biggrin:

Yeah true....although pointless is my favourite and its not always multiple choice....

Well done :biggrin:

being good at quizzes is only useful if you go on one and win money. I would love to go on WWTBAM but the fastest finger first is difficult.
being good at quizzes is only useful if you go on one and win money. I would love to go on WWTBAM but the fastest finger first is difficult.

True. Very true....
Clare smashed leeds last night!
Well done ChessPieceFace (and the rest of Clare)!

Tripped up on too many biological questions. And those opera questions were annoying... the 2nd most famous early 20th-century opera composer of each nationality (well, apart from Bartók).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gumball

Were you on last year's St. John's team yourself or something? Can't see why else you would name a couple of guys who went out in the second round having lost two of their three matches as 'stars' of the series.
Reply 977
Original post by Ebolavirus
Were you on last year's St. John's team yourself or something? Can't see why else you would name a couple of guys who went out in the second round having lost two of their three matches as 'stars' of the series.

I'm talking about the people as... themselves. Their dress sense, accent, tone etc. They just stuck out for me.

I wasn't part of that team, college or even University, but somehow I remembered them.

EDIT:

Haha, it turns out you're right. I can't remember if Bennett-Spragg was the double-barrelled name, but it ranks up there with the all time greatest surnames. Wilson was the one I was thinking of though.

Great team in terms of people, though can't remember/comment/judge based on how well they did!
(edited 12 years ago)
The double barrelled surname I can think of from last series is Haddad-Fonda, the guy in the Magdalen Oxford team, sat centre left, came from washhington state. I loved that team :love:
Original post by AspiringGenius
The double barrelled surname I can think of from last series is Haddad-Fonda, the guy in the Magdalen Oxford team, sat centre left, came from washhington state. I loved that team :love:

My favourite team was St John's, Oxford from a few years ago. Chen Parry Woodheusen and Townsend.

Quick Reply

Latest