The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Hindsight
1000th comment wooooo

*1001st comment.
Has an ex poly ever appeared on this program? Has there ever been a game not involving an Oxbridge college? Just asking.........
Original post by AspiringGenius
I always forgot the far right member of the Magdalen team, exceot he was really good at maths and science.

I loved, when they explain whom they are at the beginning, McComish and Haddad-Fonda came out with respective Australian and American accents, and then Chan, the captain, who looked Asian and probably the least British, came out with a royal posh accent, saying he was from Leamington Spa :colondollar:

They were also quite fashionable. Although I have to say, I've watched a few of the ancient episodes form the 50s on youtube and I am waiting for the day when an Oxbridge team comes out wearing the full academic garb. :love:

Plus, your sig :love: (I'm a little too affectionate don't you think? It's 16 btw, and Pi. I can't forgive you for not having Pi)

:teehee:

What do you mean about pi?
Original post by madferit-lfc
What's everyone's best score? Mines 15, but can't seem to get through the barrier :/

Something around 20 probably although I more routinely get 12 - 15 kind of range. If I were to go on the show I wouldn't have to answer science stuff though so I don't mind :tongue:
Original post by Dr Good Manners
Has an ex poly ever appeared on this program? Has there ever been a game not involving an Oxbridge college? Just asking.........

Many games don't involve "Oxbridge" colleges, and yes - the University of Bradford actually won the show once. :smile:
The double barrelled surname I can think of from last series is Haddad-Fonda, the guy in the Magdalen Oxford team, sat centre left, came from washhington state. I loved that team :love:

That rings an even stronger bell. I think this was the one I was thinking of.
Original post by Dr Good Manners

Oxford Brookes got to the quarter finals last year, they even beat an Oxbridge team I think (geddon)
Original post by k9markiii
:teehee:

What do you mean about pi?

Pi is a mathematical constant. There are only fovea, and what credit does it get? Some chav in Essex asking what it is and where does it come from.

Original post by gumball
That rings an even stronger bell. I think this was the one I was thinking of.

Oh yeah.... I feel like I'm in Geography again :trollface:
Original post by paddy__power
Many games don't involve "Oxbridge" colleges, and yes - the University of Bradford actually won the show once. :smile:

Bradford was never a polytechnic. It was formed (alongside York, Warwick, Aston, Lancaster etc) in 1966 in the mid-1960s period that saw many places often known as plate glass universities instituted.
Original post by Good bloke
Bradford was never a polytechnic. It was formed (alongside York, Warwick, Aston, Lancaster etc) in 1966 in the mid-1960s period that saw many places often known as plate glass universities instituted.

My bad, I thought it was formed as one but I never actually checked.
The double barrelled surname I can think of from last series is Haddad-Fonda, the guy in the Magdalen Oxford team, sat centre left, came from washhington state. I loved that team :love:

Ahh yes i remember him...

Was he in the team that was made of people from all over the world and not UK.....
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ahh yes i remember him...

Was he in the team that was made of people from all over the world and not UK.....

Except Chan, who came from Leamington Spa :-)
Except Chan, who came from Leamington Spa :-)

He was so posh for an chinese asian guy!
Original post by Brand New Eyes
He was so posh for an chinese asian guy!

:love:

I think I'm falling in love with the UC people desperately. I found a UC BOARDGAME!!!!! :party:

I'm trying to organise a UC party for the final with my friends... Unfortunately, only one watched UC.

That's still lucky though, I should be grateful!

I think I'm falling in love with the UC people desperately. I found a UC BOARDGAME!!!!! :party:

I'm trying to organise a UC party for the final with my friends... Unfortunately, only one watched UC.

Haha you need 7 other people for it to be just like UC!

My school did it last year! But there were only 2 rounds so even though my team won, we didn't get to the final :frown:
Haha you need 7 other people for it to be just like UC!

My school did it last year! But there were only 2 rounds so even though my team won, we didn't get to the final :frown:

Ahhh... Well, 5 need to be Cambridge alumni, 4 Oxford alumni, and yiu need a big audience cheering at the right answers.

I wish our school did that, we should do an inter-tutor group one. I wouldn't like to face the IB tutor group :yikes:
Ahhh... Well, 5 need to be Cambridge alumni, 4 Oxford alumni, and yiu need a big audience cheering at the right answers.

I wish our school did that, we should do an inter-tutor group one. I wouldn't like to face the IB tutor group :yikes:

Paxman is a Cambridge alum? haha Not all the episodes are oxbridge dominated! .... only most :lol:

Lol IB and A Level are practically the same, doubt they'd have much knowledge outside their subjects! hehe
Paxman is a Cambridge alum? haha Not all the episodes are oxbridge dominated! .... only most :lol:

Lol IB and A Level are practically the same, doubt they'd have much knowledge outside their subjects! hehe

I'm in a humble chemistry tutor. :teehee: I used to be in the IB one, but I freaked out under all the horror stories :shame:
I have history the next day, and always end up doing about 4 exam questions for homework lying on the lounge floor in front of it. And Only Connect afterwards. Not sure why.
EDIT: Oh, and I'm very proud of getting a question right when neither Oxford nor Cambridge did a few weeks ago. They played a Beyonce song asking who the artist was and neither of them knew, whilst I was at home screaming at the TV! Best part was, talked to my friends the next day and one of them was screaming at the TV too!
(edited 12 years ago)

a-mazing.
Original post by gumball

Original post by gumball
I'm talking about the people as... themselves. Their dress sense, accent, tone etc. They just stuck out for me.

I wasn't part of that team, college or even University, but somehow I remembered them.

EDIT:

Haha, it turns out you're right. I can't remember if Bennett-Spragg was the double-barrelled name, but it ranks up there with the all time greatest surnames. Wilson was the one I was thinking of though.

Great team in terms of people, though can't remember/comment/judge based on how well they did!

i'm good friends with al-hourani's brother :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending