The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I smell like maths
mad love for mukherjee, he bossed the economics questions!

They were easy - especially for a Cambridge Economics student!
Tonight is the final !!

I am really excited !!

:bear:
excited about tonight, want manchester too win :smile:
Ooh wow!!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

But that also means it wont be on anymore :frown: :frown:
Been looking forward to this final since Manchester won their semi!
Go Manchester! :dance::dance:
Being a Mancunian myself I should really be going for Manchester

however they always seem to have a home advantage as Mediacity UK is in Manchester. Eh...

I'm going for pembroke. I hope to apply there myself next year. As much As I love the Manchester setup, the consistency of Bibek Mukherjee combined with the Ben Pugh assault will get them through.
Shame for the Manchester captain; he really knows his stuff. Amusing too. Not entirely dissimilar to Karran.
All 4 of those would probably feature on my "Dream team" of this season. I'd be tempted to put Knapp in From Worcester because he just swept up anything geography-related like it was nothing.

Original post by I smell like maths
mad love for mukherjee, he bossed the economics questions!

As much as I share this sentiment and admire his style, those questions were a tad easy, especially for the man himself. As an A-level Economics student myself I found them rather easy.

And was I the only one who cringed when Pembroke made a right meal of those chess questions in their semi-final?
ehehe

"The working classes smell" is still amusing.

Anyways, GL Pembroke. Both teams deserve to win, but I'm tipping the Undefeated Pembrokians tonight. ^^
Manchester losing to UCL sorta makes them less favourites in my book, especially after Pembroke beat UCL nicely.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Doesn't it tell you something about the demographics of candidates for places on teams, given that each team will try to maximise its chances of doing well?
What does it tell you about the demographics of each team's candidates other than at least four of them are generally male?

Surely we don't know enough to be able to say [a priori :rolleyes:] whether the abundance of testosterone is because there are more males who apply, more males who are selected or both? I mean, we can assume that it's probably both, but it doesn't necessarily follow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Methinks we need a Knapp/Karran/Grynger fan club made.

Some excellent and amusing players who really shone/stood out in the teams they were in. Absolute legends too ^^
Original post by Silverland
Methinks we need a Knapp/Karran/Grynger fan club made.

Some excellent and amusing players who really shone/stood out in the teams they were in. Absolute legends too ^^

Pugh?
here we go!
that was an intense match!:teeth:
(Manchester) Burke seems very ecstatic, both in and out of the game.
Reply 1312
Suddenly, the Duchess of Cornwall appeared!

I was a nice final indeed. There were only 5 or 6 questions I knew for sure, especially the bonus in Physics.

Why don't they pick eclectic teams? They all seem to come from the same field, Manchester's came from Humanities and Pembroke's were from Sciences, apart from their captain.

I would think an eclectic team would have more success.
(edited 12 years ago)
Poor Bankes. Didn't do a single thing all game. The questions were rather tricky though.
On the other hand, Kelly had a complete stormer for Manchester. Burke and he did so well Pugh and Mukherjee were powerless.
Manchester are a great team (emphasis on the word team). Pembroke seemed a little reliant on their two central players and it just wan't their day

(to be fair any team who can't get GCSE physics questions right probably don't deserve to win. Screaming "Angle of Incidence" and "Snell's law" at my TV set isn't the sign of a winning team)

I noticed the announcer losing his voice a little whilst screaming "Pembroke Pugh"
Makes me chuckle

Burke was nice and modest during the awards ceremony I thought (shame it wasn't in the studio though. The poor audience who got tickets for the thing must feel cheated). Bankes and Pugh especially looked far more grown up which took me by surprise.
It'd be nice to think the two teams stayed in touch after the show. I'd love to think they could have some form of 'Super-team' between them ^^

Ah well. I still insist that Manchester have a home advantage of sorts, although their teamwork and captaincy is commendable. I guess the advantage of this is that Pembroke won't be flooded with extra applications now that they didn't win. Makes me getting in marginally easier.
I think It's quite nice that they got a nice trophy of sorts too. I want a University Challenge trophy =w=
Original post by guigao

Why don't they pick eclectic teams? They all seem to come from the same field, Manchester's came from Humanities and Pembroke's were from Sciences, apart from their captain.

not really.
Pugh of Pembroke studies German and Russian (iirc) and "Statistical research methods" and biochemisty hardly make the Manchester side a humanities one :/

Edit:
Knapp/Pugh/Burke/Karran

That's my final seasonal dream team.
The coolness of Knapp, the 'reflexes' of Pugh, the brilliance of Burke and the wit of Karran would take this team far indeed
(edited 12 years ago)
:love: Karran's tweets tonight.

:king1: Manchester aaah :heart:

Until next year then :frown:
I agree that Karran's tweets tonight are hilarious (especially the one about wearing a tux & Hawaiian shorts to the final were they to make it, and the joke about how UCL Andrews and Camilla could've taked about the workign classes smelling)

seriously getting a twitter account now =D
Reply 1317
Loved Burke and Pugh!
I was at the Pembroke open day last year and being the only person there for languages I had a long chat with Pugh about Russian. Also, he and Gold did some of the College tours and Gold set off the alarm in the library by taking us out through a fire exit, forcing an evacuation. Imagine my suprise when both of them appeared on University Challenge!

Sad they lost; they were both really friendly. On the day Kelly went on an epic streak for Manchester and the Pugh/Mukherjee powerhouse took a while to get going.
(edited 12 years ago)
what an intense match that was! congrats to manchester, commiserations to pembroke (the team i was hoping to win the final tonight).

i guess this thread will be inactive 'til summer for the 2012/2013 series then, haha. xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending