The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

I quite like this Pembroke team :smile:
Original post by Variations
I really don't think so. Would a British football team be any better than the current English, Welsh and Scottish teams?

There are 4 home nations. There are 31 Cambridge colleges (and probably a similar number at Oxford). The better analogy is "would a European football team be better than the English team?".
"Julius Caesar."
Oh dear. :no:
Original post by Christop
"Julius Caesar."
Oh dear. :no:

Missed it tonight, so just had to search what you meant on Twitter.

The best word for that is "awkward".
Paxman wanted to die in the first five minutes. There were some pretty ridiculous answers from both teams to be fair!
Just happy Bath are through.
Haven't seen any real Karrans or Guttenplans thus far this year =/

The new Pembroke team looks good though. Hopefully they go one step further this year and maybe if my application goes well I'll be playing for them one day~ :3
Reply 1426
"Moscow." :facepalm2: :facepalm2:
Just watched last night's episode on iPlayer. UCL absolutely mullered Exeter. That Dennis guy, what a legend :borat:
Reply 1428
Original post by Multitalented me
Just watched last night's episode on iPlayer. UCL absolutely mullered Exeter. That Dennis guy, what a legend :borat:

it was so difficult though, I think Exeter's score was fair, considering the difficulty. I only got 3 questions correct in the entire show. UCL's captain really was impressive though. He even knew the songwriters of the song in the music starter. I was like 'seriously? How did he know that...?'
Original post by Pride
it was so difficult though, I think Exeter's score was fair, considering the difficulty. I only got 3 questions correct in the entire show. UCL's captain really was impressive though. He even knew the songwriters of the song in the music starter. I was like 'seriously? How did he know that...?'

Yeh it was pretty difficult. I got like the one about utiltarianism as I currently study Economics the trig question the Brian Clough biography & the World Chess Champion one right, the others I didn't have a clue. I reckon I wouldn't be that bad if the questions were based solely on like sport lol but I would need to widen my knowledge in order to be held in the same regard as these beasts :tongue:
Original post by Multitalented me
Yeh it was pretty difficult. I got like the one about utiltarianism as I currently study Economics the trig question the Brian Clough biography & the World Chess Champion one right, the others I didn't have a clue. I reckon I wouldn't be that bad if the questions were based solely on like sport lol but I would need to widen my knowledge in order to be held in the same regard as these beasts :tongue:

So much of picking up good points in UC is solid guesswork. The questions are so specific that you'll never be able to know everything, so you learn a couple of bits from a load of subjects and use these to structure guesses. For example if a question starts off asking "Which London-based writer of the mid 19th century..." I'm instantly thinking Dickens. The hard part is deciding when your guess is strong enough to be able to buzz.

Saying that, the UCL captain last night got some unreal answers very early on in questions, especially in literature. That's what separates good contestants from elite ones - UCL should go far in the competition behind him
Original post by Hedgeman49
So much of picking up good points in UC is solid guesswork. The questions are so specific that you'll never be able to know everything, so you learn a couple of bits from a load of subjects and use these to structure guesses. For example if a question starts off asking "Which London-based writer of the mid 19th century..." I'm instantly thinking Dickens. The hard part is deciding when your guess is strong enough to be able to buzz.

Saying that, the UCL captain last night got some unreal answers very early on in questions, especially in literature. That's what separates good contestants from elite ones - UCL should go far in the competition behind him

Yeh I totally agree with the tactic you have pointed out, I was impressed with the UCL captain in the literature & music topics especially & they've acutally got the highest score so far this series, their main threats will come from the likes of Magdalen, Pembroke, Manchester, Imperial & Durham but I'm hoping we have non-Oxbridge winners again :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hedgeman49

That is such a good tip! I'll try use that from now on :biggrin:
and i agree UCL Dennis came out with some insane answers, and he had such a broad range of knowledge too!

Brilliant moment was this:
UCLPapaphilipopolous!
10 syllables :colone:
UCL...:coma:
UCL were extraordinarily impressive.
I would soooo get more of these questions if Jeremy would just slow down a tad :tongue:
Thought that Hood guy from New College Oxford was really good today, reckon they're real strong contenders...
Is there any particular reason why there is a lack of female representatives lol.
Reply 1438
I got quite a few today. It just goes to show though, it really depends on the questions.
India Lenon. :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest