The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by ravenk
I would think something sensible and comfortable would be the right idea. I'd probably go for a clean pair of jeans and a polo shirt or something.

Good oh, that's along the lines of what I was thinking! Cheers ravenk! Palazzo's and a nice top it is then!
Reply 421
Original post by ravenk
I would think something sensible and comfortable would be the right idea. I'd probably go for a clean pair of jeans and a polo shirt or something.

Any news U5ERNAME? I rather annoyingly didn't realise and managed to reply at 4ish (3 hours after deadline). Not the fairest of time frames really. Anyone else reply a few hours after the noon deadline?

Yes it was all fine in the end. They emailed me the following morning to confirm that my place has been reserved. Phew! :smile:
Has anyone gone for the assessment yet?? How was it??
Reply 423
i'm going to my RAC on Friday at scarmen, is anyone else? gonna be weird cos my husband went to warwick uni and i visited him many times!
Reply 424
Had my AC yesterday.

There are three conference centres in use for the ACs - all at the uni of Warwick.

They told us that there are 792 people who have made it to this stage and there are up to 210 jobs available, although they may take on less people if not enough meet the required standard.
Original post by mojo74
i'm going to my RAC on Friday at scarmen, is anyone else? gonna be weird cos my husband went to warwick uni and i visited him many times!

I think you mean AC! I've got mine on Friday as well but I'm at Arden.
Original post by swish2k
Gutted Ksenny, was hoping to have a lil ally there to calm me nerves! :wink:

If they are potentially using the more than one conference facility then, I wonder how many people will be in each group? I mean, we've been wittled down from like 11000, to 1600, to possibly about 700 I think I read somewhere. The full day ACs are over 2 months by the sounds of Mattehbt's email, average of about 3 ACs a week from hearing random people's AC dates, and 2 conference rooms used per day, that's about 15 per AC. Does that sound about right or too many/few? I've never been to an AC before so don't know what to expect.

I hate to get all fashion conscious on everyone's butts, but what are people wearing for the dinner the evening before? Obviously it'll be business dress for the day, but is it like smart/cas for the evening before?

Has anyone had their full day AC yet?

I really dont think it matters for the dinner the night before. It's nothing to do with the assessment process, so just wear whatever you would normally wear to eat your dinner. I live locally and they told me to not bother with it and just show up on the morning.
Reply 427
Original post by Rangefinder100
I think you mean AC! I've got mine on Friday as well but I'm at Arden.

Some of us are still waiting for our RACs!
Original post by jon214
Had my AC yesterday.

There are three conference centres in use for the ACs - all at the uni of Warwick.

They told us that there are 792 people who have made it to this stage and there are up to 210 jobs available, although they may take on less people if not enough meet the required standard.

Wow. so about a 1 in 4 chance of getting the role assuming all 210 are made offers. I have mine on Friday. Already rather nervous as I now really really want the job.

Any details on locations? Are the candidates with the best scores allowed first pick? Or is it allocated in a different way?
Original post by The Banker
Wow. so about a 1 in 4 chance of getting the role assuming all 210 are made offers. I have mine on Friday. Already rather nervous as I now really really want the job.

Any details on locations? Are the candidates with the best scores allowed first pick? Or is it allocated in a different way?

I've got mine on Friday as well, are you at Arden?
Reply 430
Just to let y'all know: I SURVIVED MY AC DAY, you you probably will too :smile: I won't give anything away unfortunately, but essentially everything they put in the acknowledgement pack is basically what happens. I was in Radcliffe and its SWWWIIIISSSHHHH, plus many 3-course meals, so they really aren't being stingy. They're also really friendly, as were all the other applicants on my day. So good luck to everyone I guess! :smile:
Reply 431
Original post by ~JC~
Just to let y'all know: I SURVIVED MY AC DAY, you you probably will too :smile: I won't give anything away unfortunately, but essentially everything they put in the acknowledgement pack is basically what happens. I was in Radcliffe and its SWWWIIIISSSHHHH, plus many 3-course meals, so they really aren't being stingy. They're also really friendly, as were all the other applicants on my day. So good luck to everyone I guess! :smile:

Congratulations! Glad to hear that you have survived it, I am not sure I will, feeling soooo nervous!!!
Could you tell us what happened on the first night? You arrived there, then you were welcomed by the centre manager, had your dinner and what next? did you have the chance to meet and chat to the other candidates?
Reply 432

Judging by last year's thread they choose the location for you, but obviously they take your preference in consideration whenever possible... basically if your chosen location is not available they would find smth nearby..
Reply 433
Original post by GarethBrown
I really dont think it matters for the dinner the night before. It's nothing to do with the assessment process, so just wear whatever you would normally wear to eat your dinner. I live locally and they told me to not bother with it and just show up on the morning.

I don't know if my PJs would be the most appropriate thing to wear to meet a bunch of strangers! :wink: :biggrin:

Well done to you brave survivors so far! I'm full of anticipation for next mon, but I think I'll be more nervous for the potential 2 and a half month wait for whether I've actually got a position! My heart was in my mouth every time I signed into my email just to discover if I got to this stage, never mind if I actually get the job! At least there are a lot more positions this year than previous years, so I hope a lot of us will be celebrating in May!

Good luck to anyone who's got their AC on Fri!
Original post by Rangefinder100
I've got mine on Friday as well, are you at Arden?

Nah I'm at Scarman. Good luck! :cool:
Reply 435

Regarding locations;
Everyone will be emailed around the 3rd of April to give there preferences on locations - getting this email doesn't mean you have got a job - we won't find that out until 11th May.

They rank all candidates that meet the minimum acceptable criteria in order of how they scored on the various parts of the assessment.
The candidate at the top obviously gets their 1st choice location.
The further down the list you are, the lower the chances of getting your first choice. However, even if none of you chosen locations are available (providing you meet the minimum criteria) they will still offer you a job, but you may need to be flexible with regards to location.

Also, there is no guarantee that all 210 jobs will be filled - last year they were recruiting for 55 jobs but in the end only took on 24 people.
Original post by jon214
Regarding locations;
Everyone will be emailed around the 3rd of April to give there preferences on locations - getting this email doesn't mean you have got a job - we won't find that out until 11th May.

They rank all candidates that meet the minimum acceptable criteria in order of how they scored on the various parts of the assessment.
The candidate at the top obviously gets their 1st choice location.
The further down the list you are, the lower the chances of getting your first choice. However, even if none of you chosen locations are available (providing you meet the minimum criteria) they will still offer you a job, but you may need to be flexible with regards to location.

Also, there is no guarantee that all 210 jobs will be filled - last year they were recruiting for 55 jobs but in the end only took on 24 people.

How do you know all of this stuff? Did they say all of this at the AC?
Reply 437
Original post by jon214

I wish I hadn't read that, odds seem smaller and smaller.. first it was round 1 in 3, then 1 in 4, and now could be just 1 in 8 or sth..

okay, at least I will get to see Warwick Uni, meet new people & have nice meals lol
Reply 438
Original post by tomratcliffe
How do you know all of this stuff? Did they say all of this at the AC?

Yes, They told us at the end of the AC
Original post by jon214
Yes, They told us at the end of the AC

Ah, cool, thanks.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else who've had their AC already) could give us an idea of what kind of thing people wore for the evening meal? I'm a bit worried about how smart people will or won't be dressing for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending