The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ADR
Hi Hambunny123, I had an internal candidate on my AC, did you attend the one on Wednesday 22nd?

Yup, I was in Radcliffe. :smile:
Reply 481
Original post by hambunny123
Yup, I was in Radcliffe. :smile:

Me to, I'm Adam

How did you think it went?
Hi, this is Eileen here. I think it didn't went too well for me. Didn't managed to finish the last group exercise.. Keeping fingers crossed for now but not having high hopes for it. How did it go for you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 483
Anyone still waiting for an answer after RAC?
attended birmingham on 16/01/12
Original post by 150S
Anyone still waiting for an answer after RAC?
attended birmingham on 16/01/12

yep
I just want to know :p: don't want to jinx or temp fate
Reply 485
I attended the one day Assessment Centre in Coventry last week, very intense day and there is very little you can do to prepare for it. The email outlining the program of exercises is fairly accurate. At the assessment we were told the following:

The project management exercise from the Regional assessment would be used as part of our overall score along with the exercises at the one day Assessment Centre. All exercises at the one day Assessment Centre (and including the previous project management exercise) will be scored before the assessors would leave the centre on each given day. We were told that ours was the second week of testing and that they would continue until the end of March. We were advised that we would know the outcome around the second or third week of April (there goes relaxing over the Easter hols!!!) as to whether we were successful or not.

We were also informed that there were approx 9000 candidates who had applied and that approx 800 will be attending the Assessment Centres. As of last week they were intending to recruit approx 200 (however there didn't seem to be a confirmation of the exact amount). Out of the 200, the candidate who scored best would effectively have their first choice of location, it seemed that they will then go down the list from the highest scoring candidate and offer them their choice of remaining locations. So, if you were number 200, you would most likely have to accept the last location available. That would seem to be the case by what we were told.

Anyway, good luck to all who have yet to attend or are waiting to find out if they are to attend.
Reply 486
Just had an email from HMRC.... 15th March at Warwick Uni anyone?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 487
Original post by Pedro77
We were advised that we would know the outcome around the second or third week of April (there goes relaxing over the Easter hols!!!) as to whether we were successful or not.

At my AC on Wednesday we were told that we would definitely not be told before the 11th May, or it could be even later. But he also said that we would get an email first in April asking about preferences of locations - I guess so they can offer the top people their top choice of location at the time of offering positions in May. It seems different people have been told different things by the different centre managers! So I wouldn't get your hopes up too high about finding out in April. We'll just have to wait and see I guess!
(edited 12 years ago)

They are giving out conflicting messages, we were told at our RC this week that we would hear back in the middle of April and that you would be located near where you live. Wish they ensured that the same message was being communicated.
I remember them explicitly stating at the AC that they would only hire people who had met a required standard. Furthermore, they explained that the reason why we wouldn't hear back until May was because they intended to provide everyone with detailed feedback on how they had performed in each exercise.

However, if as has been stated earlier the assessors had to mark every exercise on the day, i'm slightly confused as to why they don't get back to people who haven't met the standard they're looking for until May. Personally i'd rather find out sooner if I clearly have no chance of getting an offer, and i'd have no issue with waiting until May in order to see the feedback for my performance in each exercise.
Original post by rockinrobin

They are giving out conflicting messages, we were told at our RC this week that we would hear back in the middle of April and that you would be located near where you live. Wish they ensured that the same message was being communicated.

I wish that were true but it's definitely not the case. At the final AC he went through the process in a very detailed manner. And he did say in April we get to submit out choice of locations. After that they rank the candidates in order and those that performed best get first choice.

If I am lucky enough to get an offer, I'm not sure how willing I'd be to accept it if it's in a location I'm not keen on....anyone else feel the same? Would be mad to turn an offer down though especially in the current climate but location is a big draw for me
Reply 491
Original post by The Banker
I wish that were true but it's definitely not the case.

I am not sure any of us can say that it's 'definitely' anything, because we've all been told different things - you don't know that the centre manager at your AC has better or more up to date knowledge than the person at someone else's RC. I was told the same as you, but others have said they were told it'll be near to where you live, and several people have been told that they will find out in April, whereas others like me were told 11 may or later.... I guess we will just have to wait and see to find out for sure! I wouldn't be that surprised if they just haven't organised it yet..

I personally hope that you do get to submit preferences. Probably thinking a bit far ahead as I probs haven't got through, but I would love to move back up north, and I live in London currently.

If I am lucky enough to get an offer, I'm not sure how willing I'd be to accept it if it's in a location I'm not keen on....anyone else feel the same? Would be mad to turn an offer down though especially in the current climate but location is a big draw for me

Location is important to me too, there are quite a few places where I'd definitely have to think twice. However there are several I'd be really happy with (Liverpool, Bootle, Warrington, Manchester) so hopefully I'd be able to go somewhere I'd like.
(edited 12 years ago)
This whole location thing seems crazy, alot of people are going to want to work in London, because it's London and the pay. So if the rank than give location on that ranking that could push those who live in London out of a job or somewhere else, without the financial help of relocation
Thats if it works like that
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by monkeyl
I am not sure any of us can say that it's 'definitely' anything, because we've all been told different things - you don't know that the centre manager at your AC has better or more up to date knowledge than the person at someone else's RC. I was told the same as you, but others have said they were told it'll be near to where you live, and several people have been told that they will find out in April, whereas others like me were told 11 may or later.... I guess we will just have to wait and see to find out for sure! I wouldn't be that surprised if they just haven't organised it yet..

I personally hope that you do get to submit preferences. Probably thinking a bit far ahead as I probs haven't got through, but I would love to move back up north, and I live in London currently.

Location is important to me too, there are quite a few places where I'd definitely have to think twice. However there are several I'd be really happy with (Liverpool, Bootle, Warrington, Manchester) so hopefully I'd be able to go somewhere I'd like.

Yes but the guy I quoted said he heard the info at a RAC and not the final AC. I'm guessing the final AC will be more legit.

Yeah there are several locations I wouldn't mind working at. If I get my first pick I'll sign immediately. But I'm sure my first pick is the same as everyone else's. Still got over 2 months to go. Best not think about it too much and soldier on.
Original post by rockinrobin

Woops - meant AC, not RC ! The guy at the AC said he phoned to check when we would hear back and was advised middle of April.
Like The Banker says best to try and forget, we will all find out in due course.
Original post by Pedro77
I attended the one day Assessment Centre in Coventry last week, very intense day and there is very little you can do to prepare for it. The email outlining the program of exercises is fairly accurate. At the assessment we were told the following:

The project management exercise from the Regional assessment would be used as part of our overall score along with the exercises at the one day Assessment Centre. All exercises at the one day Assessment Centre (and including the previous project management exercise) will be scored before the assessors would leave the centre on each given day. We were told that ours was the second week of testing and that they would continue until the end of March. We were advised that we would know the outcome around the second or third week of April (there goes relaxing over the Easter hols!!!) as to whether we were successful or not.

We were also informed that there were approx 9000 candidates who had applied and that approx 800 will be attending the Assessment Centres. As of last week they were intending to recruit approx 200 (however there didn't seem to be a confirmation of the exact amount). Out of the 200, the candidate who scored best would effectively have their first choice of location, it seemed that they will then go down the list from the highest scoring candidate and offer them their choice of remaining locations. So, if you were number 200, you would most likely have to accept the last location available. That would seem to be the case by what we were told.

Anyway, good luck to all who have yet to attend or are waiting to find out if they are to attend.

Well done for getting to an assessment day then.... Quite good odds if you do get that far really.

I once went on a similar thing.... 5000 applicants for 4 positions and a two day assessment followed by interview. You're right that there is really no way to prepare for it. I spent both days with a pounding stress headache!

In one sense though I like this kind of process because you get to be yourself and so if they don't like you then you probably wouldn't have liked working for them either! If they do accept you then you pretty much know that you are going to fit the job.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The Banker
I wish that were true but it's definitely not the case. At the final AC he went through the process in a very detailed manner. And he did say in April we get to submit out choice of locations. After that they rank the candidates in order and those that performed best get first choice.

I was in a similar situation once (not for the Civil Service) and when they rang up and said I would be going to Belfast I literally burst into tears. (I'd wanted Bristol)!!! Shamed.

Actually Belfast was great and I had a fantastic time there so think carefully before turning something down just because of location unless you have children or other things to consider.

:smile: Good luck with deciding!
(edited 12 years ago)
i got my AC on the 16th, anyone else on the same day?
Also to people who already been, is there free parking available? Thinking of driving up there.
Original post by Dare to dream
i got my AC on the 16th, anyone else on the same day?
Also to people who already been, is there free parking available? Thinking of driving up there.

Yep there is free parking I drove and had no issues... Good Luck!!
Reply 499
Just wrt what a few people have said about location, I was under the impression from what our main assessor said and from other posts I've read I think, that everyone will be asked to list their order of location preference whether they have got through or not. I think this email will be sent in April, so I'm guessing at that point they won't have made 100% decisions on people, and maybe location choice may sway whether someone gets a job or not?? Or, like some others have suggested, it may be to give first choice to the people they are keenest to keep hold of, and for people who pass the grade, but not as highly, they get 2nd and 3rd dibs accordingly. Hmmmm, guess we will all have to keep guessing tho!

Just for anyone who has got their AC coming up, the facilities really are great and there is more than adequate free parking if you are thinking of driving. The only thing I would warn about driving though, is that because the day finishes around 4.30, you hit rush hour traffic immediately and it really is quite busy around there, so don't plan a particular time to get home!

Good luck to anyone who still has their AC to come!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending