The Student Room Group

DELETE

delete
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I met a couple of career politicians while I was running for council, they are some of the most egotistical nasty self centred people you could wish to meet, and they were on the same side as me as well as the other side.

Although I am sure you are not currently like that, be very wary that that is what you might become!
Reply 2
Original post by orangeboy
Definitely know what you mean mate but I can not see myself like that, I really dislike them!

Would you label someone as a career politician if they went through the academic route as above, then into politics?

Yeah, isn't that basially what a career politician is? Haha.

I will probably go into politics, but only once I've had a job for a while.
Reply 3
You will lose your soul if you go into politics. Be prepared for that.
Reply 4
As you say, you're not going to be a career politician...so I don't think doing this course would make people label you one. It looks like a really cool course actually. I might apply for it!
Do you want to be an MP? That's not very clear from your post.

Anyway, I did the undergrad version of that course, and I've found that it has really opened doors for me in terms of internships and jobs. Having the knowledge, experience and connections of Parliament really helps.
I can only say maybe. I do not know, I have worked with an MP (in attempting to get them elected (and succeeded) so i know how difficult it is but at the moment, I am undecided.

This sounds good, I assumed you have graduated now?

What are your career plans? Did you want to be an MP at the start of the course and do you still want to? Are you sticking to politics in terms of careers?

Thank you.

I've never wanted to be an MP, and I still don't! I think it would be interesting but I'm not sure that it's worth it, or that I have sufficient dedication to getting elected.

I was at Leeds 2004-2008, and did my MPhil at Oxford after that. I currently work for an MP in the House of Commons. I intend to stay in the political arena - I'd like to do political research/think tank type work I think.
I hate the term 'career politician' and there are far too many examples of this in Parliament today in my view and I think this course could somewhat perpetuate this view :http://www.polis.leeds.ac.uk/postgraduates/taught-postgraduates/ma-politics/ma-politics-parliamentary.php. I would hate to be labelled a 'career politician' because I studied it at A level, undergraduate and at masters level, plus played a role in party political politics. However, I have had a life outside politics. I am only 22 but my life experiences are completely different to say Ed Miliband, who I would label a career politician. I suppose what I am asking is, would being called a 'career politician' put you off applying to this course?

Please explain how you are different from Ed Miliband. How can you make that assertion when you haven't finished education yet, especially when your work experience so far is political?

It isn't your education that turns you into a career politician, its your career. If you want to go into a political job (think-tank, working for parliament or something similar) and later plan to become an MP, then you are definitely a career politician. If you work in business or in a profession and don't do politics as your job until you are at least in your late 30s, then you are not a career politician.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending