The Student Room Group

Difference between a desmosome and adherens junctions?

Can someone please explain to me the difference between these 2 intercellular junctions? The internet isn't helping much, it's confusing..

Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone...?
Reply 2
:yawn: ... :sigh:
I haven't done this in a while. BUT... I think desmosomes are impermeable, and adherens aren't? I'll have a proper look for you.
Reply 4
Original post by linkdapink
I haven't done this in a while. BUT... I think desmosomes are impermeable, and adherens aren't? I'll have a proper look for you.

:adore::adore::adore:
thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! I've been waiting a while and i've got an exam on Monday!
Original post by ash92:)
Can someone please explain to me the difference between these 2 intercellular junctions? The internet isn't helping much, it's confusing..

Thanks

Found this and it might be of some help :smile: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091023150504AAFScJI
Reply 6
Original post by JumpingJonny

thanks mate but i've already seen it. there's not really a clearly stated difference...
thanks mate but i've already seen it. there's not really a clearly stated difference...

Have you looked at the pictures on wikipedia etc to see the structural differences? Also which books do you have that you could use? Do you have either of "Molecular Biology of the Cell - Lodish et al" or "The Cell - Alberts et al" as both have pretty good bits in them that are relevant
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Have you looked at the pictures on wikipedia etc to see the structural differences? Also which books do you have that you could use? Do you have either of "Molecular Biology of the Cell - Lodish et al" or "The Cell - Alberts et al" as both have pretty good pits in them that are relevant.

i've got a Martini and Nath anatomy and physiology book, but it doesn't speak of adherens junctions. from the wiki diagrams, it seems that adherens junctions are like demosomes, but are connections between the adhesion belts of adjacent cells. is that correct?
Reply 9
made up of different proteins (google for specifics) and desmosomes attach to intermediate filaments while adherens attach to actin filaments within the cell.

desmosomes better suited to skin as involve keratin and are very resistive to sheer/stretch forces. Both attach cells to the basal lamina and to each other though and both join epithelial cells together. Adherens also join muscle cells together (for instance in the heart) desmosomes do not.

VERY VERY important. (well in later years of uni) adherens are very much involved in cell - cell communication. as a med biologist you will cover it in more detail next year.
i've got a Martini and Nath anatomy and physiology book, but it doesn't speak of adherens junctions. from the wiki diagrams, it seems that adherens junctions are like demosomes, but are connections between the adhesion belts of adjacent cells. is that correct?

I think so, as far as I understand it they perform a very similar role with the differences mainly being in structure and the locations in which they are found; with desmosomes being found in larger intracellular gaps and adherens at more basal juntions. Im not sure if that really helps, but they are both complex and are making my head hurt :colondollar:
Original post by Pheonixx
made up of different proteins (google for specifics) and desmosomes attach to intermediate filaments while adherens attach to actin filaments within the cell.

desmosomes better suited to skin as involve keratin and are very resistive to sheer/stretch forces. Both attach cells to the basal lamina and to each other though and both join epithelial cells together. Adherens also join muscle cells together (for instance in the heart) desmosomes do not.

VERY VERY important. (well in later years of uni) adherens are very much involved in cell - cell communication. as a med biologist you will cover it in more detail next year.

This is so much better than my vague not very useful answer :P
Reply 12
Do you want me to scan my albert's molecular biology of the cell pages on to tsr? (Its the God book of molecular cell biology)
Reply 13
This is so much better than my vague not very useful answer :P

thanks buddy.

Original post by Pheonixx
Do you want me to scan my albert's molecular biology of the cell pages on to tsr? (Its the God book of molecular cell biology)

thanks a lot Pheonixx. it would be great if you would :biggrin: are adherens junctions not just between adherens belts of adjacent cells? btw, thanks for pointing out the cytoskeletal attachment difference :wink:
Reply 14
Hi

I covered this for my 2nd year exams at Bham Uni last summer, but cant remember the answer of the top of my head, however a really good book for this is

Molecular biology of the cell, by Alberts et al. 4th or 5th edition

I used this book for revision and it is really good, it was recommended by my cell biology lecturer

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ambersa
Hi

I covered this for my 2nd year exams at Bham Uni last summer, but cant remember the answer of the top of my head, however a really good book for this is

Molecular biology of the cell, by Alberts et al. 4th or 5th edition

I used this book for revision and it is really good, it was recommended by my cell biology lecturer

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks, i'm waiting for Phoenixx to scan it and put it up on tsr..
adherens allow communication, desmosomes/hemidesmosomes serve for support and stuff.
Reply 17
Original post by Hippysnake
adherens allow communication, desmosomes/hemidesmosomes serve for support and stuff.

thanks. and are adherens junctions just found at the adherens belts of adjacent cells?
Reply 18
thanks buddy.

thanks a lot Pheonixx. it would be great if you would :biggrin: are adherens junctions not just between adherens belts of adjacent cells? btw, thanks for pointing out the cytoskeletal attachment difference :wink:

Yes they are, my memory is a bit fuzzy, sorry. Also desmosomes are found in muscle cells but they don't attach keratin, instead they attach to desmin filaments. (from the Albert's book).

so adherens basically mediate coordination and contact-communication of cells via actin filaments and desmosomes mainly provide mechanical strength. plentyfull in epithelial and
Reply 19
one more scan :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending