The Student Room Group

BUSS 1 AS EXAM 10th JAN 2011

Heyy I'm doing the buss 1 exam on monday and I was just wondering if anyone thinks they have some rough idea as to what may be on it?
Has anyone like worked a pattern out from previous papers as to what may be on this one on monday?
If so, please leave details below :wink:
Thankss xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
O.O I'm trying to find the June 2009 Paper
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by chanelkaur
Heyy I'm doing the buss 1 exam on monday and I was just wondering if anyone thinks they have some rough idea as to what may be on it?
Has anyone like worked a pattern out from previous papers as to what may be on this one on monday?
Thankss xxx

Hey

I dont think it will be a break even chart, seeing as it was in june 2010 btw :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dhtd20
Hey

I dont think it will be a break even chart, seeing as it was in june 2010 btw :smile:

By any chance do you know what else came up in June?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by jdh12345
By any chance do you know what else came up in June?

Thanks

I cant remember much, but i think sampling came up as well.
Reply 5
As far as i can remember the first question was to define infer structure and quota sampling on june 10
Reply 6
Are there any model answers to previous past papers anywhere?
i need to read some to find out how to get more analysis marks on the questions
Reply 7
Original post by spudy12

Original post by spudy12
Are there any model answers to previous past papers anywhere?
i need to read some to find out how to get more analysis marks on the questions

every past paper on buss 1 is on the aqa website just print them off :smile:
Reply 8
Everything that has been on a Buss1 paper is on here, plus the year it was in it
http://tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/aqa-as-business-buss1-exam-topic-tracker/
Original post by chanelkaur
Thankss xxx

Hey, a bit late notice, but definition for oppurtunity cost should come up, erm i think one of the longer questions will be on entrepreneurs, maybe characteristcs? and cash flows maybe, or possibly budgets..hopefully not breakeven though because that came up in June 2010..i hate that!
I'm doing it tomorrow too, let me know if this helps youu :smile: xx
Original post by Princess Poonam
Hey, a bit late notice, but definition for oppurtunity cost should come up, erm i think one of the longer questions will be on entrepreneurs, maybe characteristcs? and cash flows maybe, or possibly budgets..hopefully not breakeven though because that came up in June 2010..i hate that!
I'm doing it tomorrow too, let me know if this helps youu :smile: xx

AHHH no not budgets!
i'm terrible at budgets and that came up not too long ago i think well in june 2009
im terrified i just did 2 past papers and got a B on one and C on another :/
Original post by Saf94
Everything that has been on a Buss1 paper is on here, plus the year it was in it
http://tutor2u.net/blog/index.php/business-studies/comments/aqa-as-business-buss1-exam-topic-tracker/

Thanks
I think transformation process will come up as that hasnt come up at all yet
Also business plans hasn't come up yet
Calculating profit cost and revenues hasn't come up
Hmm what about the transformation process?
AFAIK a question on "adding value" came up (Jan 09 I think).

Original post by Bubbles0ox
I think transformation process will come up as that hasnt come up at all yet
Also business plans hasn't come up yet
Calculating profit cost and revenues hasn't come up
Original post by PickledSausages
Hmm what about the transformation process?
AFAIK a question on "adding value" came up (Jan 09 I think).

Hmm i have no idea
but question on transformation process in my revision guide says:
Prawnfree ltd make salmon fishcakes. Analyse the effect that a drop in salmon supplies might have on their suppy chain

would have no idea how to answer that
As the price of salmon drops, the costs of production reduce as salmon is one of the materials used in fishcakes. This means that profit margins increase and also contribution per unit increases. This means that the amount of units needed to break even will be much lower than the previous amount therefore putting less pressure on the business.

There's no application in the above as I have no case study. But something like that. Good luck for tomorrow by the way.

EDIT: If you don't mind could you tell me what you think of the answers I gave here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1512465
I don't know how hot my examining techniques are and I think I'm being too generous.
Cheers
(edited 13 years ago)
As the price of salmon drops, the costs of production reduce as salmon is one of the materials used in fishcakes. This means that profit margins increase and also contribution per unit increases. This means that the amount of units needed to break even will be much lower than the previous amount therefore putting less pressure on the business.

There's no application in the above as I have no case study. But something like that. Good luck for tomorrow by the way.

EDIT: If you don't mind could you tell me what you think of the answers I gave here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1512465
I don't know how hot my examining techniques are and I think I'm being too generous.
Cheers

you seem quite smart dude :smile: can u explain to me what total contribution actually is?

Cheers

Yeah thats what i thought but wouldnt the price increase if there was less salmon about, due to more competition?
I thought maybe then the quality of the fish cakes would decrease because there would either be less salom in them or the salmon would be replaced by something else therefore effecting demand?
Or the price of salmon would go up so the price of the fish cakes would go up which would effect demand?
I guess it depend on what the non existent case study would say right?
its like a 10 mark question though with no case study. I've just sorta ignored the question as there would be a case study to get more information from.
and yeah we can't apply it really?
I guess it could essentially destroy the company especially if there was a lot of competitors?

Was just about to attempt to mark those questions and i realised i havent done that paper just so im gunna do the paper first :biggrin:

and good luck too :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Is budgeting not in buss2? How much of budgeting do we need to know for buss1?

Also for that question a minute ago I think you might need to assume that the price of Salmon rises due to the reduction in supply therefore having an effect on the transformation process, reducing contribution and therefore reducing the Value that can be added by the firm. (Thats how I read it anyway)
Oh yeah, i misinterpreted the question. I thought it said the price of salmon went down.

Economics 101, as supply decreases, price increases - you were right.

So it would be something like:

As there is less salmon in the economy, resources are scarce and supply would exceed demand. This means that there is excess demand and salmon suppliers will be incentivised to increase their prices. This means profit margins decrease and more units are needed to break even (i.e. the opposite of what i said happens). This means there is more pressure on the business and forecasts/budgets may have to be adjusted in order to be accurate.

But yeah, that's more of an economics question and I don't know why they've put that in a business book. I even looked at the specification and you don't need to know that much about supply and demand just the effects of increasing and decreasing S/D. And a case study would definitely help lol.

S goes up, resources are cheaper.
S goes down, resources cost more.
D goes up, resource cost more.
D goes down, resources cost less.

Just remember that ^^

Thanks for taking a look at the questions. I'll be up for a while so we can help each other out :smile:

PS: I got a feeling sampling is gonna come up - check out Quota, Random and Stratified just in case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending