Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best All-round Anti-Virus for PC

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my PC's been without any form of protection since Spring last year, and its performance is becoming noticeably compromised. I've just never had the money - despite the actual affordability of anti-virus software - to buy one. Last I had was Kaspersky and I never really noticed it doing much.

I'm looking for one that will scan and destroy any viruses currently on my computer, and protect completely from future ones. I'm totally ignorant here and would appreciate advice/recommendations.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is all you should need, to be honest.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Hi, my PC's been without any form of protection since Spring last year, and its performance is becoming noticeably compromised. I've just never had the money - despite the actual affordability of anti-virus software - to buy one. Last I had was Kaspersky and I never really noticed it doing much.

I'm looking for one that will scan and destroy any viruses currently on my computer, and protect completely from future ones. I'm totally ignorant here and would appreciate advice/recommendations.
    What do you mean?

Also, you don't need to pay for a decent anti-virus. Use Avast/AVG/Avira. They're all free and won't slow down your computer by bogging it down with crappy background processes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    What do you mean?

Also, you don't need to pay for a decent anti-virus. Use Avast/AVG/Avira. They're all free and won't slow down your computer by bogging it down with crappy background processes.
    Well I've this computer since 2007 and when it's been completely debugged, defragmented and everything performance i.e speed it takes for pages to open (it's how I generally test things) and how long it takes to shut down/turn on etc is becoming increasingly sluggish. I did have AVG once but it was diabolical. Turned out it was an actual Virus in itself and made things worse. I basically just want something that's going to completely 'renovate' for want of a better word, my computer and get it squeaky clean and pristine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I've this computer since 2007 and when it's been completely debugged, defragmented and everything performance i.e speed it takes for pages to open (it's how I generally test things) and how long it takes to shut down/turn on etc is becoming increasingly sluggish. I did have AVG once but it was diabolical. Turned out it was an actual Virus in itself and made things worse. I basically just want something that's going to completely 'renovate' for want of a better word, my computer and get it squeaky clean and pristine.
    You didnt have the proper AVG then, for a free antivirus its very good but if you want to spend some money i recommend nod32, ive had it for nearly 3 years now and i find it fantastic, ive never had any problems, when my sister downloaded a virus it managed to clean it up very quickly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Microsoft Security Essentials is all you should need, to be honest.
    (Original post by Ruthi-SH)
    You didnt have the proper AVG then, for a free antivirus its very good but if you want to spend some money i recommend nod32, ive had it for nearly 3 years now and i find it fantastic, ive never had any problems, when my sister downloaded a virus it managed to clean it up very quickly.
    I've just downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials. Is it comprehensive or is with worth also buying one?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    MSE is all you should really need. AVG is the best free software out there for security. You just downloaded a virus because you were conned/silly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    MSE is all you should really need. AVG is the best free software out there for security. You just downloaded a virus because you were conned/silly.
    Yeah, actually my dad did it, so he was silly
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Debugged and defragmented? Debugged? I question how much have actually done. Do you use CCleaner? Do you use adaware? Did you just run the windows defragmental tool and assume that would magically clean your computer up, super quick? The more **** you install and download the slower it will become. If you want the performance you had when you bought it, do a reformat or learn how to use a computer properly.

You measure your computers performance on how fast you can load a web page? An action that is primarily determined by your connection speed and has very little to do with your actual computers performance?

I bet you have loads of ****ty tool bars involved like yahoo/google/amazon/crap etc installed. Your computer is probably stacked to the roof with adware.

You were/Dad was stupid enough to download a virus himself and now you are even more stupid to blame the program? It doesn't get more ignorant than this.

You want something to completely "renovate" your computer? Go take some computing classes and stop being IT illiterate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Debugged and defragmented? Debugged? I question how much have actually done. Do you use CCleaner? Do you use adaware? Did you just run the windows defragmental tool and assume that would magically clean your computer up, super quick? The more **** you install and download the slower it will become. If you want the performance you had when you bought it, do a reformat or learn how to use a computer properly.

You measure your computers performance on how fast you can load a web page? An action that is primarily determined by your connection speed and has very little to do with your actual computers performance?

I bet you have loads of ****ty tool bars involved like yahoo/google/amazon/crap etc installed. Your computer is probably stacked to the roof with adware.

You were/Dad was stupid enough to download a virus himself and now you are even more stupid to blame the program? It doesn't get more ignorant than this.

You want something to completely "renovate" your computer? Go take some computing classes and stop being IT illiterate.
    I think someone needs to go for a walk and calm down! I said in the OP I am completely ignorant. No, I don't just measure by how long it takes for pages to load, but I don't use this for gaming or anything else other than the internet and typing/MS.

I had Norton and Kasperksy stuff on here that got rid of, and protected against, viruses but have been without this since last Spring after having to re-install windows. Never got round to getting a new one so am asking now what the best all-round thing is to use on it.

I think you need to stop being so presumptuous and assuming some sort of high ground; not all of us have lives that revolve around how technologically advanced our computers are. Christ.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials. Is it comprehensive or is with worth also buying one?
    Never put more than one antivirus on the same computer. Generally a pretty poor idea.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    MSE will be enough.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2011.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you with Barclays Bank? If you are they have a great offer going which I've taken advantage of, which is Kasperky Internet Security for 1 year for up to three computers.

Even if you don't have a Barclays Bank Account but you know someone who does, ask them to give you the activation code that Kasperky sends them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best virus protection?

Don't use windows.

Anyway, you can't "completely protect" a machine from infections. My favourite (albeit, the only I ever used) virus+spyware protection for windows was AVG free + Spybot S&D (both completely free )
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwright91)
    Best virus protection?

Don't use windows.
    Very true.

However, that doesn't mean other operating systems are more "secure" than Windows.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft Security Essentials is very good and free.

I used to use AVG and avast but now I find MSE does everything just as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Very true.

However, that doesn't mean other operating systems are more "secure" than Windows.
    Of course not, I was only talking about general internet virus protection.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend using no anti-virus software if you feel confident when using the internet, i.e. you do not download random files etc

If you are not confident or have family members who also use the same machine then I would suggest that you download and use "Avast" it is free and can be downloaded at www.filehippo.com

On that website you should also download CCleaner and Spybot Search and Destroy. Both are really great tools to help your machine stay in good shape

Hope I was of some help ^_^
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my experience the best anti virus software which I have owned:

- Nod 32
    - Kaspersky.

You pay for it, but it's very good. Doesn't slow down the computer at all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 12, 2011
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.