The Student Room Group

Big Mistake

Hi everyone,

Im studying at manchester met at the moment and I think I made a massive mistake by going to university. I didn't get the grades I wanted and ended up going through clearing to somewhere I didn't really want to and now I really wish I took a year out to rethink things, but at the time that was the last thing I wanted to do. Now the regret is killing me and I dont know what to do. I want to finish this year and then go back home for a year with family to think over things, which is in Germany and I miss them lots, and then go to uni the year after again starting fresh. I just feel like I will have wasted so much time (2 years) and money, but I am so unhappy. Do you guys think I should do that or is it a waste of time? I don't want to feel like a failure but I don't want to be in this place for 3 more years!

Thanks guys x
Reply 1
What course are you taking?
Reply 2
take a course in making a time machine.
then you can go back in time and rethink your decision.
but if you do that, you never would have made the time machine.
weird...
Reply 3
I think you've got to decide what it is you would do instead. I know you say you would like to go home for a year, but what would you do when you got there? Take up a job? Go back to school? Resit some exams and reapply??
Before you jump into a decision because you're emotions are so strong, just try and think out an action plan so if someone ass you what will you do, you actually have a viable answer.

Out of interest, what is it you don't like about where you are? Is it the course, Uni or even Manchester itself. (Because trust me, I don't particularly like Manchester as times, hence why I've not applied there)
Reply 4
Good advice from Helsy
Reply 5
Original post by noodlecup93
What course are you taking?

I'm taking Marketing, the teaching isn't great and I haven't found many friends on my course.
Reply 6
Original post by Helsy
I think you've got to decide what it is you would do instead. I know you say you would like to go home for a year, but what would you do when you got there? Take up a job? Go back to school? Resit some exams and reapply??
Before you jump into a decision because you're emotions are so strong, just try and think out an action plan so if someone ass you what will you do, you actually have a viable answer.

Out of interest, what is it you don't like about where you are? Is it the course, Uni or even Manchester itself. (Because trust me, I don't particularly like Manchester as times, hence why I've not applied there)

Well I applied for business first of all through UCAS and then when I didn't get in to unis I rethought it and decided to get into marketing through clearing but now I think international business would suit me better. It's mainly a mixture of things I live in private halls which I hate, so I haven't met many friends, I'm not too keen on manchester as a city, I think a smaller place like York would be much better for me, I'm homesick but that's only because I don't have many friends so I fall back on my parents.
You are so right though, if I took a year out I would have to do something and I wish that i took this year out, retook a few exams, took the time to visit some unis and travelled a bit more round europe, but now if I took a gap year I feel like I've forgotten a lot of stuff from school so retaking would be harder and I can't really work in Germany because I'm not fluent in German so it would basically be a year to rethink what I want in life, take some time out and maybe resit exams but getting a job would be near to impossible which is why I think it may look bad but I really hate it here. I'm applying for transfers to other unis but that is all rushed and last minute and I just feel like I need time to think.
I really should have taken a year out but I can't change that now and I don't want to regret anything else. right now my heart tells me to finish this year so i dont waste money and then either take a year out or transfer somewhere else. I'm so depressed I don't think I could stand another 3 years where I am now. thanks so much for your reply x
Original post by Kelly282828
Hi everyone,

Im studying at manchester met at the moment and I think I made a massive mistake by going to university. I didn't get the grades I wanted and ended up going through clearing to somewhere I didn't really want to and now I really wish I took a year out to rethink things, but at the time that was the last thing I wanted to do. Now the regret is killing me and I dont know what to do. I want to finish this year and then go back home for a year with family to think over things, which is in Germany and I miss them lots, and then go to uni the year after again starting fresh. I just feel like I will have wasted so much time (2 years) and money, but I am so unhappy. Do you guys think I should do that or is it a waste of time? I don't want to feel like a failure but I don't want to be in this place for 3 more years!

Thanks guys x

Work hard, get a high average then attempt to transfer to a better institution. Universities want some kind of evidence that you are capable of excelling through their institution, whether this proof is in the form of A levels, GCSEs or a high first year average does not matter.

Good luck.
I realised your big mistake as soon as I read "I'm studying at manchester met".
Reply 9
Original post by Kelly282828
Well I applied for business first of all through UCAS and then when I didn't get in to unis I rethought it and decided to get into marketing through clearing but now I think international business would suit me better. It's mainly a mixture of things I live in private halls which I hate, so I haven't met many friends, I'm not too keen on manchester as a city, I think a smaller place like York would be much better for me, I'm homesick but that's only because I don't have many friends so I fall back on my parents.
You are so right though, if I took a year out I would have to do something and I wish that i took this year out, retook a few exams, took the time to visit some unis and travelled a bit more round europe, but now if I took a gap year I feel like I've forgotten a lot of stuff from school so retaking would be harder and I can't really work in Germany because I'm not fluent in German so it would basically be a year to rethink what I want in life, take some time out and maybe resit exams but getting a job would be near to impossible which is why I think it may look bad but I really hate it here. I'm applying for transfers to other unis but that is all rushed and last minute and I just feel like I need time to think.
I really should have taken a year out but I can't change that now and I don't want to regret anything else. right now my heart tells me to finish this year so i dont waste money and then either take a year out or transfer somewhere else. I'm so depressed I don't think I could stand another 3 years where I am now. thanks so much for your reply x

Well, maybe because of how you feel you should consider either a transfer to a different Uni or to actually take a gap year. It all really comes down to what you really want.
It sounds like you don't like the Uni, the city or really the course. Even if a year back home would be difficult language and intellect wise, it may be more bearable than another couple of years somewhere where you aren't happy. That way you have more chance of getting a better Uni and the degree you really want.
From what I can see, there are lots of Unis that offer the course you'd like to do and that are small places, including Scotland and Wales.
Remember, ultimately it's all your decision. But maybe chat to your parents and ask their opinion, just so you get someone's opinion that you truly trust.

I hope it all works out for you. :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks everyone, I've decided to apply for a transfer for 1st and 2nd year entry into other unis so I can start fresh :smile:
Don't waste a place by trying for York, if your grades were only good enough for Man Met you won't get into York, which is bigger than Man Met anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending