The Student Room Group

Would I get marks if I got the answer but used a different method from the mark schem

e... This is C1 OCR mathematics.
Reply 1
I am pretty sure that with the sciences the mark scheme specifies that basically "final answer = max marks"?
Reply 2
As long as you have shown all your working out and got the same answer as the mark scheme, I can't understand why you wouldn't get full marks for the question.. Remember to show working. It's so important because if you get the answer wrong, but your method & working is correct, you still get some marks for it. Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_08/ocr_16469_ms_08_l_gce_jan.pdf

Q3. I got the values of a,b and c, but i didnt expand it like they have I just did completing the square.
Reply 4
It depends on how the question is worded.

If it is a multi-part question, and one of the later parts says "hence show that...", then they will be expecting you to arrive at the answer using the conclusions of the previous part. There will almost certainly only be one way of doing this. If the later part says "hence or otherwise show that...", you can use amy method you like.

If it is an entire question that give you no indication how to go about it, and your method is different to the mark shceme, then so long as your method is valid (i.e. you haven't arrived at the right answer by coincidence), you should get all of the marks.
Reply 5
Well as long as what you have worked out is correct then yes. They usually have like 3 different methods shown in the mark scheme.
Reply 6
Original post by yaya1
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_08/ocr_16469_ms_08_l_gce_jan.pdf

Q3. I got the values of a,b and c, but i didnt expand it like they have I just did completing the square.

I don't see why you shouldn't get full marks for that (although your way requires more work!).
Reply 7
Oh gosh, Im scared.
Reply 8
Don't worry about, you'll be fine. No one fails C1, I'm sure you'll ace it! It's tomorrow right? Good luck!
Dam, forgot the exam was tomorrow...

...well, good luck guys :h:
For questions when they give you the answer and ask you to get to it using information given in the question, if ALL your working out is correct but you worked backwards i.e. from the answer given to the information given then it is marked as wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest