The Student Room Group

Please can someone calm me down, and I'll love you forever!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im sure a lot of people are on the same boat as you, so you dont need to worry its normal.

You will be fine o_o
Original post by too many legs.
I've got my first ever A-level exam on Tuesday, which is my AS Biology one. Then the next day I have psychology, then the next day I have chemistry. Problem is, I feel so sick right now at the thought of how important these exams are to me. I'm sat here condensing down my notes and doing past papers, but I still don't feel too confident. I need to calm down, and I want these next few days to be over and done with as fast as possible. I didn't ever think it would come to a point where I felt physically ill due to exam worries, but maybe that's because this is the first time I've ever been genuinely bothered about exams.
Is anyone on the same boat as me here?

Okay, firstly, hear this: The fact that you are nervous is good. It shows you care about your exams and you want to do well - you'll ultimately put more effort in. You'll be fine. Even if the worst happens, there's always retakes. Taking exams gets easier once you get used to them, don't worry :smile:

Before the exam, don't try and do any last minute revision and don't discuss topics with others. Instead, spend the last hour or so keeping yourself relaxed and calm. Try these exercises:

Breathing Exercise

Breathe in slowly and consistently through the nose for ten seconds. Hold for five. Release through the mouth slowly and consistently for ten seconds also. This has a soothing effect and slows your heartbeat to a natural rate if you're having a panic attack.

Muscle Relaxation

You know sometimes when you're stressed you get all tense? You might not even notice how tense you are. Start from the feet going up, taking time to deliberately tense up your muscles as hard as possible and holding for about ten seconds before releasing. Do it one muscle at a time, unless there are two muscles of the same thing - like, do both your calves together. This takes a long time, but it's really useful, particularly in bed the night before an exam.

Biting down on a pencil

Sometimes when you're stressed you can clench your jaw which only heightens stress and can give you headaches at your temples. Grabbing a pencil and biting really hard on it might look a bit funny, but is really good for a quick fix. Besides, in an exam, everyone else will be looking at their papers anyway!

But remember I'm no doctor, this is all stuff I got from an admittedly average cognitive therapist :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest