The Student Room Group

I want to take further maths, economics, physics and geography, am i crazy?

Hi im in year 11 at the moment and for college next year, i want to take :

further maths
geography
economics
physics

is this just going to be too much for me as i really want to get A* in further maths? :s-smilie:

a little information about me:
i done my maths early last year and i got an A* and i am currently doing AS maths (c1c2s1) i also did my physics last year and i achieved an A but i am retaking it this year to see if i can get A* :colondollar:

thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shay_foreva

Hi im in year 11 at the moment and for college next year, i want to take :

further maths
geography
economics
physics

is this just going to be too much for me as i really want to get A* in further maths? :s-smilie:

a little information about me:
i done my maths early last year and i got an A* and i am currently doing AS maths (c1c2s1) i also did my physics last year and i achieved an A but i am retaking it this year to see if i can get A* :colondollar:

thank you :smile:

Well you're not crazy - most of the people who do 6 AS-levels seem to be doing fine.

If you're currently doing AS Maths now, surely that means you're doing 4 AS levels + 1 A2, and with the Physics retake that makes 5 AS levels and 1 A2.

What do you intend to do at university?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
im only doing maths AS atm and studying for my gcses. :s

I want to do maths or economics in university :smile:
Reply 3
It doesn't sound crazy to me.. Why would it be crazy? However, I've got to warn you that some universities are not keen on A-levels taken over 3 years. Apart from that, it doesn't look like too much work. If you're a hard worker, then I think you can do it. Good luck with everything!
Original post by im so academic
Well you're not crazy - most people do 6 AS-levels and they seem to be doing fine.

Umm, most people do 4 or 5 actually?

OP, I did those exact ASs (I actually did History as well but even my Cambridge interviewers thought my subject choices were a bit crazy...) and got As in all of them. It depends on your natural aptitude for maths and how much work you're prepared to put in. If you are very, very good at maths then you should be able to get an A* in FM even with the workload of the other subjects.

And bear in mind you can always drop one after the first few weeks if you realise it's too much work.
Well you're not crazy - most people do 6 AS-levels and they seem to be doing fine.

If you're currently doing AS Maths now, surely that means you're doing 4 AS levels + 1 A2, and with the Physics retake that makes 5 AS levels and 1 A2.

Wrong. Most people take 4-5AS including general studies/citizenship etc etc.

:facepalm2:
Reply 7
Original post by xPixie
I've got to warn you that some universities are not keen on A-levels taken over 3 years.!

i'm only doing my AS maths this year because i finished my maths gcse, i will be doing the whole as maths again next year from scratch so does that still count as three years ? :s-smilie: or i could just not tell them that i did it before college as well ?
i'm only doing my AS maths this year because i finished my maths gcse, i will be doing the whole as maths again next year from scratch so does that still count as three years ? :s-smilie: or i could just not tell them that i did it before college as well ?

Are you actually sitting exams for your Maths AS this year?
Original post by Awesomesauce

Original post by Awesomesauce
Wrong. Most people take 4-5AS including general studies/citizenship etc etc.

I meant most of the people who do 6 AS levels do fine. :rolleyes: Innocent typographical error.
Original post by beautifuldisasters

OP, I did those exact ASs (I actually did History as well but even my Cambridge interviewers thought my subject choices were a bit crazy...) and got As in all of them. It depends on your natural aptitude for maths and how much work you're prepared to put in. If you are very, very good at maths then you should be able to get an A* in FM even with the workload of the other subjects.

And bear in mind you can always drop one after the first few weeks if you realise it's too much work.

Holy ****! You got an A in all of those subjects :eek: What are you planning on doing at uni?
Original post by Warrior078
Holy ****! You got an A in all of those subjects :eek: What are you planning on doing at uni?

Economics :biggrin:
Reply 12
Are you actually sitting exams for your Maths AS this year?

yes i've got C1 and C2 exam tomorow :s-smilie:

wow :O so physics and further maths, economics and geography wasn't too hard ? did you have to study "27/7" :P?
i've not heard of people doing 6 AS-levels! i went to a very good college, and they tried to tell me i wasn't allowed to do 5. not that i lsitened to that.

you sound like you're certainly capable of doing those!

i did A-levels: Physics, MAths, Geography, and i was fine, managed to get AAA :smile: (no A*s back then ;P)

if you REALLY want the highest grades, it may be better to maybe just take 3? but if you personally think you can handle 4, then go for it! geography isn't particularly taxing lol, and heard economics isn't too bad, but i wouldn't know haha, if you think you're up for it, go for it!!

ps. A level, did 5, Physics, Geography, Maths, Environmental Science, and French. there weren't enough periods in the day to do 6! lol, was working 15 hours a day as it was!
(edited 13 years ago)

Nice, might do the same as well. Why don't you do Maths and/or Economics? You are definitely capable.
Reply 15
Original post by CameraGirl
i've not heard of people doing 6 AS-levels! i went to a very good college, and they tried to tell me i wasn't allowed to do 5. not that i lsitened to that.

you sound like you're certainly capable of doing those!

i did A-levels: Physics, MAths, Geography, and i was fine, managed to get AAA :smile: (no A*s back then ;P)

if you REALLY want the highest grades, it may be better to maybe just take 3? but if you personally think you can handle 4, then go for it! geography isn't particularly taxing lol, and heard economics isn't too bad, but i wouldn't know haha, if you think you're up for it, go for it!!

ps. A level, did 5, Physics, Geography, Maths, Environmental Science, and French. there weren't enough periods in the day to do 6! lol, was working 15 hours a day as it was!

i really really enjoy geography and economics so that's why i'm taking those and i am predicted a* for my geography so not really worried about it in a levels, its just the physics that i'm thinking of not doing so i could concentrate better on further maths :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
i really really enjoy geography and economics so that's why i'm taking those and i am predicted a* for my geography so not really worried about it in a levels, its just the physics that i'm thinking of not doing so i could concentrate better on further maths :s-smilie:

not gonna lie, A-level physics was bloody difficult!! haha. i spent a while sitting in lessons not really knowing what my teacher was on about, but i buckled down and worked really hard because i knew how much I wanted that A! i wouldn't have got into uni otherwise, it really spurred me to do well. though i'm glad i didn't do 4, incase my grades slip and uni didnt really ask for 4, i kinda wish i'd carried on env sci. actually wish i'd never taken french and done photography instead but parents wouldnt let me :wink:

geography was probably my favourite too :smile: my 2500 word limit coursework turned into a 10,000 word project lol! it's a great subject :biggrin:

(AS physcis however, was absolutely great, i enjoyed every minute of it, and even contemplated doing a physics degree, it just gets a lot harder in 2nd year, so decided it wasn't waht i truly wanted to do at uni :smile:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by CameraGirl
not gonna lie, A-level physics was bloody difficult!! haha. i spent a while sitting in lessons not really knowing what my teacher was on about, but i buckled down and worked really hard because i knew how much I wanted that A! i wouldn't have got into uni otherwise, it really spurred me to do well. though i'm glad i didn't do 4, incase my grades slip and uni didnt really ask for 4, i kinda wish i'd carried on env sci. actually wish i'd never taken french and done photography instead but parents wouldnt let me :wink:

geography was probably my favourite too :smile: my 2500 word limit coursework turned into a 10,000 word project lol! it's a great subject :biggrin:

(AS physcis however, was absolutely great, i enjoyed every minute of it, and even contemplated doing a physics degree, it just gets a lot harder in 2nd year, so decided it wasn't waht i truly wanted to do at uni :smile:)

i'm french :P

hmm i think i'll take physics for AS then and continue geography, futher maths and economics :smile:
Reply 18

You must have worked like all the time :s-smilie:
i'm french :P

hmm i think i'll take physics for AS then and continue geography, futher maths and economics :smile:

nice haha :smile: it's a lovely language, and i was good at it, just didn't enjoy studing it :frown:

it's up to you really, a lot of people do find A level physics really hard though, understandably! i'm a real geography geek tbh (studying MMet Meteorology :smile:), though those subjects look great if you want to study economics at uni :biggrin: just do what you think is best, and what you enjoy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest