The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The most I've won is £5
My brother won a holiday on a scratch card. 5 star luxury too.
You all do realise that there are a set amount of prizes with scratchcards - it's even worse than lotto and euromillions.

If you go on the National Lottery website, you'll be able to see how many prizes are remaining for each type of scratchcard. Many weren't even on double figures - a number of them were about 3 or 4 - in the whole country. Imagine if those remaining prizes were somewhere in Scotland or the north of England and you were down in London playing, in the belief that you might win big - you by default definitely won't as the winning scratchcards would be miles away.

The scratchcards aren't random like the lotto or euromillions machine - an algorithm has been inputted to only make available a few prizes but to also (for example for the 'Match 3 to win') but to also make it look to the player as if they've nearly won (i.e. they've matched two). :rolleyes:

Scratchcards are even dumber than the random lotto or euromillions.
Reply 23
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
...and the lottery people are taking advantage of stastical probabilities (maybe even smart design software) to produce the cards/games.

There's no fooling you is there? :u:
Reply 24
My finaces mum won £75,000 on a scratch card last year but to be frank, like a lot of gamblers out there she has probably spent at least 3 times that amount in her lifetime to get that big win. Its clear she has issues as she is still buying about 150 scratch cards a week.
To be honest, it's something that is only worth doing (and even then it's arguable) if you have spare money about from a job. Otherwise chances are you'll lose and that you're wasting your time.
100x better then spending it on fags or drinking booze.

Though i dont do it myself, would rather have a punt on the horses, or roulette( but im up £10,000 from roulette, so of course id say that)
Reply 27
i spend a bit on scratch cards a week (£4) - won £50 then £10 the next day, had £40 before, the odd £10 and £5 often but compared to what i spend, no where near what i've won. its disposable money i have and it gives me a bit of excitement in life. its not like i buy 5 at a time trying to 'earn' money out of it, thats just stupid...

here are the odds + prizes for the bingo scratchcard came for example, interesting really
http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/gaming/iwg/gameProcedures.do?gameId=00000000000000003768&tryGameId=00000000000000003769&prefix=bingoseventyfivepink_&flashVersion=
Reply 28
Original post by MR1985
My finaces mum won £75,000 on a scratch card last year but to be frank, like a lot of gamblers out there she has probably spent at least 3 times that amount in her lifetime to get that big win. Its clear she has issues as she is still buying about 150 scratch cards a week.

Does she buy full rolls? I know a guy who used to (well, he may well still be at it to be fair) buy upto a couple of full rolls per week and he claims he has never won more than £200 off a single card.

I've bought a fair few scratchcards, normally only up to say a tenners worth in one go (apart from a couple of times when I went mad online and maxed that out doing the instant ones on there) and the most I have ever had off a single card is £100.
Reply 29
Original post by Jay84
Does she buy full rolls? I know a guy who used to (well, he may well still be at it to be fair) buy upto a couple of full rolls per week and he claims he has never won more than £200 off a single card.

I've bought a fair few scratchcards, normally only up to say a tenners worth in one go (apart from a couple of times when I went mad online and maxed that out doing the instant ones on there) and the most I have ever had off a single card is £100.

Im not entirely sure as we don't speak to her but members of the family have seen her at the supermarket since her 'big win' asking for a 100 scratch cards at a time and this has been witnessed several times. Its clearly an addiction, she got at least £100,000 when she divorced my fiances Dad years ago and blew the whole lot on gambling. Prior to that she blew thousands on bingo etc. So as much as she may feel like shes won big, in reality its a tiny amount compared to whats shes lost.

I did know someone who was desperate for a big win so blew about £200 on a full roll of scratchcards, only to have mostly £1 and £2 wins which came to a grand total of £35.
(edited 10 years ago)
Isn't the probably equal with the lottery i.e even though the prizes are less the odds are higher.
Reply 31
It's not a scratchcard, but my Uncle won around £8,000 a few years ago in the national lottery... and he was only really a casual player, buying a few pounds worth a week
My daughter who is a student won £70,000 last week on a lotto scratch card. I too always thought it was a big con!
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
How many people here, have personally won BIG or know someone who won big on a scratchcard? I mean more than £250 when I say big.

Scratchcards in general fail to convince me, I just think its a big con and the lottery people are taking advantage of stastical probabilities (maybe even smart design software) to produce the cards/games. I want to know if people out there have actually won big or if you personally know people who have. It might only cost a quid or two, but think about how many millions the lottery makes through naive punters across the country.

I have won £1000 from scratch cards and a friend of mine won a car. However.... great excitment is there is a new online business where for 30euro/£24 entry fee an online business where you can earn €22K a month tax free by playing five cards a month and introducing some friends to do the same.... I am loving this concept and if anyone wants to view the business model I am happy to share.

For student this can really assist with not having a mass debt after completing our studies!
I buy my lotto tickets online, and if I have a bit left on my balance (from a small win), I buy a £1 scratchcard, and unbelievably I won £100000 a few weeks ago. I actually sat for about 10 minutes before I pressed the finish button, cos I was in shock.
does the actually lottery count as i know michael carroll the lotto lout through my uncles he won just short of £10,000,000 and spent in on booze, drugs, jewellery, hookers, property and cars
Most I ever win is £20 but so Far I win more than I lose.

However one time I lost on a Scratchcard and When I was Ripping It, Some guy asked if I had won. Why would anyone Rip a winning scratchcard.
Yep I won £100,000 on an online lottery ticket . Only bought it because I’d won a fiver on the weekly lottery
Original post by Anonymous
I buy my lotto tickets online, and if I have a bit left on my balance (from a small win), I buy a £1 scratchcard, and unbelievably I won £100000 a few weeks ago. I actually sat for about 10 minutes before I pressed the finish button, cos I was in shock.

Ditto 😊😊😊