The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Chemical Engineering Offers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by chad_bro_chill
Well, the financial aspect of it really depends on where you are right now (and citizenship, in some cases). For you in Vancouver, of course McGill would be much cheaper. But for most people on this forum living in England, going to uni in Canada is a lot more expensive (though not quite as much as the US) than staying to study in the UK. The gap will probably get a lot tighter when those new tuition fees kick in for the 2012 entry year though (in the UK I mean).

The McGill campus is old (the university was founded in the 1820's) but for those of you interested in the chemical engineering program at McGill, the building housing the chem eng department was build in the late 1990s, so fairly new.

And I agree with Sydneysmith, U of T is probably the best in Canada for engineering, with UBC, McGill and Waterloo close behind (in no particular order).

Original post by sydneysmith
To actually answer your question, I personally would choose McGill, but only to save money.

Did you apply to U of T? That was my second choice. To me, is a better school for engineering than UCL plus you can save a lot of money (and then try applying to Imperial again for your masters).

Also, as much as people turn their nose up at it, Waterloo has a very good engineering department.

Original post by dsds1000
Hey I'm from Canada as well and I was thinking of applying to Mcgill for mechanical engineering, but decided not to. Honestly, I visited Mcgill two years ago, I didn't really like the campus. It is kind of old for my taste. However, overall it is good overall uni. But if I was choosing between UCL and Mcgill I would go with UCl, the reason behind this is McGill is more well known for liberal arts and social sciences, so I don't think going there for engineering would be a good idea. On the other hand UCL in my opinion is a better option for Chem Engineering because the program is shorter, just 3 years, and I heard the engineering there is pretty decent. I haven't seen the campus though. That's my take

thanks a lot guys, though the discussion hasn't helped me make up my mind, I can surely add some points to my pro/con table. Now that I just got an offer from Imperial, I will be pursuing Chemical Engineering there, unless I fail to meet my offer requirements. Choosing between UCL and McGill can wait, and really for me I think the only factor between them would be the employment prospects for an international student. Thanks again!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by homer6
thanks a lot guys, though the discussion hasn't helped me make up my mind, I can surely add some points to my pro/con table. Now that I just got an offer from Imperial, I will be pursuing Chemical Engineering there, unless I fail to meet my offer requirements. Choosing between UCL and McGill can wait, and really for me I think the only factor between them would be the employment prospects for an international student. Thanks again!

Congratulations on your offer!!! :smile: What are the conditions by the way?

If you really have to choose between UCL and McGill in the end, which I doubt so, go to UCL if you can afford it. The best way to avoid this is to study hard and get the grades :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by minefield
Congratulations on your offer!!! :smile: What are the conditions by the way?

If you really have to choose between UCL and McGill in the end, which I doubt so, go to UCL if you can afford it. The best way to avoid this is to study hard and get the grades :tongue:

Thaanks. My offer is 39 points in the IB with 7 in Math and Chem/Bio with 6 in Economics. Hope I can get that 7!

Congrats! See you there in October! (granted we both make our conditions...don't know about you, but i refuse to be beat by calculus)

Thanks, congrats on your offer too. Hope to see you there in October!
Reply 43
Hey I wanted to ask any of you if i'd have chances on getting any offers form imperial for chemical engineering next year (2011/2012) with these IB grades,

Maths HL 6
Physics HL 6
CHemistry HL 7
Geography SL 7
French SL 7
English SL 5

thanks alot
Reply 44
Original post by alexmsf
A coursemate of mine has an offer for Chem Eng.
39 IB Points and 7 in Maths HL (don't remember other conditions)

Hey for your 39 points does that include the bonus (EE and TOK) points?
also wanted to ask you, if you had to get a predicted 7 in MAths HL to get the offer? thanks!
Reply 45
Original post by CookieGhoul
As an international student, you were called for an interview by Imperial ? :eek:I doubt they ever interview international students outside the UK

hi i am a n international student too!!
however, i havent heard a thing from ICL for my application to the engineering course!
i am really worried !!
Do i still stand a chance??
who hasnt recieved anything yet(for chem engineering)
Reply 46
Original post by ssppppuer
hi i am a n international student too!!
however, i havent heard a thing from ICL for my application to the engineering course!
i am really worried !!
Do i still stand a chance??
who hasnt recieved anything yet(for chem engineering)

same here but i ve already got an offer from chemistry department. im just wondering is my wrong subject personal statement that make me receive no news from them...
Reply 47
Original post by Iamet
same here but i ve already got an offer from chemistry department. im just wondering is my wrong subject personal statement that make me receive no news from them...

OMG!!!!!!ME TOO!!!
i have gotten the offer from chem department two weeks after i submitted my app!! BUTTTTT.. for chem engineering...there is still no news.. now i start to wonder if they will ignore those application who have already gotten the offer from the other departments....
Reply 48
exactly same situation... did u mention more about chem eng or chem in ur ps?? where r u from?? anyway, when u really look through this thread u will find some people got their offer in march so no worries:smile: and at this moment no news is good news, at least both of us didnt get a direct rejection:smile: btw, any offer from elsewhere??
Original post by ssppppuer
OMG!!!!!!ME TOO!!!
i have gotten the offer from chem department two weeks after i submitted my app!! BUTTTTT.. for chem engineering...there is still no news.. now i start to wonder if they will ignore those application who have already gotten the offer from the other departments....
Reply 49
I'm an international student too but i study in the UK, applying for chem eng
Haven't heard anything at all since october.
apparently today is the last day of interviews and i have had nothing about interviews.

does no interview = rejection?

getting really stressed and worried.
anyone in the same situation?
mine was in march, and i got in. Ive been crushing pussy ever since
Reply 51
you mean your interview was held in march?? btw do u think they care about a wrong ps??
Original post by impussydestroyer
mine was in march, and i got in. Ive been crushing pussy ever since
Reply 52
Original post by Iamet
exactly same situation... did u mention more about chem eng or chem in ur ps?? where r u from?? anyway, when u really look through this thread u will find some people got their offer in march so no worries:smile: and at this moment no news is good news, at least both of us didnt get a direct rejection:smile: btw, any offer from elsewhere??

kay, i literally just put chem in my ps coz i didnt know what to say for engineering. Does the ps really matter that much??? btw i am from jp studied in sg for IB.
Reply 53
i really don't want to face two rejections (one already happened and is sitting there in ucas track)
am i making the wrong choices or aiming too high?
Hey guys! I applied about one and half months ago to Imperial but haven't heard back from them since. Might seem like a very short time but I think since I applied with all my results (I'm on my gap year) they should have responded quickly. Is anyone in the same situation I'm in? Also, my grades were fine with the exception of my chemistry grade. Is it compulsory to get an A* in chemistry if I've taken four subjects and did well in the other three?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 55
Hi. I am an international who was shortlisted for a chemical engineering course’s phone interview in March. I am really nervous about this and I have a few questions regarding the interview. As an international student I am worried about my English accent….will the teachers listen to me patiently? I understand they will ask you to draw graph or something if you’re having interview at imperial. But what kind of question can come out if it’s a phone interview?
I was waiting for this! I'm in the same situation you're in right now. The phone interview for chemical engineering, I mean. Did you get the email saying that you would receive the invitation on the 3rd? I wonder what kind of questions they'll ask. I've heard that it's just to verify certain things on your PS and a few general questions. Can anyone confirm this?

And about your accent, I doubt it'll be a big issue. I mean, as long as they can understand you, it should be fine. They're admission officers so I'm sure they'll be patient with you.
Reply 57
Yeah, I think accents might even help as they are showing diversity. I plan on applying next year for chemical engineering next year. But I feel it's very competitive! Is it really that hard to get in ? :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by xch
Hey I wanted to ask any of you if i'd have chances on getting any offers form imperial for chemical engineering next year (2011/2012) with these IB grades,

Maths HL 6
Physics HL 6
CHemistry HL 7
Geography SL 7
French SL 7
English SL 5

thanks alot

Your grades are fine, you might want to boost your maths up to a 7 though, since the course itself contains a LOT of maths :smile:
Original post by gaining
Yeah, I think accents might even help as they are showing diversity. I plan on applying next year for chemical engineering next year. But I feel it's very competitive! Is it really that hard to get in ? :smile:

Lol it doesn't work like that. They won't care about whether you have an accent or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending