The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Seriously, what is everyone's problem with private schools?

I go to a state school. I have no problems with private schools at all. You pay for a better education so you receive a better education. The school can afford better teachers so there are better teachers in private schools. It's like shopping in Tesco or Harrods; you get better quality if you have more money. People who condemn private schools are jealous because they do not receive the quality that private school students receive.

There's the argument about rich elitists being more educated, pushing the poorer down the educational scale, but it's a fact of life that more money gives you a better quality of life; education should not be excluded from this. Work hard in your A-levels and you can go anywhere you want; my state school sends at least 5 people to Oxbridge and 10 people to Imperial or UCL every year, and to be honest my school is just below average in standards for state schools.

Is it fair that those who can only afford to shop at Tesco get worse nutrition than those who can afford to shop at Harrords? No it's not, but would you make everyone who shops at Harrods shop at Tesco because some people can't afford to shop at Harrods? Wealth dictates everything in every country. Life isn't fair, deal with it.

Anyone with the money would jump at the chance to go a private school. Everyone who has a problem with independent schools is using reverse discrimination to try and convince themselves that because they do not have the money to go to an independent school, they are more 'real world' than those who are privately educated, which is completely untrue.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2

Most people on here are left-wing council estate retards. You have to expect them to be supremely jealous of anyone who can afford things like private schools.

Don't worry about the haterz.
No idea, I went to a private school :smile:

To the negs, I was on a bursary and I had to work hard to get there, see don't judge a book by it's cover :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
envy. no other reason lol.
Reply 5
I honestly think jealously comes down to it. People covert the things of other people, its human nature. I too, have no problem with private schools even though I don't attend one but I plan to work hard and hopefully if I have children and am sucessful I will get to send my children to one. You inherit your position in life by how well your parents/grand parents etc did, people should just get over it, we can't all be born with a silver spoon in our mouthes.
I think it's more that it's unfair, as poorer people who have potential will miss out on the better teaching to those who are richer and have the same level of potential. That's unjust..
Reply 7
No idea.
You bumped this crap after 5 mins?
Reply 9
I went to a private primary school - my problem is that they made me wear a boater (straw hat with ribbon) in summer and kilts (yes kilts!) in winter. This said, the colours went together.

I now go to a normal secondary school, and I would have to agree with past posts - the main reason is envy and people thinking there should be a level playing field.
Personally, I don't really have a problem.
Unfortunately there's a stigma attached to private school education. Many people will class those who have been educated privately, stuck up and posh.
Personally I have no problem with this, I know some people who have been educated like this, and they've turned out just fine. Their parents had the money so why can't they have the best?
Reply 11
Original post by charcharchar
I think it's more that it's unfair, as poorer people who have potential will miss out on the better teaching to those who are richer and have the same level of potential. That's unjust..

Blame your parents, not everyone else.
I just disagree with the principle of private schools all together. Tbh, I think they should be abolished. I don't think that it's fair that the standard of education that a child receives is dependent on the wealth of their parents: it just creates further class inequalities.
Plus, if every single child was made to attend state schools, I think standards would improve. People with the power and money who send their kids to private schools wouldn't stand for some of the stuff that goes in state education - it would force changes in state education. The motivation for improvement of state education doesn't exist to this extent, because the people with the power to change it don't have much incentive as they can just opt to send their children to private school.

I understand that many people will completely disagree with me, but I wanted to give you my perspective - despite it being somewhat radical. Tbh, it's only after studying education in sociology that I decided that I was against private education - knowing the facts just showed me how unfair it is.

EDIT: Thought I should add - I don't have anything against anyone who went to private school or who chooses to send their kids there. Some of the loveliest people I know went to private school
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I don't really have a problem with private schools.

I find it funny when people leave private schools with the same grades as those who have been through comprehensives, though.
Reply 14
Original post by charcharchar

Then the less well off should blame their parents for not working harder when they were young and not being born with a better lot in life. Why should it be the problem of the rich/ those who did work hard? They already pay enough in taxes to fund the state system while also paying private education for their own offspring and hence also reducing the strain on the state system. What more do people want, their blood?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by hattikins
I just disagree with the principle of private schools all together. Tbh, I think they should be abolished. I don't think that it's fair that the standard of education that a child receives is dependent on the wealth of their parents: it just creates further class inequalities.
Plus, if every single child was made to attend state schools, I think standards would improve. People with the power and money who send their kids to private schools wouldn't stand for some of the stuff that goes in state education - it would force changes in state education. The motivation for improvement of state education doesn't exist to this extent, because the people with the power to change it don't have much incentive as they can just opt to send their children to private school.

I understand that many people will completely disagree with me, but I wanted to give you my perspective - despite it being somewhat radical. Tbh, it's only after studying education in sociology that I decided that I was against private education - knowing the facts just showed me how unfair it is.

EDIT: Thought I should add - I don't have anything against anyone who went to private school or who chooses to send their kids there. Some of the loveliest people I know went to private school

Speaks the truth,

//thread.
I don't really find anything wrong with it, and like you I went to a state school (which I wont be sending my children to). We live in a capitalist society and those things are bound to happen. Family who can afford a better education have all the rights to do so. It might be unfair but that's life, and people are born destined to do great things while others aren't.

Although if it was all up to me, I'd improve the quality of teachers whether the go to a state or private school.
Jealousy. I'm not entirely sure why people get like that, I didn't go to private school and couldn't care less.
I have no problem with private schools, but unfortunately most of the people who I went to state college with who had previously attended a private secondary school were really rude, snobbish and everything had to be their way. There were a couple of others who were pretty nice though :smile:. The first people I mentioned are the sort who are responsible for the stereotype of private school kids which a lot of state school pupils see.
Original post by Unknown?
Then the less well off should blame their parents for not working harder when they were young and not being born with a better lot in life. Why should it be the problem of the rich/ those who did work hard? They already pay enough in taxes to fund the state system while also paying private education for their own offspring and hence also reducing the strain on the state system. What more do you want, their blood?

you can't blame the parents, it simply rests that some people in society have not been given the chances/pressure to educate themselves sufficiently, due to the **** education system in this country.

Latest

Trending

Trending