The Student Room Group

biology teacher employability with this...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gingerbreadman85
You're going to have to teach GCSE Physics/Chemistry anyway in all likelihood, so you may as well do the Subject Enhancement. Better to spend a few weeks giving you some confidence than spend years teaching unconfidently.

Yes, Bio is in less demand, that doesn't mean Biologists can't get jobs (any more so than History, English or Art teachers). There are currently 48 jobs being advertised on TES for secondary science or biology teachers. If you are worried about it so much that you are letting it stress you out around 4 YEARS before you're going to have to start applying for teaching jobs (assuming you are a yr13 now, doing a bio BSc next year and not taking a gap year) you seriously need to chill out a little.

What's your backup

Oh yes i see what you mean, and i just want to be prepared really because otherwise i feel i am not working towards anything, i don't like the uncertainty... so yeah, and i don't really have a backup that is what i want to do :smile:
Original post by diesha
Oh right, well thanks for that piece of advise :smile:
So, do you think i would struggle to get onto a PGCE with biology as the only science a level?

I don't think you would be hindranced by doing a PGCE in Biology with a Biology degree, but it could help your future employment if you can demonstrate that you have (some) knowledge of the other sciences through modules that you've done at University.
Reply 22
Original post by linkdapink
I don't think you would be hindranced by doing a PGCE in Biology with a Biology degree, but it could help your future employment if you can demonstrate that you have (some) knowledge of the other sciences through modules that you've done at University.

Oh right yes.. not even sure if i will get onto a PGCE witth just one science :redface:!
And yes to show knowledge of other science's would doing the subject enhancement courses be a good idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending