The Student Room Group

How do you go about writing an essay plan?

I've never bothered to write one before because I have never felt the need. However, my teacher wants to see one tomorrow :s-smilie:

Any ideas about writing essay plans are welcome !

Could you also say what subject you did it for please.
Reply 1
I'm interested in this also.
Reply 2
Original post by High As A Kite
I've never bothered to write one before because I have never felt the need. However, my teacher wants to see one tomorrow :s-smilie:

Any ideas about writing essay plans are welcome !

Could you also say what subject you did it for please.

I used to do them for my A levels: Eng Lit, Economics, Law. Still do them at uni (studying law).

The plan will usually consist of one line for each paragraph of the answer. You're basically setting out what is going to be in your essay. Sometimes you might need a more detailed plan. Heres one I did a bit earlier:

Introduction Art 45 FMW shall be secured.
- way that meaning of worker has been interpreted allows FMW to become a reality
- however, there are limitations.
Para 1: Meaning of worker
- interpreted broadly by ECJ
- cannot be interpreted restrictively (Raulin)
- factors to be considered: remuneration, duration
- cannot take into account personal conduct of individual before/after emp (Ninni)
- Essential features (lawrie Blum)
Para 2: Part time workers
- Levin earning less than subsistence wage
- Kampf irrelevant whether claiming social assistance
- Raulin nat courts must assess how many hours are necessary for effective economic activity
- Bettray not economic activity, but confined to facts
- Trajoni
- Remuneration can be benefits in kind (Staymann)
Para 3: difficulties for students
- Brown work cannot be purely ancillary to employment
- Lair must be link b/w the two unless involuntary employment
Para 4: ways to over come difficulties: Citizenship, Art 18
- Art 18 discrimination prohibited
- Grzcelzyk came under provisions by fact that he was an EU national lawfully residing in host MS
- However, this is not unqualified MS may restrict to student integrated within society Bidar
- Calls into question equal treatment Foster
Para 5: Criticism
- focus has not fully shifted from economic to social objectives
- c.f part time workers on claiming assistance w/ student shows emphasis on economic goals
- MSs fear people moving to states which allow most government assistance, therefore conditions of economical activity, financial independence have to be kept to make FM viable
- But means Europe w/o border is not available for expensive nationals
Para 6- further limitations
- Art 45(3) - jusificaitons
Conclusion
- broad interpretation has meant FM can become a reality but there are still restrictions to this

If you give me an idea of the subject matter I could maybe give you a bit more guidance.

You can also do essay plans as diagrams - keep it short - try and sum up your paragraphs by stating what point you will be making in them.
I do it as a sort of vague table (or just sections with headings) that I draw out in advance, usually so I have a box for each paragraph so I know where everything is going within the essay. Then I'll go through my notes and as I go along I can put each point in the relevant section.
So it'll go

INTRO
- bullet points

PARA 1 *topic*
- bullet points/notes/ideas/arguments/quotes
PARA 2 *topic* same structure from here with however many paragraphs

then I outline the conclusion or leave it until I finish the essay because it's usually clearer by then.

It's not particularly laborious and doesn't have to be that long or extensive, I just find it quite efficient as I basically have my essay laid out and I can go through and write it out by elaborating on each point in the plan, in order. Nothing gets missed and I don't have to rearrange it half way through or after (though I realise you just need this for something to hand in :colondollar:).

If it's a simple yes/no essay or quite short then I just do two rows or columns, one for each side of the argument.

Quick Reply

Latest