The Student Room Group

St Olaves 6th Form Entrance Exam Help!

Hi
I am applying for St Olaves 6th form and i need a little help please :smile:
I am taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography for A levels and i understand that the entrance exam is basically GCSE stuff but a little more advanced.
I am quite worried about geography as we have not finished covering all the topics in school eg i havent done rivers yet. So do any of you know the structure style and content, i would be grateful if you could tell.

Could you also tell me how hard math, chem and bio is and the basic content (and do you do an ISA experiment for chem and bio?). :smile:

THANKYOU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
someone reply as i wanna know an answer to, im taking maths, chemistry, economics and spanish
Original post by imsobored
Hi
I am taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography for A levels and i understand that the entrance exam is basically GCSE stuff but a little more advanced.
I am quite worried about geography as we have not finished covering all the topics in school eg i havent done rivers yet. So do any of you know the structure style and content, i would be grateful if you could tell.

Could you also tell me how hard math, chem and bio is and the basic content (and do you do an ISA experiment for chem and bio?). :smile:

THANKYOU

I did this exam many many years ago so its probably changed now, but I will tell you what happened in mine anyway. I did loads of revision and it turned out to not be that helpful. They give you a choice of questions for most of them, so don't worry about having not covered everything. Everyone else will be in the same situation, you're all from different schools with different a curriculum and they know that. Maths was definitely the hardest, that is the one I would recommend revising for the most. There was an experiment design question for biology, so revise that. Don't do what I did, and forget you only need to do 2 out of 6 of the biology questions. I did all 6, and so had very little time for the experiment part. I can't remember much about Geography except that it was the easiest one.
Reply 3
Original post by mrs_bellamy

Original post by mrs_bellamy
I did this exam many many years ago so its probably changed now, but I will tell you what happened in mine anyway. I did loads of revision and it turned out to not be that helpful. They give you a choice of questions for most of them, so don't worry about having not covered everything. Everyone else will be in the same situation, you're all from different schools with different a curriculum and they know that. Maths was definitely the hardest, that is the one I would recommend revising for the most. There was an experiment design question for biology, so revise that. Don't do what I did, and forget you only need to do 2 out of 6 of the biology questions. I did all 6, and so had very little time for the experiment part. I can't remember much about Geography except that it was the easiest one.

Thankyou for the information :smile:
Just one question, when you say an experiment design question, do you mean they give an experiment and you have to answer questions from it like whats the independant, control and dependant vairiable and stuff (so basically like and ISA but not actually doing the experiment ??) ?? x
Thankyou for the information :smile:
Just one question, when you say an experiment design question, do you mean they give an experiment and you have to answer questions from it like whats the independant, control and dependant vairiable and stuff (so basically like and ISA but not actually doing the experiment ??) ?? x

Sorry I don't know what an ISA is, I'm old. From what I remember, which is very vague, it was more along the lines of if you want to find out about something, design an experiment to do so. It wasn't a very complicated design or anything. There were probably questions like you mentioned as well. This was about 6 years ago though, so it has very likely changed.
Reply 5
ahhh

i heard entry exams are VERY hard

but we can only try our best i suppose :smile:
Reply 6
Hi

THANKYOU

are you in the green group? :smile: cos i'm doing biology geography maths and computing and im just wondering if the groups are set by subjects?
Reply 7
the groups are done according to surnames i think
Reply 8
help what to revise i got the exam too!
same subs as you :smile:
what u guys doing for revision??
Reply 9
I'm in the green group, and I'm taking double maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry (Changed from Computing to Biology) If that helps your theory anyhow,

I was wondering, do they invite over to an interview based on your exam results alone, or do they also take your GCSE's into account?
And can anyone provide any more information about the math papers, I'm worried about them the most.
Reply 10
Hy im applyin for the school to and im takin maths, economics, eng lit and history
am in green group too
Just wanted to say that I think they look at your GCSE's too - not just the exam.
Also, am worried about the stuff on economics as I havent done it in GCSE - what do i do? And I as wonderin if anyone has any info on the other papers - I havent got a clue!
Reply 11
yeah i know what you mean they were really vague on the sheet they sent us. for geography they were just like its question which you can use any topic to answer :\ and same with maths it says it supposed to 'challenge' students so my parents reckon it will be slightly easy a level math.
i found the tests quite easy tbh, maths was slightly tricky though! :frown:
I found the tests also easy especially Maths. I completed all questions. However, Computing was absolutely ridiculous, a programming extract and also identify different programming languages. Thought it was an IT test but turned out to be totally different.

Just to make sure what answer did anyone get for the Physics rollercoaster question?
I got 13100N (don't quite remember). Is it just calculating Force = Mass * Acceleration
Original post by ingeek2010
I found the tests also easy especially Maths. I completed all questions. However, Computing was absolutely ridiculous, a programming extract and also identify different programming languages. Thought it was an IT test but turned out to be totally different.

Just to make sure what answer did anyone get for the Physics rollercoaster question?
I got 13100N (don't quite remember). Is it just calculating Force = Mass * Acceleration

wow, thats not really gcse ICT is it then? :/
do you think you passed? and do you remember what you got for the last maths questions, simplyfying the surds? there wasn't really enough time tbh :P
Reply 15
Original post by shanedsouza
do you think you passed? and do you remember what you got for the last maths questions, simplyfying the surds? there wasn't really enough time tbh :P

I got like 7 root 2, over 8, you?

Hey!, For the last question I got exactly 3.5 (7/2).
Original post by ingeek2010
Hey!, For the last question I got exactly 3.5 (7/2).

naa, sorry mate... i got what max25 got 7root2 over 8
did you answer all questions?
Oh I C! How about physics?
naa, sorry mate... i got what max25 got 7root2 over 8
did you answer all questions?

Yh! I answered all questions, but doubt i geh in though coz i messed up on the computing exam :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending