The Student Room Group

St Olaves 6th Form Entrance Exam Help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shanedsouza
naa, sorry mate... i got what max25 got 7root2 over 8
did you answer all questions?

sorry dude, but you and max25 got it wrong, I got exatly 3.5 too. It was really simple once you simplify the surds out, I think you both made the same mistake somwhere.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by michaello67
sorry dude, but you and max25 got it wrong, I got exatly 3.5 too. It was really simple once you simplify the surds out, I think you both made the same mistake somwhere. I know im sounding cocky but I had loads of time left and i checked it hundreds of times thus im 100% sure it was 3.5.
Also doesn't the answer just seem odd to you, compared to a really nice simple one, the simple one obviously seems more likerly to be true.

Forgive my interruption but being the maths nerd that I am I cannot a wrong answer pass for a right one, ahh the amount of times I annoyed the heck out of my teacher by constant questioning of her answers...

Heyy! thankss....I really had a great confusion to whether my answer was right....yess indeed the final answer was 28/8.....anyway...what subjects did you take and how did you find the tests????
Reply 22
Hey yeh i got exactly 3.5 too :biggrin: and managed to complete most questions. Anyone else find Economics hard? I didn't know what to write for half the stuff! Went OK overall though....
Great mstar26! Anyone know when the results are actually coming??
Reply 24
Original post by ingeek2010
Yh! I answered all questions, but doubt i geh in though coz i messed up on the computing exam :frown:

COMPUTING WAS SO HARD. i think i wont get in now because i hardly answered any questions. and the ironic thing is on the sheet it said that we wouldnt need to know any foreknowledge. liers! :frown:
hey people, I took all three sciences and double maths. The tests were OK after I cracked down on them.

Ill link you to a post where I wrote about how I found the tests so I'm not repeating myself, (i am one of the laziest people you will meet, ever.)
Here you go
Reply 26
Hi :smile:
I'm doing the olave's exams this year and was just wondering what they were like? I'm doing triple science and double maths, sounds like they weren't too bad last year?
Thanks!
Reply 27
Original post by lizziew96
Hi :smile:
I'm doing the olave's exams this year and was just wondering what they were like? I'm doing triple science and double maths, sounds like they weren't too bad last year?
Thanks!

Hi
I'm also doing the entrance exam this year. I am in the green group doing triple science and double maths.
What group are you in.
Reply 28
Original post by cybergeek
Hi
I'm also doing the entrance exam this year. I am in the green group doing triple science and double maths.
What group are you in.

the luck on that, im also doing those subjectss-- but im in the grey house-- how u going to prepare for the exam?
Hi
What group are you in.

Hi, I'm doing the exams this year too and i'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and french (i'm in green house)
from what i've heard it seems like half of biology is an experiment question? so i'm guessing it would be like the questions you have in ISA? i dont know what the others are like - you're doing TRIPLE SCIENCE????? good luck :confused: :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Hi im taking the st olaves entry exams in two weeks and i'd like some guidance on how the exams are like. I'm Taking Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics. Thanks :smile:
Reply 31
Heyy im also doin the entrance exam on d 4th of feb...im in green group doin double maths...biology...chemistry and french...#fingersCrossed - does any1 have an idea of what the chemistry paper wud be like???:smile:
Original post by teminov2
Heyy im also doin the entrance exam on d 4th of feb...im in green group doin double maths...biology...chemistry and french...#fingersCrossed - does any1 have an idea of what the chemistry paper wud be like???:smile:

that's weird, we're doing exactly the same subjects and are in the same group ..... i think they said its c1 and c2 stuff but MUCH harder than GCSE which is funny cos i just did my additional biology and that was a nightmare:frown:
Reply 33
Does anyone know what the colour sheet means? I got a yellow sheet and I'm doing Double maths, Physics, Chemistry and RE. btw I know it says registration group, buthow do they determine who's in what group? :confused:
Hey guys,

The exams aren't as hard as you expect. The questions are solely based on GCSE content, for chemistry and physics there are no questions relating to ISA. The first double page of the physics exam was definition questions such as (acceleration, velocity, gravity, f=ma, ..etc.). Also, renewable and non-renewable sources of energy.

For chemistry, there are many questions that relate to green chemistry such as %yield, atom economy, balancing equations , moles, predicting products from reactants.

Maths is the most easiest one out of all the papers. All you need is a good grasp of the GCSE Maths syllabus. (Simultaneous equations, quadratics, surds, indices, volumes, % calculations, ratios, frequency density, etc.)

Finally, Computing was a KILLER because most people tend to revise GCSE ICT, but questions are on computing such as (programming languages (HTML,), Pros and cons of email, flow diagrams,)

I'm an external student currently in Year 12 at St.Olaves.

All the best guys! :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by ubaitguy

Original post by ubaitguy
the luck on that, im also doing those subjectss-- but im in the grey house-- how u going to prepare for the exam?

I have no clue probably use the revision guide. What about you
Reply 36
Original post by nyami001.303

Original post by nyami001.303
Hi, I'm doing the exams this year too and i'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and french (i'm in green house)
from what i've heard it seems like half of biology is an experiment question? so i'm guessing it would be like the questions you have in ISA? i dont know what the others are like - you're doing TRIPLE SCIENCE????? good luck :confused: :s-smilie:

Hi, what is the ISA as i haven't yet done it. What could it be about. Enzymes????
Reply 37

Hey guys,

The exams aren't as hard as you expect. The questions are solely based on GCSE content, for chemistry and physics there are no questions relating to ISA. The first double page of the physics exam was definition questions such as (acceleration, velocity, gravity, f=ma, ..etc.). Also, renewable and non-renewable sources of energy.

For chemistry, there are many questions that relate to green chemistry such as %yield, atom economy, balancing equations , moles, predicting products from reactants.

Maths is the most easiest one out of all the papers. All you need is a good grasp of the GCSE Maths syllabus. (Simultaneous equations, quadratics, surds, indices, volumes, % calculations, ratios, frequency density, etc.)

Finally, Computing was a KILLER because most people tend to revise GCSE ICT, but questions are on computing such as (programming languages (HTML,), Pros and cons of email, flow diagrams,)

I'm an external student currently in Year 12 at St.Olaves.

All the best guys! :smile:

Hi for physics do they supply you with the formulas or do you need to know them.
Hi, what is the ISA as i haven't yet done it. What could it be about. Enzymes????

questions about how science works. so they might describe an experiment and ask you why they repeated the experiment (answer: to make it more reliable) hope that helped :smile:
Reply 39

omg you were right! :O it was enzymes! wish I'd come on here before the test then maybe I would've revised enzymes :biggrin: haha oh well!
How hard did everyone find it?? I did three sciences and maths, they were all super hard! I didn't get in, I'm pretty sure :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending