The Student Room Group

WJEC Biology Exam BY1 11th Jauary 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rsp
ok thankx, for the table youre awnsers seem very good i only put mg is in chlorophyll, Ca in bones and teeth (i was going to put strong then thought it was wrong :frown: . Same for Iron. Phosphate in cell membranes and in teeth. i probably lost a few marks there

ooo good awner - 'metabolic activity'. i put becasue cells damage easily need protein so need atp so need mitocondria :frown: and uses a lot of energy blah di blah .

I don't think you needed to be too specific, so I doubt you lost marks on that.

I remembered the 'metabolic activity' phrase from an identical question about muscle cells. Maybe your answer is more accurate.

Grargh I just want to get my results now to get it over with. I'm not too confident. But I think I'm on the A/B borderline. I'll be upset if I get less than that. Ah well, in March I'll find out.:s-smilie:
Reply 21
I dont think it was too bad... Question 1 ad 7 threw me abit..to be honest dont remember learnig about question 1 or having it in my revision notes :/ and question 7 about the rat was abit iffy .. would it have been that the reson the number is similar is because the base pairs are complementary and are therefore nearly exacly the same whatever.... (didnt put whatevery :smile: ) ???

THANK GOD you lot pointed it out i started off ticking the boxes then thought no this isnt right you cant just tick ... then thought but you cant fit deoxyribose in that box :/ i was having a mini panic attack but did end up writing them i ..

Good luck everyone! i got physics next week monday AQA and geography AQA o friday :biggrin:

What you all looking to do at uni? ad what grades do you need?
Reply 22
i don't get why it was 'active transport' for the question on the uptake of K ions. because there was no information saying that it needed ATP. maybe i'm just being stupid :s-smilie: i put diffusion.
(edited 13 years ago)
in the table of inorganic ions did people jsut basically say where the ion was found?
'Explain why the relative amount of adenine is almost the same as the relative amount of thymine in each source' (one with table of data) (3 marks)
i put because they connect blah di blah but what else???
Also why do liver have a large number of mitochondria

Yep I put that for the ions, its a bit of a confusing question, so Chlorophyll, Haemoglobin, Nucleic Acids and Bones and Teeth i think.
The Bases question I was not sure either so i just wrote about complementary base pairs containing equal amounts.
Original post by lil_kittie
i don't get why it was 'active transport' for the question on the uptake of K ions. because there was no information saying that it needed ATP. maybe i'm just being stupid :s-smilie:

It had oxygen consumption in the table, which means oxygen used for respiration to make ATP...
That paper was the easiest I have ever done out of 2006-2010 BY1 pass papers, most of the material used was high up on my revision list so I am confident about getting 70%+ but for now, it's just a waiting game!
Reply 26
arghh definately failed...
Reply 27
I did not know the function of iron, but i took a wild guess and i put 'Prevents blood clotting'. Do you i think that would get the mark?

And you know that table Of DNA and mRNA, there was one about number of organic base or something. I had no idea, i put 2 for DNA and 1 for mRNA.
Anyone know?
Reply 28
Original post by tom108
And you know that table Of DNA and mRNA, there was one about number of organic base or something. I had no idea, i put 2 for DNA and 1 for mRNA.
Anyone know?

It asked about how many carbons were in the sugar. That was 5 for each of them, because, y'know, Pentose.
Another one(which i think is the one you mean?) asked how many nucleotide chains were in them, I think. SOmething like that anyway. Yeah, I put the same as you because RNA is single stranded and DNA is double stranded. The people I asked about it said the same thing.:smile:
Reply 29
can anyone post the answers? i did my c1 maths yesterday and someone already worked it, is that possible with this paper as well, i really cant wait all that time until march
Reply 30
Original post by Nataliaarr
can anyone post the answers? i did my c1 maths yesterday and someone already worked it, is that possible with this paper as well, i really cant wait all that time until march

No you can't for biology. Unless someone memories all the questions.

GL
Reply 31
Original post by Dusty12
It asked about how many carbons were in the sugar. That was 5 for each of them, because, y'know, Pentose.
Another one(which i think is the one you mean?) asked how many nucleotide chains were in them, I think. SOmething like that anyway. Yeah, I put the same as you because RNA is single stranded and DNA is double stranded. The people I asked about it said the same thing.:smile:

Awesome. Just gotta wait really :/
Original post by tom108

GL

Well Yes you can!!! Ive got a spare copy of the paper. So I can refer to that if anyone has any specific questions about the exam?
Reply 33
Original post by Keiran:.
I dont think it was too bad... Question 1 ad 7 threw me abit..to be honest dont remember learnig about question 1 or having it in my revision notes :/ and question 7 about the rat was abit iffy .. would it have been that the reson the number is similar is because the base pairs are complementary and are therefore nearly exacly the same whatever.... (didnt put whatevery :smile: ) ???

THANK GOD you lot pointed it out i started off ticking the boxes then thought no this isnt right you cant just tick ... then thought but you cant fit deoxyribose in that box :/ i was having a mini panic attack but did end up writing them i ..

Good luck everyone! i got physics next week monday AQA and geography AQA o friday :biggrin:

What you all looking to do at uni? ad what grades do you need?

Good luck with Physics and Geography! My last one is tomorrow: Chemistry WJEC , i'm hoping to do medicine at university so desperately need good grades !
Lol I've really messed my paper up, and it really was an easy paper!

I don't have many marks for my essay at all. :/

And for the K ions one, I put temperature since all transport through a membrane is affected by temperate (didn't say rate), and I said that K ions will readily bond to the cyanide to form potassium cyanide (KCN), so then I said the rate would greatly decrease since the amount of ions would decrease. :/

I got so much wrong. XD
I guess I'll be resitting. I guess this is what you get when you don't have lessons for BY1 or BY2. :p:
Which I'm sitting next week. D:
Reply 35
Original post by tom108

Original post by tom108

GL

allright thanks, i just hope ill get an A
Reply 36
for the K+ one and the Cyanide question, I said 'Cyanide is a respiratory inhibitor, it would not effect the disc with a 0 conc of oxygen in, where as it would effect the other 3 discs because there is oxygen present'

how many marks out of 3 do u think i will get then?
Reply 37
2 marks
Im so nervous about the results for this exam :biggrin:
Just two days now!!!
Reply 39
Ahhh me too. D: *panics*
I'll be very disappointed if I get less than a B because I put a lot of effort into this exam. I think it went alright, so we'll just have to wait and see. =S

Quick Reply

Latest