The Student Room Group

nursing diploma. transport?

ive been given interviews for teesside and northumbria for adult nursing ive been to the teeside one and northumbrias next week. the problem is the price of car insurance! over 3,000! is there any way i can do the nursing course without a car, (nightshifts etc wont have public transport in the middle of the night will it?)
Nights are not a problem as public transport at 7 or 8 pm and at 7 or 8 am are generally not a problem ,where getting to work by public transport for an early can be a problem especially on sundays and bank holidays ...
Reply 2
Is that fully comp or third party? One is normally cheaper or can you do temporary car insurance? Some companies do offer this I think, say if you were borrowing a friend's car and you only needed two weeks insurance.
Reply 3
I didn't have a car when i did nursing.. it made it tricky working on sundays. However I just explained to the nursing staff that I either couldn't work sundays or could only do certain hours and they were always really lovely about it. I wasn't the only one who didnt have a car either, there was loads of us and used to see everyone like getting the bus or train and stuff. It was cool.
If you're working in the Teesside or Northumbria area then you don't need a car as there are ample buses/trains/metro which take other early/late starting workers to and from work.

If you will be living at Teesside/Northumbria then most placements are within 30 minutes from the university.

Alteernatively if the travelling time is going to be excessive then just find a B&B close to your placement and claim the money back from the NHS bursary unit. You also get travelling expenses to your normal term time home for one journey each way each week.

Quick Reply

Latest