The Student Room Group

UWC - United World Colleges

UWC - United World Colleges
................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ .
United World Colleges are a group of colleges dotted around the world in countries such as India, Norway, Singapore and South America. You usually study IB at these colleges as opposed to A-Level or the equivalent. I am considering applying for one, the one in Norway has caught my eye in particular.

It is really hard to get in and I was wondering if anyone seeing this has been to a UWC or knows anybody who has been. The application process is really tough with a personal statement and other difficult questions such as 'tell us about a difficult circumstance you went through and what sort of things you learnt about yourself in this time'... I'm fifteen, and I am struggling to think of a particular event in my life during and after which I learnt alot about myself.

Any tips on dealing with personal statements would be really appreciated, but I'm primarily doing this to try and learn more about the UWC ethos and what it is really like from a student who has actually been there.

Thanks so much,
..t. X
................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey:biggrin:

This is really exciting that you want to apply for UWC! All I can say to that is go for it :smile: I went to Pearson College in Canada and I absolutely loved it. Well, about the application: write anaything that in your mind fits that. Really its what you learn from the situation or event and how you seen yourself in that and so on, not so much about the actual experience I would say.

So good luck with your application!
Reply 2
Hey! Thanks for replying... I got an interview! Could you shed any light on the interview day... I have to do a 5 minute presentation and lead a discussion on it for no longer than 10 mins. What about the rest of the time? I stay there the night before the actual interview... I was just wondering what it's like etc... and roughly how many other people will be there? Thank you so much x
Reply 3
Hey! I haven't been to a UWC, but I have an interview this year at AC as well. As far as I've gathered from the UWC network, then there will be a lot of group debates and discussions, etc. I've spoken to a couple of other people who have had interviews in other countries, and it seems to be incredibly personality based.

Apparently around 90 people have interviews, so I guess it'll be 20-25 people per day. What day is your interview, by the way? I'm on the 25th-26th.

You should check out the network, if you haven't found it already: http://www.uwcnetwork.org/

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Haha, thanks! My interview is on the 25-26th too. I've been on the UWC network already, it has been really useful. My dad went to Atlantic College the year it started, which is cool to talk to him about but his info on interviews is pretty outdated! Apparently the type of interview changes all the time though. I'm a bit confused about the presentation, but other than figuring that out I don't think we can really prepare for the interview, can we?
Reply 5
Congratulations on the UWC interview! I graduated from UWCSEA in Singapore last year. Going there instead of the alternative (boarding school and A-Levels in UK) was one of the best decisions of my life. The IB is harder than A-Levels if you're looking to get the very best scores you can. UK universities and sometimes incoming IB students sometimes don't appreciate the greater workload. However, I found that the level of support given at my UWC was outstanding. The internationalism of the schools is fantastic (seriously, fantastic) and the schools in my experience take the social service and benevolent actions component of IB very seriously. It's good to have some degree of experience in community service that you can discuss.

In the interview, being able to discuss the topic they want cogently and eloquently is critical. Generally try to come across as intelligent and, most importantly, a fit with the UWC value system.
Good luck!
Reply 6
Sorry for the late reply! But, no, I don't think we can really prepare for the interview. People say that you need to keep up-to-date with current affairs, but in most cases I think that's just a taking a little extra care when reading BBC. The presentation is pretty scary, but I guess I'll see you there soon!
Reply 7
Amy, what are your college preferences? I just got the e-mail with all the details on each of the colleges.
Trying to figure out which one I like the most...it's difficult, they're all so different!
Reply 8
I know what you mean - it's so difficult! If I have to choose (which we kind of do!) my top five are Pearson, Atlantic, Adriatic, Maastricht and Red Cross Nordic. All for different reasons, really. What about yours?

(On a side note: I'm totally freaking out about the fact that this is in two days time. It's come to the point when I'm stressing about clothes. xD)
Reply 9
Argh.... I hadn't even thought about clothes... until now...
I think my top five would have to be Adriatic, Red Cross, USA, LPC, and Mostar...

what are your reasons?
UWCs are amazing. I went to Atlantic College and it's one of the best things I ever did. It was just fantastic. However, looking back at my time, I have one big regret and that is that I didnt consider applying for a school out of the UK. I would love to have gone to norway or adriatic, huge huge regret.

But I guess that just shows you how much I loved it :smile:

Best of luck
Reply 11
Pearson because, well, it seems perfect for me. I'm trying to drum up support for Marine Conservation in my school right now, I'd love to study Marine Biology, I adore watersports and the majority of the sports that they offer there! Adriatic because of the creative side and also because I adore the idea of being integrated into the village. Atlantic because of all the services offered, and the emphasis they seem to put on services. Red Cross Nordic because they seem really environmental and also just seem like a really lovely school. Maastricht would be interesting because going there you'd be the first ever English person, but I have a feeling I might get lonely. India is another one I adore - it would be such an adventure. You?
my true word of advice. It seems really idyllic now that Atlantic put all this emphasis on service, thats great. But when it came to my exams I felt extremely under prepared academically, despite all of the hard work I had put in. At the end of the day, it's your high school, your 6th form college in a way, and its possible to do lots of wonderful extra curricular things at the same time as getting a great degree.

I dont want to seem negative, and, as I said in my previous post, UWC is a wonderful balanced education that I have never regretted doing. Don't underestimate the importance of national groups e.g. in maastricht. At my school (AC) all the chinese grouped together (bar a few), all the latinos were one huge national group too. You will appreciate the support of having other native english speakers, because non-natives after spending all day studying in that language, just do not want to chat in English especially in teh first couple of weeks when everybody is adjusting!

Anyway, my main point is service is great, but academically I felt that I should have gone to another UWC/international school in general because when it comes down to it, you are competing for university places against everybody else who does the IB including reams of japanese, indians, koreans, chinese, really really intelligent driven people, and sometimes being a lifeguard just isnt going to make that up, you know?

Also, for marine conservation, apply for Pearson!
Finally, in the interview if you havent had it yet, just be yourself. One girl I know was incredibly over enthusiastic about everything and perhaps over embellished her achievemnts. She got sent to the US and was just incredibly miserable for her two years there because she couldnt really connect to other people because they didn't really share the same inetrests.

I hope my advice isnt too negative, but trying to be honest. Best of luck!
oh and just to add to a comment from above, in terms of the extra support you get with the workload, dont expect anything like that at Atlantic College. Singapore is renowned as being the most 'school like' UWC in that they are worked hard and they even have kingergarten and stuff there. Its like a UWC ethos tacked on to a far bigger school. It's academically very strong and nothing like any of the other UWCs.
Oh and if you're a Brit hoping to go to Atlantic College...prepare to pay A LOT of money. All the stuff about not-paying-more-than-you-can-afford is basically crap. Or at least it was a couple years ago. We all tried as hard as possible to get the system changed but as far as we can see the british national committee is still insisting that it's fair and transparent when it's totally not. Most of the average wage middle class brits were paying £20k+ per yr.
Oh and also if you're totally dead set on Oxbridge, expect a lot of work and possibly a lot of disappointment.
Having said that, you will have an amazing couple of years.
Reply 15
Yeah, from what I've been told the British NC has even less money this year than ever before! I'm not expecting to get a scholarship, and definitely could not go to AC if I didn't get a scholarship, so it sort of sucks. xD
Hi,I just got called for an interview with the UWCSEA committee and the college options I have are UWC USA and UWC Red Cross Nordic.
Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for the interview and what could possibly be asked?
Oh, and what kind of attire would you or did you wear for the interview?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 17
Hi everyone! Just got accepted at Li Po Chun UWC on full pay! I'm not sure what to do now-any suggestions on whether or not I should accept the offer?
Hey guys, I am a UWC AC 2nd year student at the moment. I absolutely love it here. I wouldn't change it for the world. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey i have a place at the Indian uwc on full pay. I'm wondering whether or not to accept it? I'm Indian btw and I want to go to Oxford or lse and I'm wondering if it might be easier to just do a levels and get there. I'm also worried if il end up neglecting academics cos of all the extracurriculars.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending