The Student Room Group

Julian Assange Fears Death Penalty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12159198

Anyone else think hes going a bit over the top? He is going to appeal his extradition to Sweden on the basis that it violates his human right not to be tortured.

Personally I think there is o way the death penalty would be used it just seems silly to even speculate on its use.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If they used the death penalty they'd have to come up with a ****ing good excuse in order to keep the docile masses sleeping.
Reply 2
I gave up trying to keep up to date on this. Nothing is trustworthy. Either the media are being manipulated to paint him in a poor light in order to discredit wikileaks which they continually cite Assange incorrectly as the founder, or Mr Assange is all that stuff and is just pulling things from nothing. Probably a bit of both, but as someone who is unlikely to ever know wtf is going on, I think it is pointless to try and understand it all.
Reply 3
Original post by adam_zed
I gave up trying to keep up to date on this. Nothing is trustworthy. Either the media are being manipulated to paint him in a poor light in order to discredit wikileaks which they continually cite Assange incorrectly as the founder, or Mr Assange is all that stuff and is just pulling things from nothing. Probably a bit of both, but as someone who is unlikely to ever know wtf is going on, I think it is pointless to try and understand it all.

I think the problem is Assange is generally a very odd man. HE said himself that he goes through mobile's like T shirts. He constantly changes them. He moves all over the world and has always been very very paranoid
Reply 4
Original post by Steezy
If they used the death penalty they'd have to come up with a ****ing good excuse in order to keep the docile masses sleeping.

america will just call him a traitor to usa and every american will agree and be outraged at assange

simples
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Broderss
>traitor to usa

simples

If telling the truth to the world means you're 'a traitor to the US', that clearly means the US is lying. Do you really think people will be happy with the message that if they decide to tell the truth, they will be executed. And America think they have the right to tell China how to govern? Sort your ****ing selves out first!

EDIT - He's not even American, how is he a traitor to the US? He's as much of a traitor to the US is as Ross Kemp is to countless other countries.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Aj12
I think the problem is Assange is generally a very odd man. HE said himself that he goes through mobile's like T shirts. He constantly changes them. He moves all over the world and has always been very very paranoid

Well so would you be! This isnt that weird kid from across the road who thinks MI5 are spying on him, this is a man who is being hounded by some of the worlds most powerful governments who have been behind some pretty grisly events and still are seen as the holy saints.
Reply 7
Original post by Steezy
If telling the truth to the world means you're 'a traitor to the US', that clearly means the US is lying. Do you really think people will be happy with the message that if they decide to tell the truth, they will be executed. And America think they have the right to tell China how to govern? Sort your ****ing selves out first!

EDIT - He's not even American, how is he a traitor to the US? He's as much of a traitor to the US is as Ross Kemp is to countless other countries.

Of course the US government is corrupt and lies, I think everyone with the slightest intelligence knows this. That's why only a few Americans are aware.
Reply 8
Original post by Shaun1991
Of course the US government is corrupt and lies, I think everyone with the slightest intelligence knows this. That's why only a few Americans are aware.

This is what I'm saying. The docile masses must wake up soon enough? Especially if they see the US government execute someone for telling the truth! Maybe I'm just unable to comprehend the extreme lack of intelligence that the US public have?
Reply 9
Can't see it ending with that but if it did, i'd agree with Steezy. There would be a lot of people hitting the streets if he was ordered the death penalty...
Original post by Steezy

I agree, there would be too much opposition, and I don't think his crimes can be punishible by death.

>traitor to usa

simples

He's not American so he can't be a traitor to the USA.
Reply 11
Original post by Steezy

Original post by thunder_chunky
He's not American so he can't be a traitor to the USA.

i was just saying that's the excuse america will give and is something every american will agree with because patriotism is pretty big over in america. the uk won't say anything because it's america and the rest of the world isn't too concerned with this whole episode anyway.
Reply 12
i was just saying that's the excuse america will give and is something every american will agree with because patriotism is pretty big over in america. the uk won't say anything because it's america and the rest of the world isn't too concerned with this whole episode anyway.

Well I, for one, would be rioting. And there would be a half decent reason for this riot, so I wouldn't be ****ing about.
Original post by Aj12

Its not paranoia when its rational fear though.

Look at it this way, laying low and covering his tracks actually did keep the feds off his back, feds who actually were looking for him, and probably had been for a long time due to Wikileaks' other actions in the past.
Reply 14
>traitor to usa

simples

You have to be a citizen to be a traitor.
Well he's got to face up to his actions hasn't he. Don't go deliberately pissing off the most powerful government in the world and then go off crying like a little girl when they aren't happy about it. Please.

He's handled the fallout from the latest scandal so badly. He could have come out of it looking like a brave, stoic hero. Instead he has come out of it looking like a hypocritical coward - first moaning that the location of house was unfairly 'leaked' (pot, kettle) and now crying that he might die. Set up or not, I have really lost respect for him.
Original post by Mr Sparkles
Well he's got to face up to his actions hasn't he. Don't go deliberately pissing off the most powerful government in the world and then go off crying like a little girl when they aren't happy about it. Please.

He's handled the fallout from the latest scandal so badly. He could have come out of it looking like a brave, stoic hero. Instead he has come out of it looking like a hypocritical coward - first moaning that the location of house was unfairly 'leaked' (pot, kettle) and now crying that he might die. Set up or not, I have really lost respect for him.

What on earth is wrong with you? Wouldn't you try and take action to defend yourself if you were being set up, or conspired against in some way? (assuming what he's saying is mostly true, but I don't see overwhelming reason to see why it isn't)
Original post by Meteorshower
What on earth is wrong with you? Wouldn't you try and take action to defend yourself if you were being set up, or conspired against in some way? (assuming what he's saying is mostly true, but I don't see overwhelming reason to see why it isn't)

Yes, but hopefully I wouldn't have gone about deliberately upsetting the government.

He went into this whole thing knowing full well that torture and assassination were possible, nay likely. When he gets caught out on it he should just take it like a man. It's like taunting someone and then acting offended because they punched you in the face - well you asked for it. He's made his bed so he should lie in it.
Reply 18
Original post by Aj12

Well if you were in charge of leaking secret government documents, making enemies with the most powerful and corrupt organisations around the world, and being called to have you and your family assassinated, you would have to be paranoid to be honest.

Well that's not really the "excuse" or reason that the American powers that be are giving, the line they are taking is that what he has released is a breach of security and is a danger to the lives of many.

The believe that if someone dies as a result of these leaks whether they be millitary, in the intelligence community, or just a civillian, the blood will ultimately be on Assange's hands.

I don't completely disagree either, I think it was reckless to publish the documents, however if people want Assange they are going about it completely the wrong way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending