The Student Room Group

Why do third worlders breed excessively large families?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
I don't think the people who live there are going to be the ones with massive families though.

Lol. That was just an example to illustrate the notion that not ALL africans are poor. The house is large enough for many people, so you never can tell. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by Vanny17
Lol. That was just an example to illustrate the notion that not ALL africans are poor. The house is large enough for many people, so you never can tell. :smile:

That house was likely built by poor people under terrible conditions with little gain.

There is vast corruption in Africa. That is why you get some rich people who are only rich because they have special government contacts and destory the opposition in dubious ways....

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29170213
More kids, more of them to look after the parents in old age
Reply 63
Original post by Chengis
That house was likely built by poor people under terrible conditions with little gain.

There is vast corruption in Africa. That is why you get some rich people who are only rich because they have special government contacts and destory the opposition in dubious ways....

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29170213

Wow, you do know a lot about Africa. I agree that there is corruption in Africa but they do have natural resources are are very richly blessed with oil. If the leaders to not indulge in corruption, oppression and mistreatment of the poor people in Africa, Africa won't be classified as a third world country that it is called today. Example, If you compare the state of Nigeria in the early 70's to now, you will be surprised as to how it have changed so much. Academics is very required and seen as an acheivement by all and sundry in Nigeria but due to lack of Medical Facilties and the notion of being a ''third'' wrold country people tend to look down on Africans. They all think africans like in jungles and don't wear clothing :rolleyes: (Not generalsing by the way, most non africans think this way)
Reply 64
Original post by Vanny17
Wow, you do know a lot about Africa. I agree that there is corruption in Africa but they do have natural resources are are very richly blessed with oil. If the leaders to not indulge in corruption, oppression and mistreatment of the poor people in Africa, Africa won't be classified as a third world country that it is called today. Example, If you compare the state of Nigeria in the early 70's to now, you will be surprised as to how it have changed so much. Academics is very required and seen as an acheivement by all and sundry in Nigeria but due to lack of Medical Facilties and the notion of being a ''third'' wrold country people tend to look down on Africans. They all think africans like in jungles and don't wear clothing :rolleyes: (Not generalsing by the way, most non africans think this way)

Agreed, Nigeria was 'successful' back in its hey-day my uncle told me. Nigeria even used to fund doctors to travel around the world. And so my uncle took prime advantage! I mean, who wouldn't. And my friend's parents who moved to Nigeria when they were young from India to learn medicine. But then....it has gone really crappy now. No more free travelling, :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by Hamesh
Agreed, Nigeria was 'successful' back in its hey-day my uncle told me. Nigeria even used to fund doctors to travel around the world. And so my uncle took prime advantage! I mean, who wouldn't. And my friend's parents who moved to Nigeria when th:five:ey were young from India to learn medicine. But then....it has gone really crappy now. No more free travelling, :frown:

:five: Exactly. It erks me when people have misjudged perception of a country they know nothing about. There are diverse races of people living in there. I know, the corruption is nothing to talk about but they are richly blessed with raw natural resources. About your uncle, nah it was an opportunity he took up:tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Vanny17
:five: Exactly. It erks me when people have misjudged perception of a country they know nothing about. There are diverse races of people living in there. I know, the corruption is nothing to talk about but they are richly blessed with raw natural resources. About your uncle, nah it was an opportunity he took up:tongue:

African countries are blessed with a huge amount of resources no doubt. But this is being exploited by other countries who only desire to bribe the top politicians to continue to being despotic. It won't change.

See if Africa were united, it would be somewhat comparable to the EU due to it's sheer size of being a continent and gaining some weight to throw around. With peace, stability and high transparency, the continent would become very well-developed and prosperous. It's all about influence.

However, this isn't going to happen any time soon.

Besides, there are countries who have also got plenty of natural resources and have become very successful as a result. Look at the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Both have extremely advanced welfare states and are acquiring a huge development in infrastracture thus improving the quality of life. Bigots always tend to say, ''oh when the oil runs out, they'd collapse'. Not true. Do you not think that these govts invest in other industries and also have stringent financial regulations to help increase resistance towards any forthcoming economic meltdown? Also, will the West not suffer for the oil depletion? Oh sorry, they don't use oil do they :rolleyes:

Anyway sorry for dragging this topic the other way.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Hamesh
African countries are blessed with a huge amount of resources no doubt. But this is being exploited by other countries who only desire to bribe the top politicians to continue to being despotic. It won't change.

See if Africa were united, it would be somewhat comparable to the EU due to it's sheer size of being a continent and gain some weight to throw around. With peace, stability and high transparency, the continent would become very well-developed and prosperous. It's all about influence.

However, this isn't going to happen any time soon.

Besides, there are countries who have also got plenty of natural resources and have become very successful as a result. Look at the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
Both have extremely advanced welfare states and are acquiring a huge development in infrastracture thus improving the quality of life. Bigots always tend to say, ''oh when the oil runs out, they'd collapse'. Not true. Do you not think that these govts invest in other industries and also have stringent financial regulations to help increase resistance towards any forthcoming economic meltdown? Also, will the West not suffer for the oil depletion? Oh sorry, they don't use oil do they :rolleyes:

Anyway sorry for dragging this topic the other way.

I agree with other countries having plenty natural resources. Like i stated before, the corruption won't change any time soon. If there was to be unity among the continent, the country would be more advanced and the standard of living would be improved, i agree with this not about to change soon too with decietful greedy people in the government. There are vast natural resources like coal, timber, rubber but i chose to use oil as an example to depict my point. I know that they don't oil, i was just trying to justify my point. Hence why i put the rolleyes smilie to create a lighten mood in a rather sarcastic manner. It's alright, we all have opinions are are entitled to it. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Vanny17
I agree with other countries having plenty natural resources. Like i stated before, the corruption won't change any time soon. If there was to be unity among the continent, the country would be more advanced and the standard of living would be improved, i agree with this not about to change soon too with decietful greedy people in the government. There are vast natural resources like coal, timber, rubber but i chose to use oil as an example to depict my point. I know that they don't oil, i was just trying to justify my point. Hence why i put the rolleyes smilie to create a lighten mood in a rather sarcastic manner. It's alright, we all have opinions are are entitled to it. :smile:

Nah I wasn't really following on the conversation between you and the other guy. I just strolled in, read the last comment of the thread and agreed. :P

Tbh, the roll eye emoticon was not directed at you; it was just an implicit connotation towards these Arab countries aforementioned and some African countries in the way they make economic advantages of its resources.
Reply 69
Original post by Hamesh
Nah I wasn't really following on the conversation between you and the other guy. I just strolled in, read the last comment of the thread and agreed. :P

Tbh, the roll eye emoticon was not directed at you; it was just an implicit connotation towards these Arab countries aforementioned and some African countries in the way they make economic advantages of its resources.

The other guy has a name ¬_¬
Original post by nativeLondoner
Out of necessity or just plain sloppiness/vanity?

I dont buy the 'lack of access to conctraception' malarkey either..

They need people to work on the farms. Also their religions sometimes forbit condoms, which is backwards IMO but lol religion.

Also child benefit.

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Chengis
The other guy has a name ¬_¬

Sorry bro. :biggrin: I've sent you a friend invite as a result.
Reply 72
Original post by Hamesh

Sorry my bad. :tongue:. I agree with you. :five:
Reply 73
Anyway speaking of life expectancy being low as a reason for larger families is not wholly at odds with parts of the UK. Parts of Glasgow have a lower life expectancy than Gaza.

:s-smilie:
Original post by Vanny17
They all think africans like in jungles and don't wear clothing :rolleyes: (Not generalsing by the way, most non africans think this way)

Thats strange, pretty much every person I know assumes Africans live in shanty towns(at least the majority i.e the poor) or in badly constructed huts, not that they live in jungles.

I have never seen people assume that actually.

Anyway to everyone, my dad said this to me quite a few years ago how he hates all the adverts guilt tripping you into donating, that instead of wasting money on other things, just give them free condoms, will stop or greatly reduce most of the problems.

I agree with him since you hear about most of the problems being lack of food, sanitation, and very cramped homes, how would cutting down those problems be a bad thing?
Reply 75
Original post by drbluebox
Thats strange, pretty much every person I know assumes Africans live in shanty towns(at least the majority i.e the poor) or in badly constructed huts, not that they live in jungles.

I have never seen people assume that actually.

Anyway to everyone, my dad said this to me quite a few years ago how he hates all the adverts guilt tripping you into donating, that instead of wasting money on other things, just give them free condoms, will stop or greatly reduce most of the problems.

I agree with him since you hear about most of the problems being lack of food, sanitation, and very cramped homes, how would cutting down those problems be a bad thing?

Free condoms? They sell condoms in Africa. Maybe you should travel to Africa to know that not all the people are poor and lack the basic necessities of life. I quite agree like i said to someone before that there are poor people in Africa just like in other countries as well but the media always depict Africa as very deprived. This creates a false image that EVERYBODY in Africa are poor which is not true. It won't be a bad thing, i didn't say it was a bad thing. What is don't like is the negetive connotation that the word ''Africa'' has to anybody that hears it.
Original post by Vanny17
Free condoms? They sell condoms in Africa. Maybe you should travel to Africa to know that not all the people are poor and lack the basic necessities of life. I quite agree like i said to someone before that there are poor people in Africa just like in other countries as well but the media always depict Africa as very deprived. This creates a false image that EVERYBODY in Africa are poor which is not true. It won't be a bad thing, i didn't say it was a bad thing. What is don't like is the negetive connotation that the word ''Africa'' has to anybody that hears it.

Did I say that most people are lacking the basic necessities of life?

I had a flatmate 3 years ago from a wealthy African family, her son went to private school and his accent sounded posh English, in fact in his pictures of his school there was a huge amount more white people than black.

I was saying that to counter poverty then free condoms would help, as then if they are poor and could not afford them or could afford them but didnt as they had other essentials it would help a lot.

No offense but you should learn not to get offended to others, do you care if say someone has a problem with Scottish people thinking they are all alcoholics and not as educated as English people? As they are negative connotations but people generally only latch onto something that is in the media as being a bad situation.
Reply 77
Many families over there work on large farms and so need the children to do laborious work . . . Tough life
they think more children will make them more money, but they don't realize how much it costs to raise each child. Also most of them die before they are old enough to work anyway.
lack of access to contraception

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending