The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've made this thread a sticky! :smile:
Original post by Lord Hysteria
What is your objection to China? The fact that they might attack the USA ... out of interest ...

Not the U.S. per se, but China will certainly undermine its influence in the region and bully the likes of Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and others.

An arms race is imminent and arms races result in wars, hence why its a serious problem.

The UN "peacekeeping" force is such a bunch of worthless ****wits.

The UN need to use force to get rid of Gbagbo, and send him to the war crimes court. Get serious! Deploy air forces to bomb the offices where Gbagbo is hiding and take a progressive stance.

The UN's turning into--and dare I say it--the League of Nations.
Good idea, I'm often put off making threads to discuss each foreign affairs issue.

The UN "peacekeeping" force is such a bunch of worthless ****wits.

The UN need to use force to get rid of Gbagbo, and send him to the war crimes court. Get serious! Deploy air forces to bomb the offices where Gbagbo is hiding and take a progressive stance.

I completely agree. UN missions need to be far better resourced. They need to stop setting up peacekeeping forces that aren't of an adequate strength to actually carry out their mandate. Peacekeepers also need to be more .... not quite confrontational, but more willing to engage those who threaten civilians.
Reply 24
Looks like the UN is badly failing in Sudan. Can't say Im surprised but I really hoped this would be a turning point.
Reply 25
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12170235

They reached 60% voter turnout in Sudan.
"In the north 25% have voted - Khartoum state is quite high, over 50%," he said.

I'm confused - is the referendum happening in the North?
Reply 27
Anybody following the events taking place in Tunisia ?

Tunisia protests: Live bullets fired
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12180738
**** Ben Ali and the rest of his corrupt rats. I hope the people get their revolution, and show the world that they can still occur without Western interventions. Give 'em hell and vive la révolution.
Original post by Stalin
Not the U.S. per se, but China will certainly undermine its influence in the region and bully the likes of Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and others.

An arms race is imminent and arms races result in wars, hence why its a serious problem.

The UN's turning into--and dare I say it--the League of Nations.

China is one of the countries n the far-East that I don't feel qualified enough to comment. I think I'll order a decent book on it. So far, at least, most of my interest and efforts are in the Middle East, Africa and US. :frown:
Reply 30
Tunisian protests: Tunis marchers test Ben Ali's words

Thousands of demonstrators have gathered in the centre of the Tunisian capital, Tunis, calling for President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali to leave office immediately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12189535

By the looks of this it could get nasty..
Nasty's a fairly soft word to use to describe what the people will do to Ben Ali and/or the rest of his family if they get their hands on him/them.

On a side note: I'm anticipating some poor ****ing Mexican's revenge sooner rather than later after having eaten an entire jar of salsa for lunch.
Reply 32
Entire jar of salsa :eek4:
Well good luck with that :lol: make sure you leave the toilet roll in the freezer for the time being then.
Original post by Guvnor
Entire jar of salsa :eek4:
Well good luck with that :lol: make sure you leave the toilet roll in the freezer for the time being then.

And damn good salsa, at that. I think I'll have no choice but to do my business in the sea; it's probably a safer option.
Reply 34
Original post by Stalin
And damn good salsa, at that. I think I'll have no choice but to do my business in the sea; it's probably a safer option.

:rofl:
China is one of the countries n the far-East that I don't feel qualified enough to comment. I think I'll order a decent book on it. So far, at least, most of my interest and efforts are in the Middle East, Africa and US. :frown:

It's the great power politics theory. I'll break it down for you if you want:

1) Great powers--or at least emerging powers--have an abundance of economic power.

2) That economic power is transformed into military power in order to support--and if need be protect--their foreign policy and interests.

3) Once the great power in question (China) develops significant power projection capabilities (a blue-water navy), you can rest assured that it will attempt to undermine the current great powers' influence in certain regions (in this case the U.S. is the current superpower and the region in question is the Middle East).

4) China has built two dockyards, one in Sri Lanka and one in Pakistan. These dockyards will be used for its navy's interventions into the Middle East--and possibly to contain an emerging India. Now, they may not be military interventions à la U.S. in Iraq for example, however, if it's good for the U.S. to go into the Middle East with its navy, why wouldn't it be good for China to do the same? Bear in mind that the two dockyards are a minuscule scale of China's growing influence; read up on what it's doing in Africa.

5) Have a guess at what happens when great powers start competing for their rather unequal share of the world's resources. A good example of this is the East India Company, but every other great power has done it in the past.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Stalin

Original post by Stalin
It's the great power politics theory. I'll break it down for you if you want:

1) Great powers--or at least emerging powers--have an abundance of economic power.

2) That economic power is transformed into military power in order to support--and if need be protect--their foreign policy and interests.

3) Once the great power in question (China) develops significant power projection capabilities (a blue-water navy), you can rest assured that it will attempt to undermine the current great powers' influence in certain regions (in this case the U.S. is the current superpower and the region in question is the Middle East).

4) China has built two dockyards, one in Sri Lanka and one in Pakistan. These dockyards will be used for its navy's interventions into the Middle East--and possibly to contain an emerging India. Now, they may not be military interventions à la U.S. in Iraq for example, however, if it's good for the U.S. to go into the Middle East with its navy, why wouldn't it be good for China to do the same? Bear in mind that the two dockyards are a minuscule scale of China's growing influence; read up on what it's doing in Africa.

5) Have a guess at what happens when great powers start competing for their rather unequal share of the world's resources. A good example of this is the East India Company, but every other great power has done it in the past.

Yes, I am not stupid ... I understand that much. United States has managed to increase consumption without a proportional increase in it's production base. They are as vulnerable as the United States with the very fragile debt that is accumulating, which one day will have to be hyperinflated into the abyss. That would hurt China. My point is that I don't see China as much as a threat as islamofacism and such like. There is a motivation there which is dangerous. Can the same be said of China?

In any case, I want to study it in detail and understand the political, social and historical setup in China, and so forth. I don't want to have to resort to "you can rest assured" kind of sentiments ...
Yes, I am not stupid ... I understand that much. United States has managed to increase consumption without a proportional increase in it's production base. They are as vulnerable as the United States with the very fragile debt that is accumulating, which one day will have to be hyperinflated into the abyss. That would hurt China. My point is that I don't see China as much as a threat as islamofacism and such like. There is a motivation there which is dangerous. Can the same be said of China?

In any case, I want to study it in detail and understand the political, social and historical setup in China, and so forth. I don't want to have to resort to "you can rest assured" kind of sentiments ...

China has an enormous surplus, ergo it can afford to spend more.

Of course the same can be said about China, and here's the main difference: China has a shopping list (Taiwan, South China Sea etc) and nuclear weapons, something the Mullahs and the rest of the fundamentalists don't have.

As for the threat, of course China's a threat. Like all great powers, it has sought to better its situation by gaining a larger share in the balance of power, which is why we're currently experiencing this shift from West to East. Don't you view this as a threat to Western hegemony?

Who's funding our liberations, wars etc?

Who's building a stealth fighter, 5 aircraft carriers and allegedly has an anti-ship ballistic missile in order to deter the U.S. Navy from its sphere of influence?

And these aren't threats? What are they then? Daisy chains?

Islamofascism can be tamed with a bit of money and if need be, a slap to the face. China, however, is far too strong to be disciplined. It's the adolescent who's all grown up, if you will.
Original post by Stalin

Original post by Stalin

Of course the same can be said about China, and here's the main difference: China has a shopping list (Taiwan, South China Sea etc) and nuclear weapons, something the Mullahs and the rest of the fundamentalists don't have.

As for the threat, of course China's a threat. Like all great powers, it has sought to better its situation by gaining a larger share in the balance of power, which is why we're currently experiencing this shift from West to East. Don't you view this as a threat to Western hegemony?

Who's building a stealth fighter, 5 aircraft carriers and allegedly has an anti-ship ballistic missile in order to deter the U.S. Navy from its sphere of influence?

Islamofascism can be tamed with a bit of money and if need be, a slap to the face. China, however, is far too strong to be disciplined. It's the adolescent who's all grown up, if you will.

Also take into account Islamist groups don't have one unique voice. There's dozens of them competing against each other and this prevents them from growing as they're constantly knocking each other back. They also only really have influence in unimportant regions with a very poor population, low stability/economy etc. whereas China is one major organised power with massive resources behind it coupled with a big military capable of huge influence in the region and in particular against strong economies such as Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea etc. and is growing rapidly in places like Africa and soon the Middle East (they acquired a lot of Iraqi oil contracts iirc).
Original post by Stalin

Original post by Stalin

Arh! There is so much I want to respond to here, but I have to get ready to meet some friends to go out in central London ... I shall respond to this tomorrow - but you do sound rather hysterical ! But I have debated you before, and you're easy to bend :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending